Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Why is a 2nd line more important than a top pair? We have Compher and arguably Soderberg as legit 2nd line players. We don’t have a single top pairing defenseman.

I completely see our need for better high end forward depth, but I don’t understand why so many people are neglecting the fact that we don’t have a top pairing defenseman. They play between 40 and 50 percent of the game and we don’t own one that’s legit.

I posted a Dougie Hamilton thread on the main board not long ago, please take a minute or two to read the replies from Canes and Flames fans who watch(ed) him all the time.

Dougie Hamilton is on pace for 23 pts, by far the worst offensive production of his NHL career

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We need #1D. LD or RD. To me that's our biggest need after which comes 2C.

That said, Hamilton isn't #1D. He can play top pairing tho.

Erik Karlsson however..

I wonder where he'd land honestly. Everyone likes to bring up Tampa, but they are the new NYR when it comes to high end players available. I do not see how it is possible they afford him.

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I wonder where he'd land honestly. Everyone likes to bring up Tampa, but they are the new NYR when it comes to high end players available. I do not see how it is possible they afford him.

I've been thinking about that as well. No idea where he ends up. I truly believe Avs could be a possible destination for him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I posted a Dougie Hamilton thread on the main board not long ago, please take a minute or two to read the replies from Canes and Flames fans who watch(ed) him all the time.

Dougie Hamilton is on pace for 23 pts, by far the worst offensive production of his NHL career
Whether Dougie Hamilton is a #1D or not, my post was based on you saying we need to trade for forwards instead of defense. We need both, but I think a pairing defenseman is a bigger need than a 2nd line forward.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've been thinking about that as well. No idea where he ends up. I truly believe Avs could be a possible destination for him.

Yeah I would have thought that too if we got more than a passing Thank you, but no thank you from JT. Maybe (if) we make the playoffs again it would help, and again we'll be one of very few teams in a position to take the next step that has the cap space.

Us not even getting to pitch to JT kind of put me off getting hopeful. f***ing Dallas of all places got a better seat just because they are a no state income tax state.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Whether Dougie Hamilton is a #1D or not, my post was based on you saying we need to trade for forwards instead of defense. We need both, but I think a pairing defenseman is a bigger need than a 2nd line forward.

I agree that we need a #1 D but the hope here is EJ and Barrie will do the job until Makar takes over on the right side. On the left side we have no one who can do it. We're not going to spend all our assets on a guy like Hamilton who's basically a taller Tyson Barrie.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree that we need a #1 D but the hope here is EJ and Barrie will do the job until Makar takes over on the right side. On the left side we have no one who can do it. We're not going to spend all our assets on a guy like Hamilton who's basically a taller Tyson Barrie.

Graves is right on track to be our next McDonagh psshhhht...

It would just be karma for NYR getting him from the Habs. Also I'd bet any amount of money someone makes a comment about "people" labeling Graves our next McDonagh in arguments now. That should be fun, since we don't have enough of those.

Reactions: Hornstar

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m just not a believer in Tyson Jost. For me trading Jost and let’s say a 1st for Hamilton isn’t spending all our assets.

I’m also clearly higher on Hamilton than others are as well. If you believe Hamilton is just a taller Barrie (maybe he is) I don’t blame you for not seeing the need. I think he can be a legit minute muncher.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Jost and our 1st for Hamilton would be a no-brainer. Just can't see the Canes touching that, though. Their owner wants talented offense, and he seems impatient. I imagine only a 1 for 1 swap would tempt the Canes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe a more immediate need.
I mean I think it’s fair to assume Jost/Compher/Ottawa’s 1st/Kaut/Kamenev are much more likely to be able to successfully fill a role on the 2nd line than Makar/Girard/Timmins can on a top defensive pairing. Plus a top defensive pair is a much impactful presence on a hockey team than a 2nd forward line.

I don’t think a top pair is just an immiediete need. I think it’s a bigger future need than a 2nd forward line too based on the pieces we have.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I mean I think it’s fair to assume Jost/Compher/Ottawa’s 1st/Kaut/Kamenev are much more likely to be able to successfully fill a role on the 2nd line than Makar/Girard/Timmins can on a top defensive pairing. Plus a top defensive pair is a much impactful presence on a hockey team than a 2nd forward line.

I don’t think a top pair is just an immiediete need. I think it’s a bigger future need than a 2nd forward line too based on the pieces we have.

One I don't think the return you suggest gets even a #3D so there is that, and Hamilton is not a Pietrangelo style all situations defender. If hes top pair hes like EJ but a different type obviously.

Also lets put it this way. I think in order for us to be a perennial playoff team, and maybe a second round team the #2C is more important. Now for us to be a contender, yeah the top pair D is probably the most important going forward. Which is why I agree with @cgf when he says we're f***ed if Makar does not pan out.

I also think our strength moving forward is going to come from having a very strong top six D, and we'll have to pay to keep it.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I’m just not a believer in Tyson Jost. For me trading Jost and let’s say a 1st for Hamilton isn’t spending all our assets.

I’m also clearly higher on Hamilton than others are as well. If you believe Hamilton is just a taller Barrie (maybe he is) I don’t blame you for not seeing the need. I think he can be a legit minute muncher.

There is no chance they’ll accept Jost for the same reason AVs want to move him. If there is any deal to be made, Sens Pick which is certainly a Top 10 Pick in a draft heavy of Cs.

To be honest, I don’t want Hamilton. Something seems off in constantly being traded.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Teams have won without elite #1 blueliners. If you have elite firepower, and strong depth, you can win the cup. And with our top line and a blueline core that we should be able to just roll evenly once Makar can adapt to the NHL, we’d be just 1 big piece away from either formulation.

That’s why I’m down with acquiring an elite #1 blueliner or a 1b C stud to anchor the second line...I just think the later will be cheaper & easier to acquire...

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Something's off with Hamilton. Already traded twice despite putting up good numbers as a defender and now trade rumors starting after half a season with his new team.

Teams almost never trade young defenders putting up the kind of offense Hamilton can. Chiarelli said this week that those players just aren't there on the market. Well, one of them always is on the market it seems.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
There is no chance they’ll accept Jost for the same reason AVs want to move him. If there is any deal to be made, Sens Pick which is certainly a Top 10 Pick in a draft heavy of Cs.

To be honest, I don’t want Hamilton. Something seems off in constantly being traded.
Hamiton has a taint to him that I don't like either. No interest in him at all. I'd rather see what we have in Makar before we consider any moves on D.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Something's off with Hamilton. Already traded twice despite putting up good numbers as a defender and now trade rumors starting after half a season with his new team.

Teams almost never trade young defenders putting up the kind of offense Hamilton can. Chiarelli said this week that those players just aren't there on the market. Well, one of them always is on the market it seems.
Uppity...

...loner.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Hamilton is brutal, so soft & dumb, Gio made him look good in Calgary and treliving made a great trade. Ferland would be more intriguing to me.

Reactions: AnimalMother73

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hypothetical trade. If Tkachuk's demands are a bit too rich for Calgary, I've realized that even if the Avs severely overpay Rantanen, they still have a ton of cap space available in the offseason. So, would you do Tkachuk for Ottawa's 1st straight up (If it's not top 3)?

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hypothetical trade. If Tkachuk's demands are a bit too rich for Calgary, I've realized that even if the Avs severely overpay Rantanen, they still have a ton of cap space available in the offseason. So, would you do Tkachuk for Ottawa's 1st straight up (If it's not top 3)?
Yes, Calgary wouldn't

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad