Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII|Team Snowflake vs. Team Snowball

Which team are you on!?!?!?!?!???!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd be surprised if Kaut isn't with the Avs next season, nothing wrong with having him on the 3rd line with occasional PP time if he deserves it.

Also

No Rangers scouts :scared:

Didn't know Michel Goulet was scouting for the Ducks.

Also, why does Jean Martineau still look the same as he was in 1994?

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
They’re sick of watching Barbario silking tape to tape passes to the slot (to the opposition) and Mackinnon screaming at his coach. They want nothing to do with us anymore.

The Rangers scouts:

N8TK01V.png

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
He might get overpaid on his next deal but I disagree about his inflated SH%. If you look at his stats since the AHL his lowest SH% has been 10.9%. Probably averages around 14%. He is pretty steady in that category. Since the beginning of last season he has had a .62 PPG and .53 PPG since starting full seasons in the NHL. This is his 3rd full season. Every year he has been increasing his PPG stat. Very steady player. Now I have to admit that I haven't seen him play too often even though I am following the Sens record this season. So I don't know if he would be a good fit style wise (defensively, effort, forecheck, character, etc.). However he would certainly fit as secondary scoring is concerned. We need somebody to put the puck in the net on the 2nd line. He would help with that. A Dzingel - Soda - Compher line looks really good to me. I wouldn't give our first for him though but Jost + would be in play from me.

The past 2 years he's shot at close to 18%. Its possible that he is one of the best goal scorers of all time, but its far more likely he'll regress like every player in his position before him has.

SH% and PDO were literally created so GMs wouldn't get fooled by that type of player.

Now I agree with you that I think he would be a good and versatile 3rd line player, but he is likely going to be paid like a 2nd line guy which is the issue. Avs have no reason to overpay for guys right now.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I still think Varlamov for Bobrovsky makes some sense.

Just for context, Bob this season has still been worse than Varly up to this point, and that's including Varly's recent stretch from hell.

Bob is also one of the worst playoff goalies in the league and will SURELY be asking for one of the worst contracts in UFA. Which the Avs should avoid at all costs, he's and extreme high risk asset

I really don't see what the upside is for trading for him.

At least with Varly there is a chance the Avs decide to resign him for a cheap 2 year deal if he bounces back, but even if he leaves it doesn't change much.

IF you are going to move Varly at least get something useful in return and if you want to make damage in the playoffs I'd STILL go with Varly even after this nightmare stretch of a small sample size.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Martin Kaut isn't even at a 0.5 PPG in the AHL right now. We'll obviously see how he does for the rest of the season, but I'd much rather he be back in the AHL next year. I'd rather try to develop him into a long-term quality top six winger than just a good third liner.

If you've been watching him play he is ready for the NHL now, he'll make the Avs team next year. Another year of the AHL wont do him much good and the Avs should add a forward or 2 next year to help insulate him as well. also the AHL is naturally a low scoring league. Kaut is staying down there for the year to keep from having to expose him for the ED. A big part of the reason he was drafted is because his game was already close to the NHL level.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I was joking. Stone won’t sign here. But we could get two high picks. The only guy of the higher profile UFAs I could see signing here is the guy I’m not a fan of.

I disagree, the Avs now and the next few years will be a top UFA destination. Few teams have a young competitive core and the Cap space that the Avs do. Now Stone might decide to stay in Ott but should he hit UFA he will have few better choices than the Avs.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Me too... the Avs don't like to let prospects marinate and I think it is a problem of theirs. If a prospect can't grab a spot quickly, the org tends to sour quickly.

I think a part of that is because their AHL development historically has been awful. The second they can get them around Bednar and the NHL coaches they probably feel is the best to give them what they need even if the NHL level of play is too much for them.

I give Sakic all the credit in the world but revamping our Dev system is still one of the teams biggest needs. Although they did just sign a skills coach this year that has been paying off in spades.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The past 2 years he's shot at close to 18%. Its possible that he is one of the best goal scorers of all time, but its far more likely he'll regress like every player in his position before him has.

SH% and PDO were literally created so GMs wouldn't get fooled by that type of player.

Now I agree with you that I think he would be a good and versatile 3rd line player, but he is likely going to be paid like a 2nd line guy which is the issue. Avs have no reason to overpay for guys right now.
I agree he will get overpaid even if he doesn't hit UFA. I also agree his SH% will regress but my point was that he tends to always have a fairly high SH% so yes he will regress in that category but maybe not as much as you think he will.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just for context, Bob this season has still been worse than Varly up to this point, and that's including Varly's recent stretch from hell.

Bob is also one of the worst playoff goalies in the league and will SURELY be asking for one of the worst contracts in UFA. Which the Avs should avoid at all costs, he's and extreme high risk asset

I really don't see what the upside is for trading for him.

At least with Varly there is a chance the Avs decide to resign him for a cheap 2 year deal if he bounces back, but even if he leaves it doesn't change much.

IF you are going to move Varly at least get something useful in return and if you want to make damage in the playoffs I'd STILL go with Varly even after this nightmare stretch of a small sample size.

The point of a Varly-Bob trade would purely be a short term one. The Avs aren’t(or shouldn’t) re sign Varly and Bob is going to the Panthers next year 100% I’d say. Basically the Avs get a short term upgrade for a guy they aren’t going to re sign. And the Jax get a goalie who they can probably re sign and should be a solid replacement.

Reactions: hooverdam

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's always flattering when short tenured players stick around here. Pierre Turgeon might still be here.

He was a couple years ago. I think he still lives in Cherry Hills. His youngest daughter played on the same soccer team as my sister. Pierre is also like the nicest guy ever.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Denver/Colorado is the **** from what I hear.

One of those places you don't think about until you're there type of thing.
I moved here straight from NYC and absolutely love it. The quality of life in this city is just extraordinary compared to other big cities I've lived in.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Avs:
Lundqvist (Rangers retain 1.5 million)
Hayes

Rangers:
Varlamov
Andrighetto
Conditional 1st Round Pick (Colorado's choice of 2019 or 2020)
2nd Round Pick 2019
Conditional 3rd Round Pick 2021 (if Avs re-sign Hayes)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I disagree, the Avs now and the next few years will be a top UFA destination. Few teams have a young competitive core and the Cap space that the Avs do. Now Stone might decide to stay in Ott but should he hit UFA he will have few better choices than the Avs.

That’s worked well for us since Selanne & Kariya...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad