Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
They tried Girard on the #1 powerplay tonight. Think it was the Avs’ third powerplay, after the first two did nothing, so Bednar tried taking Barrie off. Girard overplayed it at the blue line, tried to force a pass, turned it over, set up a nearly odd man rush for Chicago shorthanded, and then while coming back on defense batted it straight to the top corner of the Avs net, forcing the save of the night from Varly. When you hash things up that badly you don’t get an immediate redo. Girard can’t replace Barrie on the top unit. His shot is a muffin — and pkers know it — and he’s not the right puck distributor for MacK and Rants. Those two want the puck, but G tends to overplay his hand and do too much himself, e.g. trying to spin off the pker up high. Girard is not right for that role right now whatsoever. I think some posters are confusing Girard’s skill with the puck with the skills necessary to efficiently move the puck around to MacK and Rants while simultaneously posing a genuine threat from the point.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Girard gets blinders when he has the puck. He misses easy passing lanes opting for the much riskier play or attempts to spin his way out of it. I’m not convinced all the flash and pizzaz is going to lead to much.

He's very young, give him time. He has the pedigree it's not like he came out of nowhere.

Dmen who reach the NHL at young age tend to do be super impressive at first but it's often followed by a couple of years where they appear to stagnate. Even older guys like Provorov/Werenski/Carlo have it rough these days.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
G can’t run a PP like Barrie, but he’s still so young. Barrie didn’t look as good as G in his 2nd year.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think it's disrespectful to point out that Girard can't run a PP as well as Barrie can. It's obvious he can't.

It's possible he could in 2-3 years time. I don't think he will get there, but it's possible.

Reactions: cgf

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't think it's disrespectful to point out that Girard can't run a PP as well as Barrie can. It's obvious he can't.

It's possible he could in 2-3 years time. I don't think he will get there, but it's possible.

Well, Barrie is elite puckmoving defenseman in NHL. It's no shame to be as good as him, there's not many better than Barrie.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Still laughing at Columbus oh man. They are going all in with a roster that barely is in a playoff spot and with arguably one of the worst, if not the worst, playoff performer of the cap era in goal. Good luck with that.

Worst case scenario, they miss the dance and lose the big names to UFA leaving the franchise in shambles.

Way too much risk and lost assets for a team that has no business competing for a cup. Its just as crazy as Sakic deciding that the time to win is now and we need to go after the big name rentals. Kinda reminds me of the time Atlanta went all in.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The thing with Barrie is that his production has changed. Between 2013/14 and 2015/16 he was 7th in even strength points and 22th in power play points among defenders. He jumped up in the play and walked into the slot, creating offense.

The last three seasons he's 18th in even strength points and 9th in power play points. These days he's not jumping up in the play and more of his offense is based around moving the puck to MacKinnon or Rantanen on the power play.

Nothing wrong with being able to pass tape to tape on the PP but could Makar replace that?
I believe Makar could make Barrie expandable as early as next fall. Barrie gets points on the PP just by being there. He is not making tape-to-tape passes, his passing is average. His shot is fine, but not amazing. I’d love if we could make a hockey trade for Barrie while his value is high (and inflated), for a top-6 forward or a good 2-way D.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I believe Makar could make Barrie expandable as early as next fall. Barrie gets points on the PP just by being there. He is not making tape-to-tape passes, his passing is average. His shot is fine, but not amazing. I’d love if we could make a hockey trade for Barrie while his value is high (and inflated), for a top-6 forward or a good 2-way D.

Barrie’s passing and shot are way above average. They get through to the net.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder could the Avs make a play for Taylor Hall this summer? Sounds like he really could be available and would be so fantastic in our Top 6.

Barrie + Avs 1st + Bowers for Hall + Severson at the draft(Severson supposedly could be had also).

Hall - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landy - Hughes - JTC
Calvert - Soda - Nieto
Greer - Kamenev - Jost

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Severson
Cole - Makar

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Girard is 20 year old defenseman who has had his struggles this year, but is still a quality top-4 puck moving defensemen. Do Avs fans not remember the Guenin/Zanon days? It seems that nobody wants to be patient nowadays. Before the season most Avs fans didn’t really expect to make the playoffs, but the hot start has caused a lot of fans to get delusional and think that we’re supposed to be world beaters or something.

We’ll also add Makar/Timmins/Kaut/OTT Pick/Avs pick next year to our roster/prospect pool as well as over $30 million in cap space. The Avs are getting set up to make Stanley Cup runs for the next 10 years and we’re stressing about getting knocked out in the first round this year?? Y’all need to get a grip!!

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If we were to get Hall I'd rather he drive his own line. One of the few wingers who can do that.

Pretty damn expensive top 6 too, I'd rather address things in UFA first, see if we can't get Stone, Hayes or some other guy for just cash, then go down the trade route.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I disagree, when do you see his passing dissecting the PK? He just moves it around to Mack or Mikko.

For his shot, it’s good but not great.

He lacks creative passing on the PP, was thinking more of his first pass and passing in the offensive zone when he's deep. Lately though it's his shot that is more valuable, he always seems to get it through. Doesn't change the fact that he may not want to re-sign and should be traded then in the offseason.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I disagree, when do you see his passing dissecting the PK? He just moves it around to Mack or Mikko.

For his shot, it’s good but not great.

Barrie is one of the worst breakout passers on this team. He can move the puck...if he’s the one who has it on his stick and is moving it, but passing is definitely not Barrie’s strong suit!!

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder could the Avs make a play for Taylor Hall this summer? Sounds like he really could be available and would be so fantastic in our Top 6.

Barrie + Avs 1st + Bowers for Hall + Severson at the draft(Severson supposedly could be had also).

Hall - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landy - Hughes - JTC
Calvert - Soda - Nieto
Greer - Kamenev - Jost

Girard - EJ
Zadorov - Severson
Cole - Makar
The Devils were scouting us in the game against Winnipeg Wednesday. Zadorov, Jost and Ghetto all played really good games. I was hoping they got a false impression on them based on one game lol.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Barrie is one of the worst breakout passers on this team. He can move the puck...if he’s the one who has it on his stick and is moving it, but passing is definitely not Barrie’s strong suit!!

You think Zadorov, Graves, and Nemeth can do a breakout pass better than Barrie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad