Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Can we just move on from Varly already? Enough.

There's literally 0 reason to give him starts at this point. He's not winning, we won't keep him at the end of the year, his trade value is low and we don't have to keep him happy. No more start for him.

Go with Grubs and Francouz and if it's not working then find a solution at the deadline if the season is still salvageable. Give 'em all the chances to succeed first though.

Either that or just re-sign him already to a 5 or 6 years deal like many here wanted to give him two months ago.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Either that or just re-sign him already to a 5 or 6 years deal like many here wanted to give him two months ago.

Do I need to repost that gif? :laugh:

Varly isn’t the answer... we already know that. Whether others are or what needs to be done is up for debate, but Varly really isn’t it.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Varly isn’t the answer... we already know that. Whether others are or what needs to be done is up for debate, but Varly really isn’t it.
We'll never know unless we get rid of the current roadblock who's preventing us to have a clear idea of what we have going forward.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

I know he is not, i wanted him gone after the 15-16 season (I wanted to blow that team up by trading Varly, Duchene and Barrie). It was more a shot at those that wanted him re-signed back in november.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’s time to trade Varly. See what we truly have in Grubs and Frank. We know Varly isn’t the answer now it’s time to see if these guys are the answer.

An issue there is who is going to trade for Varly? Are they going to pay anything of significance? What if they trade Varly and Grubs gets hurt? Then you're rolling a Frank/Spence tandem... There are issues with trading Varly all around. If I was GM I'd send a clear message to Varly and Grubs, call up Frank and let him start a couple games in a row. Even if he falters it sends a message.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
An issue there is who is going to trade for Varly? Are they going to pay anything of significance? What if they trade Varly and Grubs gets hurt? Then you're rolling a Frank/Spence tandem... There are issues with trading Varly all around. If I was GM I'd send a clear message to Varly and Grubs, call up Frank and let him start a couple games in a row. Even if he falters it sends a message.

Hey, whatever it takes to get Francouz some starts. Not just one or two. Enough, over several weeks, to get a decent evaluation.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Don't like the Nino trade for Minny, which therefore means I like it for us. Perhaps it shakes up their locker-room however, who knows.

Reactions: cgf and MacBradley

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I guess that’s fair.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Copying this from my discussion with meeqs on teh trade board since I didn't realize that top 10 goalies have won so many more cups in recent years than top 10 blueliners:

"Tim Thomas was an absolute monster when Boston won its cup over a team backstopped by another top tier goalie (Loungo). Holtby & Fleury are top tier guys as well, even if they rank in the latter half of the top 5/10. Crawford was absolutely one of the best goalies in the NHL when he won his cups with the Hawks, even if he was never in contention to be crowned THE best...and his herculean efforts behind a mediocre (at best) blueline core kept them relevant well beyond their sell-by date. And both Quick & Murray were amazing in the playoffs, despite not having Vezina-finalist level regular seasons.

So even though Hank & Price don't have cups to their names, the teams who have won cups have all had excellent to elite goaltending...with the 2010 hawks serving as the lone exception that springs to mind.

Looking back at it, having a top 10 or elite-playoff goalie seems to be even more important than having an elite #1 blueliner...as the list of cup winning top 10 (or near top 10) blueliners begins & ends with Doughty, Keith, Chara & (some years) Letang; with multiple exceptions."

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's not like Nino has been that good this year, he hasn't been. It's not shocking he's been traded. It's just that I feel like he has higher upside than Rask. Rask, at his best, is sort of a meh #2 centre (based on what he's shown thus far). Nino, at his best, is a clear top six goal scoring winger.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally I like Rask more as a player than Nino, but Nino just sort of fits the mold of a "Minnesota Wild" player and he usually hurts us, so I'm happy with this trade.

On the topic of Jost... I've been seeing Curtis Lazar since the very start of this season and that's never going to go away. Seems like a great kid but he's not an NHL player.

I'm in the minority on this one but I would trade Jost to Edmonton for Puljujarvi. Not only do I think having Puljujarvi around Mikko would be extremely beneficial for him (remember, the Oilers didn't actually invest in an English teacher for Puljujarvi until 1.5 years AFTER he was drafted), but the dude is a monster on the forecheck. I don't think he has the offensive potential of a player selected 4th overall, but I absolutely believe he can be an extremely effective middle-6 forward in time.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d love to do something around Jost + for Nino right now. I don’t exactly “love” Nino, but I know he’d be playing extra motivated to stick it to the Mild. Carolina would probably like the young centre too and they may not know that he sucks.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Nino is a top 6er who was playing 3rd and 4th line minutes in Minny. Not just for a few games, he pretty much played limited minutes all year, I'm not sure what happened to him over there.

He's definitely the better player of the two. He's a big guy with upside and I'd have liked him on our 2nd line. :(

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Personally I like Rask more as a player than Nino, but Nino just sort of fits the mold of a "Minnesota Wild" player and he usually hurts us, so I'm happy with this trade.

On the topic of Jost... I've been seeing Curtis Lazar since the very start of this season and that's never going to go away. Seems like a great kid but he's not an NHL player.

I'm in the minority on this one but I would trade Jost to Edmonton for Puljujarvi. Not only do I think having Puljujarvi around Mikko would be extremely beneficial for him (remember, the Oilers didn't actually invest in an English teacher for Puljujarvi until 1.5 years AFTER he was drafted), but the dude is a monster on the forecheck. I don't think he has the offensive potential of a player selected 4th overall, but I absolutely believe he can be an extremely effective middle-6 forward in time.

We could use size in our bottom 9 that’s for sure. Could be worth it but idk. I’d rather use Jost as part of a bigger trade.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The first thing I’d do if I got Puljujarvi - any team - is send him to a skills coach. You aren’t teaching him more aggression, or a better awareness of the play and finding open spaces, or even better hands. But he does, every now and then, just due to being a big body with relatively decent speed, find a scoring opportunity. But his finish is terrible. Work on his shot (accuracy) and release, and you might salvage something.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Puljujarvi at least has some tools (like size and speed) that Jost don't possess. I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad