Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXIII|Why You Guys Post So Much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wennberg healthy scratch? Kinda hope we are calling Columbus about buying low on him...seems like that is a shoe that is going to drop after the Duchene deal. I like him as a project...and unlike a guy like Burakovsky, even if he isn't producing he can at least be a useful defensive center in the bottom 6. Looked like a legit two-way, playmaking young center a couple years ago with a bright future. Can't imagine the cost being that steep. They can have Kerfoot (cheaper) and a pick if they want!

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Wennberg healthy scratch? Kinda hope we are calling Columbus about buying low on him...seems like that is a shoe that is going to drop after the Duchene deal. I like him as a project...and unlike a guy like Burakovsky, even if he isn't producing he can at least be a useful defensive center in the bottom 6. Looked like a legit two-way, playmaking young center a couple years ago with a bright future. Can't imagine the cost being that steep. They can have Kerfoot (cheaper) and a pick if they want!
I'd love to buy low on him. Not sure what they'd want for him though.

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Henchman quote:
"Barrie is 11th in defensemen scoring right now and 10th over the past two seasons... that is similar to replacing Rantanen who is 8th the past two seasons and 7th this year."

That is nice and I hope Sakic will use those words when he is negotiating trading Barrie.

Reactions: MarkT and CB Joe

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We aren’t in on any of these players, let’s be honest.

We aren’t rumoured to be in talks with any team, there’s only talk of Joe offering up Andrighetto to people and perhaps some minor interest in Nemeth.

Nothing to see here, move along people.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Rantanen isn't a pending UFA in a year with two very difficult negotiations in his past with the Avs.

I'm sure the Avs would like to keep Barrie under the right scenario, but they're not in the drivers seat this time in determining what that scenario is. Barrie/Newport hold all the leverage.

They'll most likely have to take less than UFA market value to stay knowing the Avs pricing, and that remains to be seen if they will.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From the last thread.

Good solutions are building from within, see what the kids have. The reason why you pass is UFA contracts are always overpriced, inefficient, and often past most of the players primes.

You don't sign an EK for 11mx7, you draft a kid like Makar hoping he can fill that role for fractions of the price and use that savings to build a much better team.

The NHL is about who can make the most cost efficient rosters and have them stick long enough to go on multiple runs. You don't do that though UFA, see Min

I agree for the most part, but sometimes you run into situations where you didn't draft/develop well enough to have enough high end prospects, and you don't want to give up high end assets yet because you're still building.

That's when you utilize UFA for secondary pieces, knowing that all good teams have some overpriced contracts. I think that's the situation the Avs are in now.

You just try to over pay for someone that can play well in the role you want, and you try not to have too many of those over priced contracts.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Henchman quote:
"Barrie is 11th in defensemen scoring right now and 10th over the past two seasons... that is similar to replacing Rantanen who is 8th the past two seasons and 7th this year."

That is nice and I hope Sakic will use those words when he is negotiating trading Barrie.

Why don't we talk about how horrendous he has been this year defensively?

Last I checked a dmans most important responsibility is actually being able to play defense.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
We aren’t in on any of these players, let’s be honest.

We aren’t rumoured to be in talks with any team, there’s only talk of Joe offering up Andrighetto to people and perhaps some minor interest in Nemeth.

Nothing to see here, move along people.
I for one refuse to believe that Joe Sakic isn't burning up the phone lines looking for a hockey trade.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I for one refuse to believe that Joe Sakic isn't burning up the phone lines looking for a hockey trade.

“Hockey trades” don’t really happen in the back-half of February.

There are buyers and sellers, with almost nobody looking for trade-ins.

Just my $0.02.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just cause it's Newport doesn't mean Barrie is ROR. We got a reasonable deal last time, his BFF plays on the team, and Roy is gone. There's no reason to assume Barrie will want out like ROR did just because it's Newport. If his demands end up being unreasonable this summer, then his contract status becomes a concern, but there's little reason to suspect it will be at this point.
Why don't we talk about how horrendous he has been this year defensively?

Last I checked a dmans most important responsibility is actually being able to play defense.

And that's where you f*** yourself up. You should check what a blueliner's primary responsibilities are in this century.

Reactions: MacBradley

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Just cause it's Newport doesn't mean Barrie is ROR. We got a reasonable deal last time, his BFF plays on the team, and Roy is gone. There's no reason to assume Barrie will want out like ROR did just because it's Newport. If his demands end up being unreasonable this summer, then his contract status becomes a concern, but there's little reason to suspect it will be at this point.
That was a big pile of horse s*** right there:laugh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That's true, and I don't think Barrie has the same view about the organization as ROR. The story has been pretty similar from a negotiating standpoint though.

The reason there's a decent chance it ends up the same is because Barrie and Newport really didn't want to cave the last two times, but were forced to. I think they may return the favor this time, and I'm not sure the Avs comply.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
“Hockey trades” don’t really happen in the back-half of February.

There are buyers and sellers, with almost nobody looking for trade-ins.

Just my $0.02.
I was joking. I'm not expecting anything other than Andrighetto for someone who was one waivers at some point this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's true, and I don't think Barrie has the same view about the organization as ROR. The story has been pretty similar from a negotiating standpoint though.

The reason there's a decent chance it ends up the same is because Barrie and Newport really didn't want to cave the last two times, but were forced to. I think they may return the favor this time, and I'm not sure the Avs comply.

That's on Sakic to discover this summer, but an agency does what its client wants. So if Barrie doesn't want to be unreasonable...like Roy's departure, his previous deal & Nate's presence would suggest...there's no reason for a sensible deal not to get struck this summer.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Since the 2013-14 Season Tyson Barrie is tied for 11th in D scoring. I don't know if I'd necessarily be shitting on his offensive abilities. I'm not saying that outweighs his defensive lapses because more recently during the past slump he has been having some serious offensive lapses and inconsistencies as well. I'm not thrilled with his decision making when he's QB ing the PP but damn...the guy still gets offensive results in terms of production.

Reactions: MacBradley

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If the goal is to build up the defense for years 3, 4 and 5 from now, why should I not be concerned with EJ’s play when he’s 34-36 years old?

Reactions: milehigh11

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the goal is to build up the defense for years 3, 4 and 5 from now, why should I not be concerned with EJ’s play when he’s 34-36 years old?

Because he might still be a good 2nd pairing D man, to partner with a mobile OFD like Girard or Makar, and there's no telling what level Zadorov or Timmins will get to in replacing the role he plays.

Also, EJ will only be 34 for most of his final season until late March.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Screenshot_2019-02-22-19-44-41.png

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have a real hard time believing the Avs were looking to OS Stone. That's just not how the Avs like to do business or how they like to overpay.

I think Bob's been slipping lately in his credibility and citing more weakly sourced rumors than he used to.

If an OS was involved at all, I think it would have been to form a basis for an asking price in trade during negotiations.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I believe it. I know for a fact that the Avs are going to go super hard after Stone if he makes it to FA. Like, they’ll do EVERYTHING they can to try and get him. Which is great to hear because he’s exactly the type of player we need to be targeting.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I believe it. I know for a fact that the Avs are going to go super hard after Stone if he makes it to FA. Like, they’ll do EVERYTHING they can to try and get him. Which is great to hear because he’s exactly the type of player we need to be targeting.

Agreed. Landy or Stone on a line with our young top 3 center in the draft to help them out is ideal..

Mack- Stone
Lando- Hughes
Soda- Rantanen

Then plug and play Jost, Compher, Nieto, Kerfoot or Calvert with those 3 combos

Reactions: MarkT and R2daV

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Agreed. Landy or Stone on a line with our young top 3 center in the draft to help them out is ideal..

Mack- Stone
Lando- Hughes
Soda- Rantanen

Then plug and play Jost, Compher, Nieto, Kerfoot or Calvert with those 3 combos
We’ve certainly got the cap space to make a major move this summer. I really hope they go big game fishing and nab Stone. He seems like the type of player who’s so competitive he’s almost destined to win a Cup someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->