Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Would people do a Puljujarvi for Jost deal?

200.gif

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I guess, you didn't watch the game yesterday then.
Varly wasn't the reason we lost yesterday but he still finished with a SP .867. And this was one of his better games in the past 2 month. Anders f***ing Nilsson on the other hand had a .938.

You can blame Bednar all you want but goaltending and (for me at least) Special Teams are the main reasons we are losing most of the time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He either has to vastly improve on almost every part of his game which includes changing his body. Or he’s going to have to change the way he plays.

Jost plays that Duchene style where he works the boards down low and shifting and and trying to power his way past people. Only problem is that he’s not quick or strong enough to ever pull it off. It’s an absolute joke when he’s matched up against a man on the boards. It’s a battle he can’t win.

Oh I understand what you're getting at... I just don't see a clear way out of it, even by trading him. I've long been on the train about his skating and it just isn't good enough. I don't think he can bulk up enough while keeping enough skating to be effective... so quicken up as much as possible (and it may not still be enough) to see if that helps him out. This should be a huge warning on these types of players though... the scouts should use the Jost issues to learn.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Varly wasn't the reason we lost yesterday but he still finished with a SP .867. And this was one of his better games in the past 2 month. Anders ****ing Nilsson on the other hand had a .938.

You can blame Bednar all you want but goaltending and (for me at least) Special Teams are the main reasons we are losing most of the time.
Didn't you tell me how good Grubauer is a good week or two ago? The goaltending is a problem, especially because Varly can't stay healthy, and I fear it'll be an even bigger problem without Varly next year, but as long as we're making it so easy for the opponents to score only absolute all star goalies would make a difference.
Also, when I say Bednar I mean him and his staff. He's the head coach, though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It's funny in hindsight. People thought Edmonton got a steal, and now Columbus look brilliant.

Seemingly, more often than not, the off the board picks like that in the top 10 tend to work out. The all-time classing example is Wheeler... wasn't even a first round guy when Arizona selected him. Turns out he was the 3rd best player in the draft.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mittelstadt doesn't have the skating issues Jost does... They might be nearly the same age, but the path and rushing is similar just a year delayed. If fatty is struggling like this next season at this point, it would be similar.
Absolutely. I’d probably do a Jost for Mittelstadt trade simply because Mittelstadt does have some form of NHL skill (skating) but I don’t think one is any more valuable than the other from a trade standpoint.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'd be looking to move Jost as part of a larger package, i.e. Jost as the B level piece in a deal involving a 1st rounder for something the Avs actually need. He might have value there to a club as a prospect they might see something in still, but if he doesn't turn out then they still have the main piece (e.g. a 1st) as compensation.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Seemingly, more often than not, the off the board picks like that in the top 10 tend to work out. The all-time classing example is Wheeler... wasn't even a first round guy when Arizona selected him. Turns out he was the 3rd best player in the draft.
True. Scheifele being another. But then you have Thomas Hickey types too so.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Absolutely. I’d probably do a Jost for Mittelstadt trade simply because Mittelstadt does have some form of NHL skill (skating) but I don’t think one is any more valuable than the other from a trade standpoint.

That I don't agree with... rookies are given a lot of leeway, especially ones that plowed through the ranks like Mittelstadt. Two years ago he was playing high school hockey in Minnesota... Buffalo should have let him stay 2 years in college, just like the Avs should have with Jost. Mittelstadt's value is as a top 10 pick that is struggling in his rookie season. Jost is a top 10 pick that is on the verge of being cast aside and shows fundamental flaws. A team believing in their amateur scouts would still value fatty high... a team with worthwhile scouts know that Jost might be playing his way out of Colorado.

For all of those people who just want to give youth roles and think they can handle it, Jost should be a cautionary tale. Give players roles as they can take them on, don't force them and especially don't force them without support.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
How about off the board in the top 11?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think they have no choice at this point but to keep him and hope he at least starts showing some sparks to raise his trade value. But I'm pretty much done at this point--I think it's only a matter of time before he's moved, and the return won't be much good at all.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Okay Y'all this past month has been pretty rough so for all who are interested I wanted to hear your thoughts on a long term goaltending solution.

The Avs as is have about 3 years to find a real long term solution in goal. Its likely one of their biggest needs. While the best outcome would be to get lucky with one we draft, should this not happen who are some of the young goaltending prospects you guys are high on? Do you think any of them would be obtainable? Only parameter is only goalies who are 26 and less.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Can we just move on from Varly already? Enough.

There's literally 0 reason to give him starts at this point. He's not winning, we won't keep him at the end of the year, his trade value is low and we don't have to keep him happy. No more start for him.

Go with Grubs and Francouz and if it's not working then find a solution at the deadline if the season is still salvageable. Give 'em all the chances to succeed first though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad