Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully a trade will occur by the end of this thread! McKenna just got claimed by Philly, so that is not ideal for Vancouver.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
At some point Sakic needs to get aggressive with fixing the issues the team has. Drafting and developing is important and all but that cant be the only plan. We see what happens when you stay with the draft and develop plan, by the time someone develops into impactful player, others regress, or other holes open up and then you need to fix those.

This team is showing signs of being close to a solid playoff team, and there are assets and cap room to get aggressive with trades or FA signings. Need to start doing that.

Edit: I mean Sakic did make trades like the Duchene trade, but that's not enough. The team still has major holes and need to fix those

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
At some point Sakic needs to get aggressive with fixing the issues the team has. Drafting and developing is important and all but that cant be the only plan. We see what happens when you stay with the draft and develop plan, by the time someone develops into impactful player, others regress, or other holes open up and then you need to fix those.

This team showed signs of being close to a solid playoff team, and there are assets and cap room to get aggressive with trades or FA signings. Need to start doing that.

Edit: I mean Sakic did make trades like the Duchene trade, but that's not enough. The team still has major holes and need to fix those

fixed that for ya, happy to help

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well, if the team had forward depth, they'd still be showing signs of a solid playoff team instead of having the top line run out of gas, and now on a verge of missing the playoffs

Yes, but our GM is Joe Sakic.. We won't see a trade for two years, but when we do it will be huge!

Reactions: cgf and the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yes, but our GM is Joe Sakic.. We won't see a trade for two years, but when we do it will be huge!
And hopefully then, the team wont be lacking in other areas again after the trade, because at this rate, we're looking at eternity of fixing the Colorado Avalanche

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
And hopefully then, the team wont be lacking in other areas again after the trade, because at this rate, we're looking at eternity of fixing the Colorado Avalanche

I will say I agree that GMs shouldn't wait to the TDL to make moves, but at the same time all you hear is about how difficult it is prior. Which is believable considering how rare meaningful trades our before like a week out.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The one thing Sakic has really sucked at is the bargain bin UFA signings. 3.9 million for Calvert when you could get Ennis and Riley Nash while saving 950k.

Reactions: milehigh11

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I will say I agree that GMs shouldn't wait to the TDL to make moves, but at the same time all you hear is about how difficult it is prior. Which is believable considering how rare meaningful trades our before like a week out.
It's ok to waith to the TDL, but can the Avs afford to? If a trade is intended to stop this losing streak, to not fall too far back from a playoff spot, because its very hard to play catch up, then the Avs can't really afford to wait to TDL because there is still over a month to go, and lots of game between now and then, potentially a trade then can be worthless, specially if it's a rental.

It's a very difficult situation for Sakic, really tough decisions to make

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's ok to waith to the TDL, but can the Avs afford to? If a trade is intended to stop this losing streak, to not fall too far back from a playoff spot, because its very hard to play catch up, then the Avs can't really afford to wait to TDL because there is still over a month to go, and lots of game between now and then, potentially a trade then can be worthless, specially if it's a rental.

It's a very difficult situation for Sakic, really tough decisions to make

Meh, I don't really think the decisions are that tough. Maybe getting the right trade is, but nah, it shouldn't be a hard decision.

Reactions: cgf

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, I don't really think the decisions are that tough. Maybe getting the right trade is, but nah, it shouldn't be a hard decision.
So let's say he waits until TDL and the team is 10 or 15 points behind a playoff spot, does he make a trade then? Most of the TDL trades end up being rentals, If that's the case, he shouldn't make any trades at all, maybe just a minor trade or two but nothing big.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So let's say he waits until TDL and the team is 10 or 15 points behind a playoff spot, does he make a trade then? Most of the TDL trades end up being rentals, If that's the case, he shouldn't make any trades at all, maybe just a minor trade or two but nothing big.

I don't care how many points we have if it is a long term solution for the #2C position.

Reactions: the_fan and cgf

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't make trades for the wrong reasons. Make a trade because it solves an issue, not just to shake things up.

I don't care how many points we have if it is a long term solution for the #2C position.

1522245968_400_heres-a-list-of-everyone-in-avengers-infinity-war.gif

Reactions: cgf

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
That Jeff Skinner trade was an absolute steal for Buffalo. Mind you they'll have to pay up after this season, but man he's been good. Wish the Avs would've been in on that.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The one thing Sakic has really sucked at is the bargain bin UFA signings. 3.9 million for Calvert when you could get Ennis and Riley Nash while saving 950k.

All 3 of those players fill different roles so they aren't really comparable and Calvert has been fine.

Really sucking in UFA would have been to do something really dumb like signing James Neal, which weren't you a big fan of that idea?

(My main point here being saying "really sucked" is being a bit extreme no?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->