Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXII|6 Days Until Minor AHL Transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agreed. I'd rather pay a million extra per year and get Hayes, he's a better player than Henrique and he's on an upward trajectory. And two years younger.

Same. Hayes is Soda but an actual 2C. Henrique is a good 3C though but at that contract I’ll pass.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hayes at $7M/yr? I don't know about that. I hope the Avs can get Hughes so they don't feel the need to go into desperation mode on July 1st.

Reactions: S E P H

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Duchene ending up on the Preds would make a lot of sense. That's where he has wanted to be since he was still playing for the Avs.

The problem is they'd now have a 3C earning 6M/year for the next 4 years.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hayes at $7M/yr? I don't know about that. I hope the Avs can get Hughes so they don't feel the need to go into desperation mode on July 1st.

Hayes at ~6 is more realistic. If he gets 7 I don’t touch that unless it’s a short term deal.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't want anything to do with Henrique with this contract.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think Hayes will get close to that $7 million mark over 6 years if he finishes strong. He's only 26, he's on pace for 70 points, he's a two-way force and he's versatile and he's gotten better ever year. It definitely sounds like an overpayment but that's the price you have to pay to play in free agency.

I don't think getting Jack Hughes should change our desire to sign an impact free agent forward who has some size and two-way ability. A Bednar blender second line of Hughes with some combo of Kerfoot, Jost, Ghetto, etc is still the same problem as now just with more talent.

Doesn't have to be Hayes but he ticks a lot of boxes.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The mandate for a top six forward should not change regardless of who the Avs draft. The team needs two top six forwards, not one. If they draft one top six forward they still need another. And in the hypothetical they get Hughes / Kakko, you don't just stick one of them out there with the rest of the crappy tweeners on the team and hope for the best. MacK spent his first season riding shotgun to Stastny and Landeskog. Hayes would be a very good get in FA.

In the interests of development and of trying to compete simultaneously the Avs should be trying to recreate a similar situation if they luck into one of the two top picks who can play in the NHL next season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Hayes will get close to that $7 million mark over 6 years if he finishes strong. He's only 26, he's on pace for 70 points, he's a two-way force and he's versatile and he's gotten better ever year. It definitely sounds like an overpayment but that's the price you have to pay to play in free agency.

I don't think getting Jack Hughes should change our desire to sign an impact free agent forward who has some size and two-way ability. A Bednar blender second line of Hughes with some combo of Kerfoot, Jost, Ghetto, etc is still the same problem as now just with more talent.

Doesn't have to be Hayes but he ticks a lot of boxes.

Hayes makes a lot of sense. Good 2 way guy, adds size and skill to our 2nd line and if we’re lucky enough to get Hughes/Kakko than he’ll be able to insulate them on a line instead doing what we did to Jost.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
The mandate for a top six forward should not change regardless of who the Avs draft. The team needs two top six forwards, not one. If they draft one top six forward they still need another. And in the hypothetical they get Hughes / Kakko, you don't just stick one of them out there with the rest of the crappy tweeners on the team and hope for the best. MacK spent his first season riding shotgun to Stastny and Landeskog. Hayes would be a very good get in FA.

Specifically a center.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Duchene to Preds trade has to be !st + Tolvanen but the 3rd piece is the confusing one. Fabbro?

Sens could be looking at a nice haul.

Let’s throw out a couple of possible deals:

Duchene for Tolvanen, NSH 1st, random contract

Stone for Appleton, Comrie, WPG 1st

Probably a couple of conditions for extra picks if they extend with their new teams.

Not bad, but of course nothing as good as their 1st now in our hands.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
I think if the Avs get Hughes it just changes the need for which players they should seek in free agency. If they get Hughes it lessens the need for a center and changes the focus to getting wingers. If they get Kakko then, yeah, get a legit 2nd line center. It's like the old saying goes, you draft the best player and don't think about positional needs and address the latter via trade or free agency.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Hayes makes a lot of sense. Good 2 way guy, adds size and skill to our 2nd line and if we’re lucky enough to get Hughes/Kakko than he’ll be able to insulate them on a line instead doing what we did to Jost.

I would love to get Hayes and Silfverberg for about $12m combined.

Hughes/Kakko - Hayes - Silf
Jost/Kerf - Soda - JTC
Nieto - Kam/Toni - Calvert

Hayes and Silf give (hopefully)Hughes size and strong two-way play to go with talent. Strong bottom 6 as well, even if I would love more meat and potatoes over Nieto/Calvert.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think if the Avs get Hughes it just changes the need for which players they should seek in free agency. If they get Hughes it lessens the need for a center and changes the focus to getting wingers. If they get Kakko then, yeah, get a legit 2nd line center. It's like the old saying goes, you draft the best player and don't think about positional needs and address the latter via trade or free agency.

I think Stone and Hayes should be our top 2 priorities in FA this year. Now Stone won’t come if we miss the playoffs imo but Hayes should be realistic. Even if we do get Hughes we can get Hayes. Hughes can play wing his rookie year like Mack did and when that time comes then Hayes can be the Soda replacement.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I would love to get Hayes and Silfverberg for about $12m combined.

Hughes/Kakko - Hayes - Silf
Jost/Kerf - Soda - JTC
Nieto - Kam/Toni - Calvert

Hayes and Silf give (hopefully)Hughes size and strong two-way play to go with talent. Strong bottom 6 as well, even if I would love more meat and potatoes over Nieto/Calvert.

I like the look of that team. Then if Hughes adapts well than you could swap him and Landy then imagine that shutdown 2nd line. Beautiful.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Agreed, but I still suggest that Avs should be a player in July 1st. Instead of targeting like the 6th best defender and 18th best forward, we need to get a top 5 forward in free agency.

Yeah I thought he was a UFA after this season. His upcoming contract isn’t great.
Yeah Henrique's contract isn't very good, but it is manageable. I think I would much prefer him at 5.8 million than Hayes at 7 million personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad