Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Just like every other team in the league?

It's free agency. Of course if you sign a player they're going to be overpaid.

I meant above and beyond what many other teams have to do. We only got Iginla because we offered him the third year, if I'm not mistaken the credible rumour at the time was he was going to Tampa or the Isles otherwise. I think Iggy might have even specifically mentioned that is what swayed him. We only got Beauchemin because we offered him the third year. Probably had to do the same for Cole and Calvert.

Reactions: cgf and Balthazar

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I meant above and beyond what many other teams have to do. We only got Iginla because we offered him the third year, if I'm not mistaken the credible rumour at the time was he was going to Tampa or the Isles otherwise. I think Iggy might have even specifically mentioned that is what swayed him. We only got Beauchemin because we offered him the third year. Probably had to do the same for Cole and Calvert.
Yes, we overpaid to get them. That's free agency.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm still fully on board the be aggressive camp personally. I've warmed up to the idea of Hayes a bit. If the Avs really like him, he's the sort of guy they should still make a trade for as long as they do it now rather than waiting (and feel they can re-sign him. I'm inclined to trust the opinion of henchy when he says it wouldn't be a problem whatsoever with Hayes specifically). Maybe the Rangers would be a willing partner too, because I'm sure they've realized the closer they wait until the deadline the longer they risk Duchene and / or Stone becoming the focus of everybody and them becoming the sloppy seconds. And I would move the Avs' 1st. You just put a top 10 protection on it with a deferral to 2020 if it is, which has become very normal. The Blues put a top 10 protection on the 1st for Schenn and their 1st for ROR. The Jets put a top 3 protection on their 1st for Stastny. The Sens obviously put a top 10 protection on their pick for Duchene. Bring Hayes in as a long term piece, and then if the club turns things around maybe look for a tweener winger add at the deadline for a relatively low price to boot.

This season can still absolutely be saved if something is done quickly. The central sucks. Dallas, Chicago (OT), and Minny lost tonight. Nashville and Winnipeg are probably well out of reach now, but that third spot in the central is begging to be grabbed by one of Dallas / Colorado / Minny. I won't be surprised if Nill steps up and tries to do something in Dallas.

Of course I don't think any of that will happen. Makar + the Sens 1st make it pretty comfortable for Sakic just to sit this year out.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'm all aboard the Hayes bandwagon, hell I probably drive that wagon at this point.

But outside of him I've cooled off on other moves unless it involves a goalie. Or some serious protection on our 1st. And I'm not for moving Kaut or Bowers anymore either. Both impressed me in the WJC and have started out strong after returning from that tournament.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
At least TRY frickin' Soda higher in the lineup and stack the top two lines, I don't see what you got to lose at this point. Then maybe start moving some players.

I think Sakic is waiting for some of these guys to play well and raise their intrinsic value and that's just not gonna happen right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm all aboard the Hayes bandwagon, hell I probably drive that wagon at this point.

But outside of him I've cooked off on other moves unless it involves a goalie. Or some serious protection on our 1st. And I'm not for moving Kaut or Bowers anymore either. Both impressed me in the WJC and have started out strong after returning from that tournament.

Hayes or Stone really are the only ones that make sense. Any forward not at Hayes quality or better just wouldn't move the needle enough IMO.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Long term I don't think Colorado are that many pieces away. Adding Kaut, Bowers, and possibly (Ott '19) to the line up is going to help so much next season; not only what they'll bring to the table, but their additions will reduce the role of a guy like Matt Calvert, who regularly plays too many minutes. Not to mention, Cale Makar has the potential to be the best defenseman this club has had since Rob Blake.

Short term, what a mess. Lose a bunch of games due to the offense drying up, then a bunch of games where your goaltenders can't stop a beach ball. Tonight, it was back to reason #1. I think Sakic needs to trade some expiring assets for another team's expiring assets and see if it shakes up the team. Right now things aren't working.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
If our play continues as is, do we do something before all Star break? So we can get the new addition a acclimated and such?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don’t think Bowers should be in the NHL next year...much rather he work on his offense in the AHL. I’d say the same for Kaut, especially to begin the year. I’d love to see him eclipse a PPG down there. Rushing either of those guys and counting on them to play significant roles next year in any capacity would just be repeating the mistake made this past offseason.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If our play continues as is, do we do something before all Star break? So we can get the new addition a acclimated and such?

I don't know if Ryan Boulding is considered a creditable source, but he said in their last podcast if they don't get out of this funk relatively soon look for them to do something to shake it up.

He specifically said it wouldn't be at the trade deadline but sooner.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Bowers in the AHL next year would be good for sure.

Kaut... I dunno. I don't think he should have an NHL spot gifted to him, but I do think with a good camp he should get his chance.

It all depends on how he does in the 2nd half of his AHL season, but he's showing signs of starting to figure things out and if he puts up say 30 points now in the last 40 games this season I think he'll be ready for Top 9 NHL minutes.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Another problem with another losing season is, who is going to want to sign with the Avs with their inability to compete regularly

That's not really a perception that's going to be changed by going after rentals.

Avs are a borderline playoff team. Avs are not in one of the most desirable markets for free agents (either NYR or a Florida/California team). Nothing about this has changed through this season or will change at trade deadline.

If Avs are going to be attractive to free agents this summer it's because of the first line and the talent coming in the coming years. Using that talent to rent Simmonds for a few months isn't going to make Avs look more appealing.

If a UFA thinks this team might contend for cups in the short to mid term, this team will be an interesting option.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Avs were looking to use their cap space I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if Victor Rask is available in Carolina. He's owed $4M year for another three seasons and haven't had a great year. He could be a good Soda replacement in the long run and shouldn't be very expensive.

I'd offer Andrighetto + COL 2019 2nd round pick/OTT 2019 3rd round pick for him. It would obviously hinge on Carolina wanting to move on but with him being 11th in TOI/game for them, chance are they would.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Keep Martin Kaut in the AHL next season unless you find a real centre to play with him on the 2nd line. Given Bednar is so damn stubborn and refuses to play Soderberg in that role, there isn't anyone currently on the team that I have confidence playing the 2C role. Not Compher, not Kerfoot, definitely not Jost, not Kamenev. Nobody. Let him play in the AHL with Bowers as his centre and see what they can do together. Kaut has 15 points in 30 AHL games this season. Keep in mind someone like Mikko had 60 in 52 games. Not saying that Kaut is supposed to be Mikko, but I'd rather see higher than 0.5 PPG production in the minors before a guy comes up to the NHL and is expected to play a scoring role.

As for Victor Rask, I wouldn't be opposed but I wouldn't want to pay too much. He's had seasons of 48 and 45 points but dropped to 31 last season and now has just 5 points in 24 games this season. Maybe a change of scenery is needed there.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If Avs were looking to use their cap space I wouldn't be opposed to seeing if Victor Rask is available in Carolina. He's owed $4M year for another three seasons and haven't had a great year. He could be a good Soda replacement in the long run and shouldn't be very expensive.

I'd offer Andrighetto + COL 2019 2nd round pick/OTT 2019 3rd round pick for him. It would obviously hinge on Carolina wanting to move on but with him being 11th in TOI/game for them, chance are they would.

I don't think we can really risk tying up cap space like that in a bottom line player. I really do not want them spending on anyone outside of a top six forward or #1D. Anything else is a waste of cap IMO. We have so damn many players for the middle of the roster. Even our youth forwards are expected to come in at middle of the roster types of levels, and on ELCs.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
I keep seeing Andrighetto in proposals like he has value. He might get an AHL change of scenery type player in return. Really he is what he is when the Avs got him, waiver wire fodder.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I keep seeing Andrighetto in proposals like he has value. He might get an AHL change of scenery type player in return. Really he is what he is when the Avs got him, waiver wire fodder.

It's more a body in->body out type of thing. He hasn't got much trade value.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
We might have a better idea about how ready Kaut's game is by the end of this season. It's just a hunch, but if the Avalanche make the post-season, it wouldn't shock me if they go the Wojtek Wolski route and call him up just for the playoffs.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
More interested in what they do with Makar. Is he inserted right into the Avs lineup or given more seasoning in the A once college is done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad