Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII|Team Snowflake vs. Team Snowball

Which team are you on!?!?!?!?!???!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Denver/Colorado is the **** from what I hear.

One of those places you don't think about until you're there type of thing.
I almost feel guilty living here for as long as I have because I feel like I can’t appreciate it as much as out-of-towners do.

I mean, I lived in Bakersfield for two years, so you’d think it’d be easy. It’s just that those two years were the first two years of my life.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
We should absolutely not trade any of our picks or good prospects for short term fixes. We are 4 points ahead of the 25th ranked team and dropping fast.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think we should start having friendly wagers on the next time Sakic actually makes an appearance. Will it be the trade deadline when he makes his AHLer for AHLer swap? Will it be a couple days before the deadline to tell fans to expect very little, followed up by doing very little?

Reactions: cgf
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think we should start having friendly wagers on the next time Sakic actually makes an appearance. Will it be the trade deadline when he makes his AHLer for AHLer swap? Will it be a couple days before the deadline to tell fans to expect very little, followed up by doing very little?

Are we sure Sakic hasn’t gone on vacation like the rest of the team?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Not defending Sakic, but what can he do now to turn around the season? Bring up Francouz? Fire Bednar? I doubt anyone will give us anything good for the pieces we would move.

He messed up not shoring up the 2nd line, but even with a better 2nd line you still can’t win giving up 4+ goals any given night. The biggest flaw of this team are the goalies, which honestly I didn’t see coming, same as many others here if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: TruePowerSlave

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not defending Sakic, but what can he do now to turn around the season? Bring up Francouz? Fire Bednar? I doubt anyone will give us anything good for the pieces we would move.

He messed up not shoring up the 2nd line, but even with a better 2nd line you still can’t win giving up 4+ goals any given night. The biggest flaw of this team are the goalies, which honestly I didn’t see coming, same as many others here if I’m not mistaken.

He could at least take a cue from other GMs around the league and try SOMETHING to shake things up. Even if it's a lateral move or just dumping a player they're clearly not bringing back to call up one of the kids in Loveland, he should recognize at this point that sitting back is not acceptable.

I also think they need to consider firing Parkkila. He was brought in for a specific purpose, and not only has Varly hit the skids, Grubauer has imploded as well. Why is he still around...???

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I agree with all of this. At this point we shouldn't be trading any of our 1st, OTT 1st, Makar, Timmins, Meloche, Kaut and Bowers. Maybe combination of Jost, Greer, and other assets I would be OK with depending on what is coming back. Wait to see where the two 1st end up being and then maybe look at trades/UFAs in the offseason.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He could at least take a cue from other GMs around the league and try SOMETHING to shake things up. Even if it's a lateral move or just dumping a player they're clearly not bringing back to call up one of the kids in Loveland, he should recognize at this point that sitting back is not acceptable.

I also think they need to consider firing Parkkila. He was brought in for a specific purpose, and not only has Varly hit the skids, Grubauer has imploded as well. Why is he still around...???
I was thinking the same about Parkkila earlier this week. This is not looking good on him as well as he is unable to get them back on track. I am also starting to wonder quite a bit about Pratt. Might be better to wait in the offseason but maybe it's time to try a new D coach.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree with that. I would bring up Francouz and fire Bednar, but sadly I’m not the one making decisions. As I said many a times, Varlamov never should’ve started the season with the Avs. And Bednar should be shown the door when season ends.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Maybe its time to lower the expectations for this team. We had an unsustainable hot start and because of that many were claiming that the Avs are among the best in the west and we should start buying before the deadline to make some noise in the playoffs.

Reality has set in and the Avs are just about where they should be. We are still rebuilding.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Well you have to assume he also didn't force Bednar to give Frank a shot, and hasn't made Bednar play Greer this season either. I do believe the prices to make moves early have been kind of dumb, so I get not bringing in meaningful guys. No one else in the league has pried anyone of note loose either, but there is something that could have been done. They may seem small, but even if Frank went on a rookie power run it would have kept this team from bleeding out and becoming completely devoid of confidence. It also would of slapped our two shit head starters in the face.

Obviously speaking in season because there is no defense for pretty much everyone here knowing that banking the season on Jost taking the #2C slot was stupid, and your GM not knowing that.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe its time to lower the expectations for this team. We had an unsustainable hot start and because of that many were claiming that the Avs are among the best in the west and we should start buying before the deadline to make some noise in the playoffs.

Reality has set in and the Avs are just about where they should be. We are still rebuilding.
A bubble team but you have to admit its been an epic fall from grace. Even I got hoodwinked in the beginning but as of now they are truly the bubble team I was expecting.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A bubble team but you have to admit its been an epic fall from grace. Even I got hoodwinked in the beginning but as of now they are truly the bubble team I was expecting.

It would be nice if the guys we were paying 9M didn't contribute so damn much to that though. I don't think they're as bad as their record, but we've given up so many points in some of their best games it is just sad. I think we'd be a solid 3rd or even vying for 2nd if our goal-tending had held to at least league average.

At this point they watched the leak turn into a f***in gaping hole. Part of me thinks Sakic is ok with letting the gas run out in favor of adding more high end futures. Hes actually done quite a bit, and been a lot more ruthless than his playing style and reputation as a person would lead you to expect.

Hes been hard on contracts, patient to a maddening level with trades, and completely willing to throw away entire seasons (based on inside source rumors). I kind of wonder if Sakic's early days tanking makes him completely unsympathetic to these young players losing in the early parts of their careers.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The thing is, we aren’t a bubble team. We went from top 5 team in the league to worst in the league overnight. Those first 20 games make the point total look much better than we are currently playing.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The thing is, we aren’t a bubble team. We went from top 5 team in the league to worst in the league overnight. Those first 20 games make the point total look much better than we are currently playing.
I dont think we are as good as the start would suggest. I dont think we are as bad as we are right now. We are somewhere in the middle. Right on the bubble.

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
For me, i totally get and understand this team is still in rebuild mode, our success last year and early this year put high expectations on this team, but we will likely have three 70 + point players (Landy, Mack, Rants) and specifically Rants and Mack likely finishes will 90+ points this season, but when was the last time a team has three 70+ point scorers and missed the playoffs? If we do miss, it will almost feel like a wasted year.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
For me, i totally get and understand this team is still in rebuild mode, our success last year and early this year put high expectations on this team, but we will likely have three 70 + point players (Landy, Mack, Rants) and specifically Rants and Mack likely finishes will 90+ points this season, but when was the last time a team has three 70+ point scorers and missed the playoffs? If we do miss, it will almost feel like a wasted year.
I don't think squeaking into the playoffs and getting spanked by Nashville or Winnipeg would make the season that much better tbh.

The real waste was Sakic doing nothing to address the 2nd line in the summer.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Like I have told many women in my life...I think you should prepare to be dissapointed. Having said that there are still 32 games left and there is still time to turn this around. Stranger things have happened but something needs to happen fast.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think the Avs will have to look at finding a new starting goaltender and rebuilding the defense. A 2nd line center isn't as much of a priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad