Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Yeah Girard-Barrie is a money pairing and has been for a while now.

Put them together on the 2nd pairing and put EJ/Zadorov together for the tougher matchups and you've got a legitimately good 2nd pairing. People also seriously need to get over this old school big shutdown guy paired with small offensive guy nonsense. The NHL isn't like that anymore and hasn't been for a while.
Its a different game in the playoffs. Name a cup contender that has a 2nd pairing like Girard-Barrie? There are none and its not a coincidence.

Also, where is Makar? He is not going to be on the 3rd pair for years.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Pretty sure that's a moot point anyway as I don't expect Barrie to be around long-term.
I hope the Avs trade him, losing him to UFA would be as dumb as it gets and I don't see where he fits long-term. That being said, we don't have any idea what is going to happen.

Reactions: klozge

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not a fan of having two undersized D on the same pair, especially when one is average at best defensively. The Avs are going to be a team that looks to go deep in the playoffs in the not too distant future and I don't think a pairing like that is really what you want for a cup run.

Cole belongs on the 3rd pair and hopefully won't even be here after his deal is done.

Because cole is above average defensively?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Its a different game in the playoffs. Name a cup contender that has a 2nd pairing like Girard-Barrie? There are none and its not a coincidence.

Also, where is Makar? He is not going to be on the 3rd pair for years.

Josi-Ellis as Hench mentioned before.

Also weren’t Letang and Schultz partners during one of the cup runs?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I have no graph or data to back up my point so this is just from remembering the games.

IIRC the Barrie/Girard pairing happens mainly when we are down by 1-3 goals in the third period. In these situations the forwards are putting the most pressure on the opposite teams resulting in being in the offensive zone much more and helping considerably in making that pairing look that good. If they were played regularly in the 1st and 2nr periods and when we have the lead IMO they wouldn't nearly look as good. I know NHL hockey has changed but as some others have said playoffs hockey is much different than regular season games and I have a big problem thinking they could handle that.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Barrie and Girard play togheter when the team is all-in for a goal. That's why they have stats like that.

For the same reason Avs often have better advanced stats when they lose games...they are chasing and the other team is defending.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad