Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Seems like the cheap rental Bednar would want and Sakic can afford

It would be a dumb way to blow a good value pick. I'm not saying don't trade picks but certainly don't waste them on renting on a decaying UFA like Brassard who's name value is so much higher than what he is providing on the ice it's not even funny.

Heck, I don't want Dzingel either but if you are going to blow a pick, might as well top it off with something extra like another pick or good prospect and at least get a guy you *think* could be part of a solution for more than just a couple months, even if it's not a guarantee.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I still think Sakic is aiming for Dzingel. Maybe taking Ghetto's spot if he can find a buyer. That Mack line could use Dzingel right now. There's been too many scouts between the Avs and Ottawa in the last month for me not to think some discussion is/was going on there and I can't see Sakic interested in the price it'd take to get Stone. Dzingel will be much cheaper.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I still think Sakic is aiming for Dzingel. Maybe taking Ghetto's spot if he can find a buyer. That Mack line could use Dzingel right now. There's been too many scouts between the Avs and Ottawa in the last month for me not to think some discussion is/was going on there and I can't see Sakic interested in the price it'd take to get Stone. Dzingel will be much cheaper.

I dunno, if you trust Bob it sounds like we're aiming a lot higher than Dzingel from Ottawa.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Most I’d give for Dzingel would be a 2nd, a mid level prospect and they can have Kerfoot to plug the hole as he’s young and cheap.

First rounds (any year) and any of our best prospects should be strictly off the table for renting Dzingel for a couple months IMO.

Sens are expecting a 1st at minimum most likely because they can sell Dzingels goal total and relatively young age (though he’s an UFA so that’s pretty irrelevant).

What’s the most others would give up for him?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That was back from the offseason, yeah? Nobody had explicitly said the Avs are still interested and in the mix right now.

I thought it was from yesterday. Certainly sounded like it by the language that was being used calling Stone a Rental and questioning why the Avs were interested in a rental.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I thought it was from yesterday. Certainly sounded like it by the language that was being used calling Stone a Rental and questioning why the Avs were interested in a rental.

I must have missed it then? All I saw yesterday was McKenzie saying Calgary and Winnipeg are most interested in Stone; he expects other teams are too; and then said as an example the Avs contemplated offersheeting Stone last offseason. He never said they are still in the hunt for him now from what I saw. Might be wrong.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'd be down to trade a 2nd and some low end prospects for Dzingel. Similar to the Boedker trade. We have two 1sts, a 2nd and two 3rds. The 3rd is almost guaranteed to be the first pick in the 3rd round. We can afford to give up a 2nd.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I must have missed it then? All I saw yesterday was McKenzie saying Calgary and Winnipeg are most interested in Stone; he expects other teams are too; and then said as an example the Avs contemplated offersheeting Stone last offseason. He never said they are still in the hunt for him now from what I saw. Might be wrong.

Can't link the full article cause I'm on my phone but this poster does a solid summary:

SENATORS AND RANGERS TRADE WATCH
OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch reports Senators forwards Mark Stone and Ryan Dzingel were scratched from last night’s game against the Columbus Blue Jackets as they await their fates. He believes Dzingel has one foot out the door after spurning a five-year contract offer worth in excess of $20 million, but there’s a chance (albeit slim) that Stone could re-sign before Monday’s trade deadline.

Garrioch thinks 17 or 18 clubs, including the Winnipeg Jets, Calgary Flames, Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning, may have expressed interest in Stone. The asking price is said to be higher than what the Senators received for Matt Duchene (two prospects, a first-round pick and a conditional first) from the Blue Jackets. The Chicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins could be sniffing around on Dzingel, with the Sens seeking a first-round pick or a high-end prospect in return.

NICHOLS ON HOCKEY: TSN’s Bob McKenzie believes the Jets, Predators, Flames, and New York Islanders could be among the suitors for Stone. He also brought up the Colorado Avalanche but isn’t sure where they are regarding a rental player. McKenzie also suggests what could be complicating things is teams could prefer acquiring Stone if they feel they can sign him rather than getting him as a rental for the playoffs.
SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Duchene trade was the first major domino to drop in the market. I think interest in Stone will only increase and I wouldn’t be surprised if he and Dzingel are traded before Monday’s 3 pm ET deadline. Could be a bidding war going on that stretches this out for a bit. We’ll find out soon enough. The Jets and Predators are thought to be the front-runners.

I dunno if its Bob suggesting hes mor sure where we stand with Stone as a rental or if he means something else but it does seem like we're still being linked to him.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

That was back from the offseason, yeah? Nobody had explicitly said the Avs are still interested and in the mix right now.

You guys talking about this? If so, yeah it was offseason talk.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yup. Avs had interest in Stone last summer, it stopped once he signed his 1 year deal and ticket straight to UFA.

Reactions: CB Joe

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Next year seems a little fast. We'd be relying on a lot of rookies.

That’s why it’s important that Joe finally get off his ass this summer to address our 2nd line or lack of a #1 blueliner, and fix the goalie situation.

It is imperative that we finally start making progress and win our first playoff series since the golden days; at least if we don’t want to squander our window like the Jets have theirs.

Last edited:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
After doing some research, I've come to the following conclusions:

If we trade for a rental*, the only two we should go for are Skinner and Hayes.

This is because they'd be on my list of free agent targets, which in terms of forwards looks like**:
  1. Stone
  2. Brock Nelson
  3. Ferland
  4. Hayes
  5. Joonas Donskoi
  6. Jeff Skinner
And if we miss out on all six, I'd at least consider one of Richard Panik, Marcus Johansson, or Brett Connolly.

*I don't think we should
**assuming they go to market

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Is this because the price on Stone is prohibitive? I think you're right, it would cost a package around Avs 1st and that may be a bit too high.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Is this because the price on Stone is prohibitive? I think you're right, it would cost a package around Avs 1st and that may be a bit too high.

Yeah I don't think we should get into the Stone bidding war.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm about to go to bed, but I'll be dreaming tonight of:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Jost - Hughes - Stone
Nieto - Soderberg - Donskoi
Calvert - Compher - O'Connor

(That's five right shooters, by the way)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

This is because they'd be on my list of free agent targets, which in terms of forwards looks like**:
  1. Stone
  2. Brock Nelson
  3. Ferland
  4. Hayes
  5. Joonas Donskoi
  6. Jeff Skinner
And if we miss out on all six, I'd at least consider one of Richard Panik, Marcus Johansson, or Brett Connolly.

*I don't think we should
**assuming they go to market

Brock Nelson? Really? He seems like the prime candidate to sign a horrible deal before regressing into irrelevance. Though Ferland will get overpaid to; he'll at least still provide you with value, even if he never matches this year's totals & doesn't give you full value for the money he'll get. Nelson is my bet to be this FA-class's Boedker.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Girard has been fine on the 2nd PP unit. Not consistently maybe but he's shown he can manage.

I think people are blowing a lack of familiarity and chemistry out of proportion. Sure he hasn't looked great with the top unit lately when given the chance, but who has? Landy has looked like he's playing with a tennis ball on the PP lately.

It's not like Girard is incapable of laying up a one-timer for MacK or Mikko, he just isn't the guy practicing it every warmups/practice like MacK/Barrie are. I'm not advocating dumping Barrie any time soon but if Girard had to be THE guy I'm sure - with some time to get familiarized with one another and the unit's system - Girard could fill in adequately on the PP1. Not tomorrow, but given a run with the top unit it's unreasonable to expect no improvement whatsoever.

That's not to say that Makar won't be a better option at some point, possibly sooner than later, just that everyone acts like Makar needs to be a 1-for-1 replacement for what Barrie brings to the team when we already have a guy on the roster with a lot of the same tools, further along in his development.

I'm not on the Barrie-must-go bandwagon, but if we do lose him at some point it's not going to be as simple as losing his 60 points a year and all of the remaining guys adding zero back. He's far from easy to replace, but by committee I think we'd still have respectable output from the backend (assuming Makar at minimum provides some offence right off the bat, before he puts his full 2-way game together).

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I just can't see the Avs grabbing a rental or stop-gap addition. I think any move they make will be for someone that still has years left on their contract or, maybe with Dzingel or Stone, are signing an extension as part of the trade.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Brock Nelson? Really? He seems like the prime candidate to sign a horrible deal before regressing into irrelevance. Though Ferland will get overpaid to; he'll at least still provide you with value, even if he never matches this year's totals & doesn't give you full value for the money he'll get. Nelson is my bet to be this FA-class's Boedker.

He is. Been unmotivated and lazy his entire career. Suddenly has a career year when he can become a pending UFA and has Trotz chewing him up. That’s got disaster written all over it.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad