Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I don't think replacing Varly or Grubauer will have much of a result for the rest of the season. Yes there have been a few soft goals but a lot of the goals that have been scored are cross ice passes and shots from point blank by forwards who have far too much time and space in front of our net. Right now team defense is fundamentally flawed and swaping a player here or there isnt going to make a dramatic change.

Every top team in the league that goes deep in the playoffs plays the way we've been playing lately, outside of a few games here or there. Simply league average goaltending would make a massive difference right now and probably give us like 10 additional points in the standings.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
An idiom can be used as a nickname, but nicknames are not in & of themselves idioms.

...at least if google translate & my german-english dictionary aren't lying to me :laugh:

id·i·om
/ˈidēəm/
noun
noun: idiom; plural noun: idioms
a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs, see the light ).

I see a nickname as a group of words (or a word, or words mashed together) that probably don't have a specific meaning that is apparent to someone coming in with zero context.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
id·i·om
/ˈidēəm/
noun
noun: idiom; plural noun: idioms
a group of words established by usage as having a meaning not deducible from those of the individual words (e.g., rain cats and dogs, see the light ).

I see a nickname as a group of words (or a word, or words mashed together) that probably don't have a specific meaning that is apparent to someone coming in with zero context.

Some nicknames are deducible from the individual words though. Kondor or Peacock would qualify under this definition, but French Nic & Russian Nik don't, no?

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I'm very close to agreeing here but he needs to find a way. I want to see this team win a third cup some day but this won't happen with inexperienced coaches.
Pittsburg just recently won 2 cups with an AHL coach. Sure they had Crosby/Malkin/etc. but still. What i'm saying is a coach can only bring you thus far. At some point it's up to the players to take over.

It doesn't matter at all if our coach is Bednar or Q - with the current roster we won't win anything. And it's up to Sakic to change that.

Reactions: cgf and Iceberg

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Pittsburg just recently won 2 cups with an AHL coach. Sure they had Crosby/Malkin/etc. but still. What i'm saying is a coach can only bring you thus far. At some point it's up to the players to take over.

It doesn't matter at all if our coach is Bednar or Q - with the current roster we won't win anything. And it's up to Sakic to change that.
The Pittsburgh thing is a good point. On the other hand the Avs have not been brought far enough for the players to just take over. Sacco and Roy were the coaches before Bednar. And I'm not saying all the Avs need is a better coach... but boy do they need a better coach.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Should Joe Sakic be more like Bob Murray?

I wish he'd do something at this point. The losing/crappy streak is at a month and a half and it doesn't seem like there is an end to it in sight. Unless his plan is to draft two of Hughes/Kakko/Turcotte/Cozens/Dach/Byram doing nothing isn't proving to be successful at this time.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The Pittsburgh thing is a good point. On the other hand the Avs have not been brought far enough for the players to just take over. Sacco and Roy were the coaches before Bednar. And I'm not saying all the Avs need is a better coach... but boy do they need a better coach.
Maybe, maybe not. It's easy to blame the coaching stuff. But honestly our players make so many damn rookie mistakes night in and night out that it's hard to believe that a different coach could change that. And i'm pretty sure that Bednar didn't told our goalies that a SP under .850 is juuuuust fiiiine.

Coaching might be "AN" issue (not sure about that but not impossible either), but it's not "THE" issue.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Maybe, maybe not. It's easy to blame the coaching stuff. But honestly our players make so many damn rookie mistakes night in and night out that it's hard to believe that a different coach could change that. And i'm pretty sure that Bednar didn't told our goalies that a SP under .850 is juuuuust fiiiine.

Coaching might be "AN" issue (not sure about that but not impossible either), but it's not "THE" issue.
They didn't make so many rookie mistakes earlier, though. This team won and did it convincingly. The players have not all just started to suck. And even if it wasn't Bednar's fault, right now it's pretty obviously the biggest issue. It wasn't Varly who lost us the game last night. It wasn't the superior quality of the Sens' roster who won them the game last night. I knew the Avs would lose when I watched the first 30 seconds of our first powerplay because I saw that once again no adjustments had been made.
You can have the best workers in a factory, you still won't have success if you effed up process management. You can have some lazy and stupid workers and still have moderate success if the foremen know their stuff. Our foreman doesn't know his stuff.

Reactions: Bender

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I really want to trade Tyson Jost. Whether it’s for a draft pick or as a currency add on to a quantity for quality trade. Don’t care how, but I’d love to trade him while he still holds a little hope for other GM’s based on his draft position or pre-nhl play.

He just needs to improve so much in so many different areas to ever come close to being an effective NHL’er. I’ve seen cases of people improving on one or two things. But it’s a lot to expect a soon to be 21 year old to get much faster, much quicker, much stronger and also learn to make better decisions. Especially this day in age where kids are accomplishing these things at a much earlier age.

He was a bad pick who I don’t believe is an NHL player still to this day. I think he can and will become one but not a great one. I’d gladly take what I can get before people start seeing the same things that the people watching him 82 games a year see

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'd like to take a gamble on Nichushkin, speed and size, at least it would be better than average speed and no size for the bottom-6

Avs already have enough bottom 6 players who can't score. I think he's at the point where its pretty clear he is a bust and the Avs are past the point where they should be looking for reclamation guys. 0 reason why we should give him a chance over Greer who could actually become something.

He's essentially Lazar but with a bigger flight risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad