Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I would not trade Ott 1st. It could turn out to be jack hughes, what would be a franchise turning player. NO to OTT 1st.

Its not even just Hughes, this entire draft is tailor made for the Avs, its incredibly deep on Center and has good options on wing as well. Even without 1st OA any pick in the top 8 would almost certainly fill a massive need for the Avs. Even if Ott loses the lotto and goes to 4th a guy like Cozens would be a perfect fit for this team.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That's my thoughts as well.

I wonder could the Avs get away with offering the Ottawa 3rd + A slightly better prospect instead of giving up our 2nd to make it happen.

Could be a creative cheap way to get a quality Top 9 forward here. Something like Ottawa 3rd + Lewis. Then look to sign Ferland for 3-4 years at ~3.5M. Solid cheap middle 6 option that plays the game the way we need.

If you can get Ferland for 3.5 AAV then you win most trades by a mile. Last I read he was looking for 5.5x 5+ years in term. The reason they are looking to move him after his great year is he is looking for big money and they aren't sure he is worth it as a player.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
George Richards, really fantastic former beat writer for the Panthers and then the Jackets, now works for the Athletic, had this to say yesterday:
Both Bobrovsky and Artemi Panarin are both rumored to be interested in playing hockey in the Sunshine State moving forward, either with the Panthers or in Tampa.
Also says that Bobrovsky will be the Panthers' #1 goaltending target this off-season. Says Varlamov might be their #2 off-season target. Wouldn't that be interesting if both Panarin and Bob went to Florida.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I've seen people post about protecting the Ottawa 1st in a possible trade (top 3 protected). How is that even possible? I don't think you can protect another team's 1st since the Avs don't have the rights to next year's Ottawa pick, so how would the Avs be able to move that pick back a year if it ends up top 3?

Besides that, trading the Ottawa pick at this point is insane.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
George Richards, really fantastic former beat writer for the Panthers and then the Jackets, now works for the Athletic, had this to say yesterday:

Also says that Bobrovsky will be the Panthers' #1 goaltending target this off-season. Says Varlamov might be their #2 off-season target. Wouldn't that be interesting if both Panarin and Bob went to Florida.

No chance TBL has the cap or need for either but I could see FLA as well as Phi making the mistake of going big on Bob. Varly will be a very interesting player this UFA, a lot of factors going into it.

Fla is stacked on scoring wingers though so I don't see Panarin being what they need.

Finally I think that report is useless because I see no way Fla finds the cap space for even one of them.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I've seen people post about protecting the Ottawa 1st in a possible trade (top 3 protected). How is that even possible? I don't think you can protect another team's 1st since the Avs don't have the rights to next year's Ottawa pick, so how would the Avs be able to move that pick back a year if it ends up top 3?

You can put whatever condition you want on a pick if both teams agree to it and put it in writing.

Most likely in the hypothetical situation that Colorado put top 3 protection on Ottawa's pick it would mean that if the Ottawa pick is in the top 3 the receiving team would get Colorado's 1st instead. It's probably not a likely trade to happen since the difference in Ottawa's 1st and Colorado's 1st is fairly substantial but it can be done.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

1 there is almost 0 chance the Avs move that pick in a non move up/ move down scenario. Its just fans having fun.

The Avs 100% own the Sens 1st, they could add any stipulation like (if its a top 5 pick you get this different pick instead). Not like that would make sense for the other team to do but it is possible. It would just be an Avs pick instead of the Ott one.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I guess I get that you could put other stipulations on it, but the drop from the Ott pick to the Col pick will likely be so significant that I doubt any team would make that trade with a top 3 protection. My comment was more referring to the fact that you can't protect it and move it back a year (like Ott last year) unless it becomes the Avs 2020 pick.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I used to dream about Panarin but I think I want Karlsson more, I would pay him whatever he wants for 7 years, let Johnson slide down the depth chart, makar sheltered, timmins ahl. Barrie traded for a young forward that will compliment whoever we draft with Ott. 1st and we are ready to contend next year. What would karlsson want on a deal? Is he friends with gabe? Us signing karlsson is the perfect cherry on top for this whole duchene fiasco, let’s go!

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I used to dream about Panarin but I think I want Karlsson more, I would pay him whatever he wants for 7 years, let Johnson slide down the depth chart, makar sheltered, timmins ahl. Barrie traded for a young forward that will compliment whoever we draft with Ott. 1st and we are ready to contend next year. What would karlsson want on a deal? Is he friends with gabe? Us signing karlsson is the perfect cherry on top for this whole duchene fiasco, let’s go!

I guess Panarin prefers beaches, likes to live next to the beach. Karlsson has been playing like the leagues top 5 Dman since mid November, he would probably resign with Sharks if he likes it there and the team is winning. Maybe Karlsson will figure out that Sharks wont be a competitive team as their core players are getting older and they have not too many good prospects in their pipeline.

Good thing Avs have a salary cap space for a player like Stone or Karlsson. Any pick, 1-7 from Ottawa would give us a top 2nd line player and the Barrie trade would give us another top end young winger. We would be contenders next season with Makar and Timmin's, hopefully if healthy, both in NHL next season. There is nothing for them to do down there in the minors.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If the Avs want any shot at someone like Karlsson they better make the playoffs and make some noise. The Avs aren't a big market, they don't have the worldly appeal of a big city like a New York, they don't have beaches and really low taxes. Tavares didn't give the Avs the time of day -- he still gave Dallas a chance to woo him even if he was already set on Toronto -- and by all accounts the Avs weren't one of the teams Karlsson was really interested in / willing to potentially re-sign with when he was traded before the season. Aside from the Sakic / Roy / Forsberg days making the Avs some guys' favourite team growing up there isn't a ton in Colorado to make them stand out. The only way to do that is to either 1) be a winning team that promises a chance to win cups in the future, or 2) offer more money than anyone else.

For someone like Karlsson getting #2 won't be a problem whatsoever, so if the Avs want someone like him they need to sell him on this team being a long-term serious cup contender. And that means actually doing something this season. Missing the playoffs again and even getting spanked in the first round would put the club right back at the bottom of the pile. NHL players aren't going to be as enamoured in "what ifs" and with "but look at our draft picks and prospects" quite like fans are. Results are what sells.

I think Karlsson and big-name free agents (unless they have an explicit Colorado connection) are a bit of a pipe dream no matter what, but the team needs definitive success if they want a shot at it.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If the Avs want any shot at someone like Karlsson they better make the playoffs and make some noise. The Avs aren't a big market, they don't have the worldly appeal of a big city like a New York, they don't have beaches and really low taxes. Tavares didn't give the Avs the time of day -- he still gave Dallas a chance to woo him even if he was already set on Toronto -- and by all accounts the Avs weren't one of the teams Karlsson was really interested in / willing to potentially re-sign with when he was traded before the season. Aside from the Sakic / Roy / Forsberg days making the Avs some guys' favourite team growing up there isn't a ton in Colorado to make them stand out. The only way to do that is to either 1) be a winning team that promises a chance to win cups in the future, or 2) offer more money than anyone else.

For someone like Karlsson getting #2 won't be a problem whatsoever, so if the Avs want someone like him they need to sell him on this team being a long-term serious cup contender. And that means actually doing something this season. Missing the playoffs again and even getting spanked in the first round would put the club right back at the bottom of the pile. NHL players aren't going to be as enamoured in "what ifs" and with "but look at our draft picks and prospects" quite like fans are. Results are what sells.

I think Karlsson and big-name free agents (unless they have an explicit Colorado connection) are a bit of a pipe dream no matter what, but the team needs definitive success if they want a shot at it.

As long as we make the playoffs, Draft #1 or #2 overall and get a second line. I think we have a chance. Sharks are looking good, though. They will do everything they can to make him re-sign before July, though. I doubt he will be ever a free agent.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
As long as we make the playoffs, Draft #1 or #2 overall and get a second line. I think we have a chance. Sharks are looking good, though. They will do everything they can to make him re-sign before July, though. I doubt he will be ever a free agent.

Agreed. Everyone knows Colorado has MacKinnon and Rantanen, two star forwards in their early 20's. A free agent like Karlsson could look at that duo as the next Kane/Toews. And it won't hurt if the Avalanche add Jack Hughes/Kappo Kakko in the draft.

I presume the Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Sharks will be the three teams which go the hardest after Karlsson.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Agreed. Everyone knows Colorado has MacKinnon and Rantanen, two star forwards in their early 20's. A free agent like Karlsson could look at that duo as the next Kane/Toews. And it won't hurt if the Avalanche add Jack Hughes/Kappo Kakko in the draft.

I presume the Avalanche, Golden Knights, and Sharks will be the three teams which go the hardest after Karlsson.

Exactly. When Karlsson compares the futures of Sharks and Avalanche. The answer is obvious. We should be better team in the future but they are right now. If we can get top2 pick and Karlsson, we would be stanley cup contenders instantly!

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Karlsson would be a perfect pickup for the Avs. Barrie would be expendable then and only then, and Avs wouldn't have to rely on him re-signing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nah, I've been pretty disappointed in his play this year as well. He had started to show signs of turning the corner again before his injury though.

I think he'd be the absolute perfect partner for Karlsson though. Big, mobile, good defensively and a heavy hitter. I think he'd mesh perfectly with EK and if Zads could figure out his consistency issues they would make for one hell of a Top pairing. And then you'd have G and EJ together on the 2nd pairing getting slightly more favorable minutes. I suspect Girard would thrive in that role where he doesn't have to be relied upon to be so strong defensively every night. And you get to ease Makar into the NHL on the bottom pairing for a couple of years next to probably as steady of a D partner as you could find in the NHL in Cole.

It'd be an absolute perfect situation for just about everyone involved. But the big issue is convincing EK to sign with the Avs. It'd require a tonne of leg work from Landeskog on top of the Avs being a playoff team this year.

I dont think its completely impossible to see EK on Colorado. But we have to be a good team this year to have any chance at it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I'm not even entertaining the idea of EK here. At all. I'll wait until he puts pen to paper to get excited over that chance.

He honestly isn't a need for the team atm. It'd be a luxury but not a need.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Something must have happened with Scherbak in Montreal. LA waived him and he cleared allowing him to be sent to Ontario. Very rare for a team to lose a young player on waivers and not claim his back once waived again to put back in their own farm.

Also another note from Montreal. They waived Schlemko. Schelmko is actually good. No need for us to claim since I’d rather use Graves/Meloche if we run that low on D but he would be a good depth add for a lot of teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad