Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVIII|Team Snowflake vs. Team Snowball

Which team are you on!?!?!?!?!???!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
With how we’re doing the 2nd line will be Kakko-Hughes-Stone.

If you get 2 top 5 picks you likely don't get any UFAs this year. Both KK and Hughes could get 7-11m AAV after their ELC is up and in that very lucky case you'd need to make sure that cap was free haha.

As much fun as doom and gloom is without winning the lottery the Avs roster is too skilled for me to see their pick being higher than 14th

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I mean in both cases you could sign Hayes as well, I just feel like if you get KK there is no chance you sign Stone already having Kaut. If you draft a C instead they could stay on the wing on the 2nd line for 2 years to develop and then shift Hayes down to 3c while the kid takes over 2c and you don't accidentally over saturate a wing position with inefficient UFA deals.

I was mostly curious as given the current roster dynamic not many fans are hoping to draft a wing over a C already having Mikko and Kaut in the org.

Kaut hasn't shown enough to indicate that he would step into a Top-6 role in the NHL right away. While I definitely think we need a C, I'll take that in any form. I don't think we need a 1B type center, what we need is a competent 2nd line. I'll take that in any form I can get it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Kaut hasn't shown enough to indicate that he would step into a Top-6 role in the NHL right away. While I definitely think we need a C, I'll take that in any form. I don't think we need a 1B type center, what we need is a competent 2nd line. I'll take that in any form I can get it.

I mean in the short term we just need a competent 2c but if you want to win a Cup there is pretty strong evidence you need a 1b, or at least you REALLY should have one. Although signing Stone could be an alternative.

While I agree we will have to see what Kaut will become, he certainly has the ability to be a 2nd line winger and Drafting a winger AND signing Stone pretty much says he'll never have that opportunity which seems a little premature. If you have that guy already it doesn't seem prudent to use assets on another, especially with issues else where.

I appreciate the conversation on it though.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Martin Kaut isn't even at a 0.5 PPG in the AHL right now. We'll obviously see how he does for the rest of the season, but I'd much rather he be back in the AHL next year. I'd rather try to develop him into a long-term quality top six winger than just a good third liner.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If you get 2 top 5 picks you likely don't get any UFAs this year. Both KK and Hughes could get 7-11m AAV after their ELC is up and in that very lucky case you'd need to make sure that cap was free haha.

As much fun as doom and gloom is without winning the lottery the Avs roster is too skilled for me to see their pick being higher than 14th
I was joking. Stone won’t sign here. But we could get two high picks. The only guy of the higher profile UFAs I could see signing here is the guy I’m not a fan of.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Martin Kaut isn't even at a 0.5 PPG in the AHL right now. We'll obviously see how he does for the rest of the season, but I'd much rather he be back in the AHL next year. I'd rather try to develop him into a long-term quality top six winger than just a good third liner.

As a +1 kid Kaut isn't far off where he should be (I'd like him to end up around .6). The +1s that do great in the AHL right off the bat are the Rantanen and Pasta's of the world.

Reactions: Meeqs

Avs44

May 16, 2011
As a +1 kid Kaut isn't far off where he should be (I'd like him to end up around .6). The +1s that do great in the AHL right off the bat are the Rantanen and Pasta's of the world.

Oh, I don't think he's doing badly; I just think he should spend his +2 year in the AHL as well rather than bringing him straight into the NHL as if he did have a Mikko Rantanen calibre +1 year -- which I fear is precisely what Sakic will do.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
He's a depth guy with a MASSIVELY inflated SH% this year. He will get a lot in return but wont be worth it. I'd say he'd be worth a 3rd as a rental and should get 3.5x3 in UFA. In actuality he'll get double that.
He might get overpaid on his next deal but I disagree about his inflated SH%. If you look at his stats since the AHL his lowest SH% has been 10.9%. Probably averages around 14%. He is pretty steady in that category. Since the beginning of last season he has had a .62 PPG and .53 PPG since starting full seasons in the NHL. This is his 3rd full season. Every year he has been increasing his PPG stat. Very steady player. Now I have to admit that I haven't seen him play too often even though I am following the Sens record this season. So I don't know if he would be a good fit style wise (defensively, effort, forecheck, character, etc.). However he would certainly fit as secondary scoring is concerned. We need somebody to put the puck in the net on the 2nd line. He would help with that. A Dzingel - Soda - Compher line looks really good to me. I wouldn't give our first for him though but Jost + would be in play from me.

Last edited:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Kaut also upped his production lately. We will see how he looks at TC next offseason, but if there0s even an inkling of a feeling he might not be 100% ready he should get plenty of time in the A.

Reactions: Meeqs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh, I don't think he's doing badly; I just think he should spend his +2 year in the AHL as well rather than bringing him straight into the NHL as if he did have a Mikko Rantanen calibre +1 year -- which I fear is precisely what Sakic will do.
Me too... the Avs don't like to let prospects marinate and I think it is a problem of theirs. If a prospect can't grab a spot quickly, the org tends to sour quickly.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
With his two-way game Kaut should be ready to play 3rd line at the very least. Kaut is not the type of player that needs to work a lot on his offence. He is more the type to win board battles and find open spots in the shooting areas. More time in the AHL could certainly help him but not as much as for other kids IMO. He strikes me like the type to get around .6 PPG that he is in the AHL or the NHL.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Avs44

May 16, 2011
He might get overpaid on his next deal but I disagree about his inflated SH%. If you look at his stats since the AHL his lowest SH% has been 10.9%. Probably averages around 14%. He is pretty steady in that category. Since the beginning of last season he has had a .62 PPG and .53 PPG since starting full seasons in the NHL. This is his 3rd full season. Every year he has been increasing his PPG stat. Very steady player. Now I have to admit that I haven't seen him play too often even though I am following the Sens record this season. So I don't know if he would be a good fit style wise (defensively, effort, forecheck, character, etc.). However he would certainly fit as secondary scoring is concerned. We need somebody to put the puck in the net on the 2nd line. He would help with that. A Dzingel - Soda - Compher line looks really good to me. I would give our first for him though but Jost + would be in play from me.

I wouldn't move the 1st for him. Dzingel to me is someone who needs to be on a purely scoring line. He's a speedy, north-south goal scorer. His most common linemate and the one he has gelled with is....Duchene. The two of them are pretty much let loose to just focus on offense based around high tempo speed and skill. I don't think he'd fit well with Soderberg and the role Soderberg is expected to fill. I also wouldn't want to re-sign someone having a career year on a club that's kind of playing pond hockey defensively.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I wouldn't move the 1st for him. Dzingel to me is someone who needs to be on a purely scoring line. He's a speedy, north-south goal scorer. His most common linemate and the one he has gelled with is....Duchene. The two of them are pretty much let loose to just focus on offense based around high tempo speed and skill. I don't think he'd fit well with Soderberg and the role Soderberg is expected to fill. I also wouldn't want to re-sign someone having a career year on a club that's kind of playing pond hockey defensively.
Oh crap that was supposed to say "wouldn't move our 1st". Haha

I'm not too worry about a career year when his numbers have been going up steadily. As far as the role is concerned I'll take your word for it as I don't know him very well as a player. However he has been very steady throughout his career since NCAA so looks like he can find chemistry with most players.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd be surprised if Kaut isn't with the Avs next season, nothing wrong with having him on the 3rd line with occasional PP time if he deserves it.

Also

No Rangers scouts :scared:

Reactions: Avs425

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd be surprised if Kaut isn't with the Avs next season, nothing wrong with having him on the 3rd line with occasional PP time if he deserves it.

Also

No Rangers scouts :scared:

They’re sick of watching Barbario silking tape to tape passes to the slot (to the opposition) and Mackinnon screaming at his coach. They want nothing to do with us anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad