Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's on Sakic to discover this summer, but an agency does what its client wants. So if Barrie doesn't want to be unreasonable...like Roy's departure, his previous deal & Nate's presence would suggest...there's no reason for a sensible deal not to get struck this summer.

I think that idea gets thrown around a little too loosely sometimes. It's true for the most part, but they also pitch ideas to their clients on what they think a player's market value is, and what the best course of action is to get that price. Then let the player decide based on the information they've provided.

Sometimes they're wrong about both, and sometimes they develop a sour relationship with the GM because of their tactics. That's why players get traded when they wanted to stay, get less than they thought they would, end up with their preferred teams passing on them for others, or end up stuck out in the cold late in July because they misjudged the market.

It's also why players switch representation. Agents are just like everyone else, they get it wrong sometimes.

Reactions: MarkT

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I believe it. I know for a fact that the Avs are going to go super hard after Stone if he makes it to FA. Like, they’ll do EVERYTHING they can to try and get him. Which is great to hear because he’s exactly the type of player we need to be targeting.

I mean, that sounds good and all, but do we really need a guy with hair like that...?

mark-stone-2019-54.jpg

Reactions: MrPeePee and cgf

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I hope Sakic sees if he can trade that absolute muffin Alexander Kerfoot for some UFA winger. For gods sake there has to be a GM dumb enough. Come on, Dorion, give Dzingel.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I hope Winnipeg, Nashville, Dallas and St Louis spend a lot of resources in the coming 60 hours and Avs don't. In the long run I think that would help Avs.

Reactions: Goulet17

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
How to replace Barrie and Varly? Both will probably test the FA market.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think that idea gets thrown around a little too loosely sometimes. It's true for the most part, but they also pitch ideas to their clients on what they think a player's market value is, and what the best course of action is to get that price. Then let the player decide based on the information they've provided.

Sometimes they're wrong about both, and sometimes they develop a sour relationship with the GM because of their tactics. That's why players get traded when they wanted to stay, get less than they thought they would, end up with their preferred teams passing on them for others, or end up stuck out in the cold late in July because they misjudged the market.

It's also why players switch representation. Agents are just like everyone else, they get it wrong sometimes.

Agents f*** up, but they don't intentionally force players out of teams that players want to stay with like some folks here make it seem Newport will do with Barrie, despite his bromance with MacK.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
- Decent return for Duchene; Abramov was always super skilled but smaller player, while I absolutely LOVE Davidsson (fantastic two-wayer who you win Cups with). E: Just realised while making this post it was for Marcus Davidsson's brother Jonathan and not for Marcus Davidsson who is actually a draft selection from Buffalo. Meh, that actually decreases my appreciation for this deal. Not sure Duchene is a talented enough player to help CBJ get beyond the 2nd round. Nonetheless, the Senators are a superb drafting team (even with all the financial issues and not drafting any Russians) so giving them some artillery in the 1st should help them quite a bit in their rebuild.

- Quite like the Jensen trade for both teams, Bowey still has more potential and Caps were not going to wait for him to develop. You ship him out and get a defender who can help you for the next couple of years (while Detroit can wait the patient game with Madison). Jensen is good, but I wouldn't consider him great - he's a Duncan Keith-lite for me. Good defence IQ, mobile, and can make some plays happen offencively. Was super exposed in Detroit, but gets to play bottom 3 minutes which should do wonders for the Caps depth holes. RW also get a 2nd rounder and with their scout team should probably find a decent player there.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The thing with Barrie is that his production has changed. Between 2013/14 and 2015/16 he was 7th in even strength points and 22th in power play points among defenders. He jumped up in the play and walked into the slot, creating offense.

The last three seasons he's 18th in even strength points and 9th in power play points. These days he's not jumping up in the play and more of his offense is based around moving the puck to MacKinnon or Rantanen on the power play.

Nothing wrong with being able to pass tape to tape on the PP but could Makar replace that?

Reactions: MarkT and klozge

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Thought the Sens would get Fabbro in a Duchene deal...so now I think they'll get him in a Stone deal. Fabbro is the kind of player that Dorion is after.

Crazy that the 2 big rivals at the top of the central will try to outbid each other for Stone.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
The thing with Barrie is that his production has changed. Between 2013/14 and 2015/16 he was 7th in even strength points and 22th in power play points among defenders. He jumped up in the play and walked into the slot, creating offense.

The last three seasons he's 18th in even strength points and 9th in power play points. These days he's not jumping up in the play and more of his offense is based around moving the puck to MacKinnon or Rantanen on the power play.

Nothing wrong with being able to pass tape to tape on the PP but could Makar replace that?

Girard can.

Reactions: klozge and Brett44

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Girard can.

I don't think Girard can run a PP. It's not a skill issue. It's a decision making issue. He tries to force shots when the situation is wrong. He doesn't recognize situations that can turn into scoring chances well enough.

After his first season here I saw him as a potential 30-35 point type player and nothing I've seen since has changed my mind. Certainly nothing to sneer at but he's can't replace Barrie.

Reactions: Ivan13 and Avs44

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Girard can.
Have you seen Girard on the 1st unit PP? MacKinnon can't stand playing with him there.

We saw in the game vs Winnipeg on a PP with the two of them going back and forth, after the whistle MacKinnon just had a pure look of confusion on his face, and reading his lips you could see he was asking Girard if he wanted a one-timer and if he was trying to give a one-timer.

Girard is very skilled, but he doesn't really tee guys up well on the PP.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There's definitely a bit of a chemistry issue between Nate and Sammy--they're working through it.

Hard to believe Patrik Nemeth was by all accounts the Avs' best defenseman tonight...and they won.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Girard have the best IQ on the team, let him sometimes on PP and he will do better than Barrie.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
How many defensman 20 years old can drive a PP in Nhl?When i said Let sometime i dont wan't say 1 month but 2-3 year . Barrie drive average To well since 2 years before that he was bad.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
AJ rightly pointed out that one big change to Barrie's game over the years is that he gained a lethal shot. I don't really think it's any more powerful than EJ's but the difference is one guy can get it through traffic, and the other guy can't. As such, one guy's offense remained elite, the other's kinda leveled off. Sammy hasn't learned it yet either, and that's going to be something that'll affect the power play should Barrie depart. And yes, I know the power play has been bad even WITH Barrie, but a guy with a shot like that who has the puckmoving skills Barrie has will not be easy to replace in any regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille