Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIV|Planning for MacK Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Yup.. Only a moron would lay the blame at Landys feet. How about all the other things that we severely lack in? Both on and off the ice? He's part of the solution, not the problem. Isn't his fault that everything else has been ****.

If I’m reading these last few pages correctly...

Reasons Landy is a bad captain:

- Can’t play goalie like a prime Patrick Roy
- Didn’t draft players like Brayden Point, Gaudreau and Kucherov with later round picks
- Doesn’t play defense like Lidstrom
- Doesn’t score like Ovi
- Can’t surgically provide Wilson with hands that aren’t made of concrete
- Can’t infuse Bork with NHL-level talent
- Can’t develop players the way Tampa Bay can
- Speaks in cliches

Did I miss anything? I think this about sums it up.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

- Didn’t draft players like Brayden Point, Gaudreau and Kucherov with later round picks
- Doesn’t score like Ovi
- Speaks in cliches

um....f*** anyone who has hair like that seriously...nobody deserves that shit.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Will you just give us your crappy Chicago trade offer for Mack so we can turn it down and you can mosey on back to the Blackhawks board

I recommended Toews as a leader. I was a Hawks fan way back when. Have deep, like uber deep connections to the Avs and care to see them win. My OP encouraged a great player to advance his overall, that included leadership. Do we not understand leadership, and aspirations towards that? It is entertaining to see how quickly the OP got skewed.

BTW, have never posted to the Hawks board. Espo was my role model. Have never advocated Mac trade to the Hawks. Fake noise. Learn to read and comprehend. Or better, don't. There are a couple folks who understand the import of my OP.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Can we please get back to discussing what Sakic isn't going to do this summer and what kind of return he'll get for Zadorov?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I hope the Avs are going to make a serious effort to improve the team for once. Keeping both Kerfoot and Brassard means that there is barely any room for new signings, especially if the Avs intend to have Greer in the NHL.

I understand, but you can't totally gut some of the positions.
  • Brassard. Experience, leadership, faceoff, Winger/2C.
  • Kerfoot. Smart 40 point player, slot into varying lines.
  • Varly. Dominant games with inconsistency issues, backup role.
AVs should seriously consider if they're willing to accept cheap short term deals.

Reactions: Tru

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I hope the Avs are going to make a serious effort to improve the team for once. Keeping both Kerfoot and Brassard means that there is barely any room for new signings, especially if the Avs intend to have Greer in the NHL.
I dunno I think if they are reasonable contracts it gives us depth and some guys who can sub in when injuries strike.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
AVs should seriously consider if they're willing to accept cheap short term deals.
If the Avs are going to have both Brassard and Kerfoot in top 9 roles next year, then they have not been serious about taking the next step.

Kerfoot is only suited for a top 6 scoring role and lets be real here no good team should want him on their top lines.

Brassard has the production of a 4th liner despite top 6 minutes with MacKinnon and PP time. He was garbage for the Panthers and Pens as well.

If people want the Avs to become a contender they need to accept that we need better players.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I recommended Toews as a leader. I was a Hawks fan way back when. Have deep, like uber deep connections to the Avs and care to see them win. My OP encouraged a great player to advance his overall, that included leadership. Do we not understand leadership, and aspirations towards that? It is entertaining to see how quickly the OP got skewed.

BTW, have never posted to the Hawks board. Espo was my role model. Have never advocated Mac trade to the Hawks. Fake noise. Learn to read and comprehend. Or better, don't. There are a couple folks who understand the import of my OP.

So you claim to care to see Avs to win, yet at the same time, you wish their franchise player went somewhere else, where they have proper "culture" and "leadership" i guess. Most bizzare way of cheering for a hockey team, has to be said.

Too much talk about this fabled leadership. Surely, its important. I would say alongside luck its main difference between the SC winners and runner-ups. But its not Colorado´s problem. Their problem is lack of quality in their roster. Some of their young players (Jost, Kerfoot, Girard, Zadorov, etc...) need to improve, some other need to be downright replaced be it via free agency or through drafting. That wont happen overnight.

Avs are not underperforming. Their current position in the league table reflects exactly what they are, bubble team, who may or may not make the play-offs. If anyone expected different, i have to wonder on what basis, especially since the roster remained pretty much the same in comparison to last year, when Avs barely made the play-offs. This time around, they barely may not, surprise, surprise.

If (when) they eventually fix their roster issues, yet still wont be doing well, then we can talk about lack of leadership or culture. Until then, even Toews´es awesome intangibles would not help here. After all, they are not currently helping much in Chicago, them being level on points with Avs, despite their apparent pedigree for winning. Even if he says all the right things in post-match interview.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

- Doesn’t score like Ovi
- Speaks in cliches

Random fact, but apparently the Flames scouting staff really wanted them to pick Kucherov and Gaudreau, but the higher ups didn't want to take the risk on both. Can you imagine how insane a Gaudreau-Monahan-Kucherov line would be?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Bourque
Wilson
Ghetto
Kerfoot
Brassard
Nemeth
Varlamov

All have an expiring contract and I really hope Sakic doesn't bring anyone back.
This list is spot on. None of those guys should be back if you want to build a playoff team. The only one I could sightly live with is Wilson on a 1 year deal to play 4th line minutes.

The rest of those guys are terrible hockey players and shouldn't be near the NHL, and that includes Kerfoot.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Random fact, but apparently the Flames scouting staff really wanted them to pick Kucherov and Gaudreau, but the higher ups didn't want to take the risk on both. Can you imagine how insane a Gaudreau-Monahan-Kucherov line would be?
Wow, I’m glad all I have to do is imagine. I hate the Flames as it is!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

You're not totally gutting them at all. If anything keeping Kerf and Brassard both means you have too many cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

Landy, Mack, Rants, Jost, Compher, Calvert, Nieto, Soderberg.... That's 8 guys locked into this team already for next season. If you keep both Brassard and Kerf now you're up to 10. Then you've got Kamenev, Greer, Andrighetto, Bowers, Kaut, Ottawa 2019 1st..., any number of those guys could easily be in the lineup as well.

Long story short is if this team is going to legitimately improve this summer and go out and get a real Top 6 forward, its going to be to replace one of Kerf or Brassard(Probably Brass), and if they keep both around it's not a good sign for this team next year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Brassard reminds me of Tanguay in his last season. He knows how to play hockey. He’s not a liability and if the puck finds his stick you know he will at least make a hockey play. But overall he’s just kinda there.

I like him with Mackinnon because he isn’t a play killer. He’s not going to wow you in any way but he will keep plays alive which is all you want with Nate. When guys like Kerfoot, Ghetto, Jost and Gork tough the puck it’s just a matter of time before the other team possesses it. At least Brassard can keep plays alive.

Reactions: LTC Pain

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Keep Brassard around if you can get him for $3m or less a season for 3 or less years. If that can't be done, don't get locked in there. Kerfoot will head to arbitration or be traded... arbitration will be risky because the Avs can't walk away if the contract is ~4.25m or less. Which is right were Kerfoot will be around.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad