Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Is there any sort of rule that a prospect has to play so many regular season games before being eligible for the playoffs?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Playing Kaut & Makar this season...and so having to protect them in the expansion draft...because we sat on our hands last summer; is exactly the kind of thing that causes me to gripe about a lack of proactivity.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Playing Kaut & Makar this season...and so having to protect them in the expansion draft...because we sat on our hands last summer; is exactly the kind of thing that causes me to gripe about a lack of proactivity.

Makar/Kaut would have to play 25 NHL games this season for that to happen.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
It’s not clear, but it could be just 1 game for Makar.
Ok, thanks.
I think it looks very bad on the NHL that these rules are not yet carved in stone. Teams have to make roster decisions now that can affect the xD. Amateurs.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At the end of the 48 point season if someone told you the Avalanche in the 18-19 season would be in a playoff have the top line all flirting with 100 points, possibly the best prospect in hockey and a lottery pick in the hole, would anyone think that was not enough?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
At the end of the 48 point season if someone told you the Avalanche in the 18-19 season would be in a playoff have the top line all flirting with 100 points, possibly the best prospect in hockey and a lottery pick in the hole, would anyone think that was not enough?

Things change with time.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avs425

Colorado MacKinnon
Jun 3, 2014
Saskatchewan
TFP Top 30 Trade Watch List has the Avs possible interested in:

RW Wayne Simmons (19 points)
RW Matts Zuccarello (16 points)
LW Ryan Dzingel (33 points)
RW Gustav Nyquist (39 points)
D Adam McQuaid (3 points - was injured for half of the season)

Now obviously just a rumours site and could mean nothing but maybe it's evidence enough that Joe is indeed looking to add up front if the price is right. I just don't think he will have a real itchy trigger finger this season.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I am disturbed seeing the Avs only interested in wingers now from Lebrun and TFP (if it's Pagnotta they're decent). Yeah they could use a decent winger, but by far the bigger need is figuring out the #2 centre spot. Much rather they concentrate their assets there, and I certainly don't want to see trade and perhaps eventual re-sign with the likes of Simmonds.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You wouldn't spend assets to get rentals in a tank year. Look at this as a tankette.

I've never agrued for a rental this year...nor do I agree with it being a tankette...but we should be looking for longterm solutions that can be brought in before next season begins.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Kaut can play 9 NHL games this year and be safe from the XD. Not sure about Makar, but if things continue the way they are, his college season could last longer than the Avs season. Frozen Four is the weekend of the first NHL playoff games.

Reactions: cgf

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I am disturbed seeing the Avs only interested in wingers now from Lebrun and TFP (if it's Pagnotta they're decent). Yeah they could use a decent winger, but by far the bigger need is figuring out the #2 centre spot. Much rather they concentrate their assets there, and I certainly don't want to see trade and perhaps eventual re-sign with the likes of Simmonds.
Should be rather clear that these reported players are readily available secondary scorers on rental deals. It has nothing to do with whether or not Sakic is looking for a top-end center. He can look all day.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Sakic missed out on a decent stopgap in Jordan Weal. Dude is actually quite good defensively and desperately needed a change in scenery. PHI let him go for a sixth rounder and a minor leaguer, and the minor leaguer was only because AZ had to dump a contract in order to stay at the 50-contract limit. Fletcher just wanted him gone. Not saying the guy would magically solve all their problems but he'd be a much, much better option at 4C than Dries, and if he played well enough could've let Bednar finally break the anchor chains he currently has wrapped around Carl Soderberg.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t hate Bednar’s usage of Soderberg as much as everyone else does. Yes Soderberg is a good hockey player and yes he’s arguably our best forward after the top line but Soderberg has never really made great use of his line mates. Soderberg has made an offensive career out of scoring off the rush or chipping in garbage in front. He’s really good at being an individual player and I don’t think his production changes much if he’s put with better hockey players.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don’t hate Bednar’s usage of Soderberg as much as everyone else does. Yes Soderberg is a good hockey player and yes he’s arguably our best forward after the top line but Soderberg has never really made great use of his line mates. Soderberg has made an offensive career out of scoring off the rush or chipping in garbage in front. He’s really good at being an individual player and I don’t think his production changes much if he’s put with better hockey players.

I think we've already seen snippets of how much better he is with linemates who can actually do something with the puck. While Nieto and Calvert are good at forcing turnovers and occasionally crashing the net, they don't have the offensive creativity to either put away the puck when it lands on their stick or get passes through traffic. Put a guy like Alex Kerfoot (who has had chemistry with Soda in the past) and/or Compher and I guarantee you'd see results over time you're not seeing now. The fact that he's producing with two offensively poor wingers shouldn't be an argument against something else.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think we've already seen snippets of how much better he is with linemates who can actually do something with the puck. While Nieto and Calvert are good at forcing turnovers and occasionally crashing the net, they don't have the offensive creativity to either put away the puck when it lands on their stick or get passes through traffic. Put a guy like Alex Kerfoot (who has had chemistry with Soda in the past) and/or Compher and I guarantee you'd see results over time you're not seeing now. The fact that he's producing with two offensively poor wingers shouldn't be an argument against something else.
Soderberg since the start of last season.

With Calvert: 2.33 goals per 60
With Nieto: 2.09 goals per 60
With Compher: 1.1 goals per 60
With Kerfoot: 1.24 goals per 60.

So no, i dont agree that he’d produce better with the players you suggested. Your snippets you’ve seen aren’t showing on the scoreboard.

Edited because I had the numbers wrong.

Last edited:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Soderberg since the start of last season.

With Calvert: 3.8 goals per 60
With Nieto: 2.28 goals per 60
With Compher: 2.05 goals per 60
With Kerfoot: 1.85 goals per 60.

So no, i dont agree that he’d produce better with the players you suggested. Your snippets you’ve seen aren’t showing on the scoreboard.
To me the difference between Nieto, Compher and Kerfoot is within the margin of error if we take into account sample size and usage.

I think it’s worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad