Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I agree with the people who say Girard can't replace Barrie on the PP, but I'll adjust that to he can't directly replace Barrie. I think Girard can replace Barrie's ability to carry the puck up the ice and contribute to getting it in the zone (or *sigh* drop pass it). Where he can't replace Barrie is being a genuine shooting threat from the blue line. So if we trade Barrie, someone else will have to man the point, and I see Girard as a set-up man. Maybe put him in Mac's spot and put Mac on the blue line - he seems to like shooting from there at 5-on-5 anyway.

As for whether Barrie should be moved, I think most of you know my thoughts on that. I expect Makar to be able to replace a lot of Barrie's role, and Girard as well. Heck, I could even see Graves getting powerplay time as he develops, as he seems to have decent offensive instincts. I could also see the Avs for with a 5 forwards look and being successful at it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If we strike out on EK and Barrie is gone, the replacement is obviously EJ at the point. And that means on thing: lots of players writhing in agony over hurt shins.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Zadorov and Graves can. Barrie is a hell of a hockey player but his first pass isn’t very good. His legs are what’s valued on his controlled exits.

Yeah, this is going to be an area where Makar will almost have an immediate and major impact on this team. He'd be the best passer on the back end almost instantly and his ability to quickly start breakouts or transitions off his passes will be noticeable right away.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm not suggesting we trade Barrie but the market on RHD right now is pretty insane and there's always a premium on top of that for puck movers. I think if the Avs really wanted to see what they could get - we as fans might even be underrating what the return could and should be. Just sayin'.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Lovejoy just got a 3rd and an ok depth Dman...

Could we get a 2nd for Nemeth? Gotta believe we could get at least a 3rd for him if Lovejoy just got one. IMO Nemeth is better

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Just because Girard may be able to run a PP someday, doesn’t mean he can do it now.
Are we making a cup run this year? I think this is the time we have to use to develop G into a PP QB. Also Barrie's not exactly good at it. He constantly passes into Mack's feet and his inability to make a simple drop pass for zone entries is exasperating. The Avs should definitely start trying other D men on the top unit because of how ineffective it had become now that the tape on it is out.

Reactions: klozge

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Just because Girard may be able to run a PP someday, doesn’t mean he can do it now.
I'm fine with him playing second unit. He's good enough at making plays and he atleast seems to be able to make zone entries at a reasonable rate. While I think he'll always be the second PPQB I also think he will grow to handle those duties quite well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Are we making a cup run this year? I think this is the time we have to use to develop G into a PP QB. Also Barrie's not exactly good at it. He constantly passes into Mack's feet and his inability to make a simple drop pass for zone entries is exasperating. The Avs should definitely start trying other D men on the top unit because of how ineffective it had become now that the tape on it is out.

We should be next year

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I really wanna see us make some kind of trade, but also too nervous they do something stupid like move big Z.
images

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen the “lows” from Zadorov that he’s been showing recently. There’s always been inconsistency, but when he has a bad night lately it’s worse than ever. It scares me.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
With all this talk about Barrie vs Girard on the powerplay, how about this:

PP1: Landeskog - Compher - Rantanen
MacKinnon - Graves

Have pretty much any of Landy/JT/Rants take on Barrie's role coming up the ice, MacKinnon carries it in as usual. Graves either blasts it or passes it to MacKinnon/Rantanen.

PP2: Jost/Ghetto - Soderberg - Girard
Kerfoot - Barrie

Barrie plays the Graves role, Girard plays the Rantanen role, Kerfoot plays the MacKinnon role, Soderberg plays the Landeskog role, and Jost/Ghetto plays the Compher role.

And for the love of god, don't always do the drop pass. Have at least three different zone entry variations that all look the same until the moment the puck is moved. I'd suggest one stretch pass, one skate in, and the drop pass.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bednar's recent shake-ups have been working, I don't see the point in Brassard. He's an UFA and he's clearly not close the player he once was. There'd be little reason to keep him past being a rental and then we've just blown a 2nd round pick for what?

Reactions: MarkT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad