Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVII| Are We Sellers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Soderberg since the start of last season.

With Calvert: 3.8 goals per 60
With Nieto: 2.28 goals per 60
With Compher: 2.05 goals per 60
With Kerfoot: 1.85 goals per 60.

So no, i dont agree that he’d produce better with the players you suggested. Your snippets you’ve seen aren’t showing on the scoreboard.

I'd say the sample sizes you're using here are waaaay outta whack there to really make a determination based on the numbers alone.

It might be too late anyway. Compher has lost confidence and can't hit a bull in the ass with his shot now. Kerf is back to Mr. Never-shoot, so...meh. But I don't agree that the way Bednar is using Soda is the absolute best utilization of his skill set, for many reasons I've already stated. We can disagree on this.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
To me the difference between Nieto, Compher and Kerfoot is within the margin of error if we take into account sample size and usage.

I think it’s worth a try.
Perhaps you’re right but past proof isn’t showing that. Anything could happen in the future.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Perhaps you’re right but past proof isn’t showing that. Anything could happen in the future.
Also your stats are only one side of the story. How are Jost, Compher and Kerfoot doing together and how would Calvert and Nieto do with another center? Bednar needs to find the total optimum for line 2 and 3 combined. Not just the optimum for line 3 (Soda’s).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd say the sample sizes you're using here are waaaay outta whack there to really make a determination based on the numbers alone.

It might be too late anyway. Compher has lost confidence and can't hit a bull in the ass with his shot now. Kerf is back to Mr. Never-shoot, so...meh. But I don't agree that the way Bednar is using Soda is the absolute best utilization of his skill set, for many reasons I've already stated. We can disagree on this.
I mean it’s certainly possible that his play improves with top linemates but historically I’m talking about facts. He completely struggled to play in any sort of top 6 role in Boston yet basicly dominated as a 3C.

I’m not saying Soderberg absolutely can’t produce in an elevated role with better linemates. I’m saying historically he hasn’t. Landeskog is the only top 6 quality guy I ever remember him ever showing any decent consistency with.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean it’s certainly possible that his play improves with top linemates but historically I’m talking about facts. He completely struggled to play in any sort of top 6 role in Boston yet basicly dominated as a 3C.

I’m not saying Soderberg absolutely can’t produce in an elevated role with better linemates. I’m saying historically he hasn’t. Landeskog is the only top 6 quality guy I ever remember him ever showing any decent consistency with.

Well, he seemed to work okay that first season in CO, and he was definitely the team's 2nd line C with Duchene on that top line RW with Landy and MacK. I believe that remains his best season stat-wise in Colorado, though it's possible he surpasses that this season.

I really don't think we'd see some huge dropoff in terms of defensive quality if Soda were to get promoted and they put someone else in that 3C spot. Conversely, I think you'd FINALLY get a guy with the size and power (and skill) necessary to really drive play on that 2nd line, allowing the other forwards there to finally get some space to create offense. That's the biggest issue I see is that they get pinned along the boards and there's no chance for them to do anything of note.

It may not work but there's simply ZERO reason not to try it at this point. Bednar is not preserving anything by maintaining the status quo.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Kaut can play 9 NHL games this year and be safe from the XD. Not sure about Makar, but if things continue the way they are, his college season could last longer than the Avs season. Frozen Four is the weekend of the first NHL playoff games.

Yep, since Kaut’s ELC can still slide, he doesn’t have the same restrictions that Makar might...as Cale’s late birthday means that his ELC will start the second he plays for us on it. If he only signs an ELC for next season, and plays in AHL on an ATO, we should be covered even in the worst case scenario; so unless the team has had that clarified for them, I hope this is the course we pursue with Makar.

Reactions: Avsrule2022

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Can a player sign his ELC and then sign an ATO in the AHL? I didn't think that was possible. Isn't it one or the other?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can a player sign his ELC and then sign an ATO in the AHL? I didn't think that was possible. Isn't it one or the other?

I don't remember if it's only after a certain date...but prospects can sign an ELC for the following season & play in the AHL for the rest of the ongoing campaign, on an ATO. Since the ELC wouldn't actually come into effect, despite already being signed, until the following season.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I don't remember if it's only after a certain date...but prospects can sign an ELC for the following season & play in the AHL for the rest of the ongoing campaign, on an ATO. Since the ELC wouldn't actually come into effect, despite already being signed, until the following season.
I see what you mean now. Yeah it makes sense.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Expansion Draft adds a fun wrinkle to the already interesting ELC-calculus. Last time around the situation with Mikko was similar except we had a lot less we were going to need to protect & Mikko’s deal could still slide. Though he could have required protection if it did, depending on when we called him up & what the specific cut off point was.

In hindsight I still kinda wish we had just bit the bullet and risked needing to protect him to burn off that first year of his ELC once we were past the point where he could still get his first year of service towards UFA. We wouldn’t have lost anyone important either way and we would have signed Mikko to his long term deal this past summer, when there might have still been hopes of getting him to sign something that started with a 7.

But that’s neither here nor there as this next Expansion Draft will extract a much higher cost from us than Pickard. So even if it lets us lock Makar down before he’s gotten to build up as much of a resume, we have to play it safe with regards to his exposure.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018

It's possible that he might not be good at 2c. But at this point what's the harm? I don't think we can play worse than we have been.

Reactions: MacBradley

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The goalie issue is really bothering me. Even if one of Grubauer or Varly have a great end to the season I’m still going to be really upset over this stretch.

Consistency is important with goaltenders. The argument that “when he’s on he’s one of the best in the league” really pisses me off. Wouldn’t that be the case for any goalie? The best goalies are the one’s you can count on every night. Our goalies have already proven that they can’t.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This is definitely a strange year for goaltending. Peter McNab put it well during last night's game when he said something to the effect of "goaltenders aren't going to put up the gaudy numbers like they have the last 10 years" and that we need to focus on the win column.

Right now Colorado's goaltending seems to be fluctuating between losing every one goal game the team is in (i.e. Grubauer/Varlamov not making the extra big save needed to win) to getting absolutely shelled for 6-7 goals.

For old people, this season reminds me very much of the 1995-1996 season.

Reactions: MacBradley

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Consistency is important with goaltenders. The argument that “when he’s on he’s one of the best in the league” really pisses me off. Wouldn’t that be the case for any goalie? The best goalies are the one’s you can count on every night. Our goalies have already proven that they can’t.

There aren't many of them in this league and they are usually still with the teams that drafted them. That's exactly why I'm driving the Spencer Knight bandwagon right now.

Waiting 3-4 years for him to join the team is nothing in the grand scheme of things. He'll still be there for Mack's prime, Rants', Makar's, Kaut's, Hughes (?) and others. It's much easier to patch the goaltending hole for the next 3 years than to get a franchise goalie in his prime on the trade market (ask the Flyers). Getting gifted prime Patrick Roy won't ever happen again.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
shadow1 said:
For old people, this season reminds me very much of the 1995-1996 season.

This season reminds you of the first Stanley Cup winning season when Roy was acquired?

Okay, I will bite... how?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The goalie issue is really bothering me. Even if one of Grubauer or Varly have a great end to the season I’m still going to be really upset over this stretch.

Just like Duchene was an elite C when he was on.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Michael Ferland would be a welcome addition to the bottom-9. KO’d Watson in a fight tonight.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
given these rumors about the Devils "moving some pieces", I'd be fine giving a 2nd + bottom 6er for MoJo. he hasn't been healthy since changing teams, but he is still 28 so I'd take the risk. not so long ago he was a quality middle 6er, with high hockey IQ and two-way play. would be perfect to slot ahead or behind Soda and shouldn't cost much (to acquire and re-sign later).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah its probably the biggest thing eating at me. If they're going to be this bad its almost pointless to do anything in season. The other thing is it really messes with the team as a whole. They play hard, and get f***ed anyway. I'm not sure how you manage a locker room that can't rely on their goaltending.

Also it could turn around tomorrow..

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This season reminds you of the first Stanley Cup winning season when Roy was acquired?

Okay, I will bite... how?

The NHL as a whole, I mean, due to the scoring surge. Definitely not this club to the '96 Avs...no way.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Varlamov ~ “We have to play consistent. That’s our job. We have to give the team a chance to win every night,” Varlamov said. “So it’s been difficult. We’ve been going through a difficult time lately. We know our record. Our record is 1-9 in the last 10 games. That’s all I can say.”

“Our job is to stop this as soon as we can,” he said. “I think the team is working hard every night. We just keep losing and it’s very frustrating.”

Grubauer~
“You want to have consistency but you want to play the right way,” Grubauer said. “There are some nights where we get a couple shots and give up a couple chances against. Then, there are other nights where we give up more so. …
“The way it’s been going the last 10 games, 11 games, I think we’ve made progress in the right direction. I think we make a lot of mistakes all over the ice. That’s part of it.”

“Because guys in front of us play different too and it’s (a dynamic) you’re always trying to figure out, especially for me because I’m new here,” Grubauer said. “Varly has been here a couple years so he knows how certain guys play. That’s a little bit challenging for me to figure out different guys and different situations on different nights but we have the same approach as we did in the beginning of the year.”

Speaking of these two. I don't really enjoy hearing Grubs throw out excuses and talk about the teams mistakes. While hes not wrong, his comments and Varly's are just in such stark contrast.

If Grub gets more shit than Varly by any margin, his tone does not help in the least. He comes off as if to deflect and make excuses.

Beyond some hopes for Grubauer, he really has done nothing to endear himself to the fan base, and it is also just added frustration when thinking about his contract.

This is from Clark's most recent article on the Athletic Varlamov on Avs' goaltending: 'We have to play consistent.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
After the last five games Grubauer has played (pulled twice, 6 GA in another appearance), he shouldn't be commenting on the mistakes of the rest of the team.

I've lived through the Budaj/Raycroft and Pickard/Smith eras, but I'll confidently say the last 6-7 games has been the worst stretch of goaltending I've seen from this club.

Though, I don't think Grubauer's contract is a huge issue. He's currently the 29th highest paid goalie in the NHL, and will almost certainly be passed by John Gibson and Robin Lehner by next season. If he ends up being the back up, it'll suck, but so be it. He makes the same amount of money Detroit ended up paying Jonathan Bernier.

R2daV

Apr 8, 2018
Speaking of these two. I don't really enjoy hearing Grubs throw out excuses and talk about the teams mistakes. While hes not wrong, his comments and Varly's are just in such stark contrast.

If Grub gets more **** than Varly by any margin, his tone does not help in the least. He comes off as if to deflect and make excuses.

Beyond some hopes for Grubauer, he really has done nothing to endear himself to the fan base, and it is also just added frustration when thinking about his contract.

This is from Clark's most recent article on the Athletic Varlamov on Avs' goaltending: 'We have to play consistent.
Grubs really does come across as an entitled a**hole. He also took a subtle jab a few months back at the fact that he was sitting for too many games in a row

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Grubs really does come across as an entitled a**hole. He also took a subtle jab a few months back at the fact that he was sitting for too many games in a row

Oh yea, these are just the latest when it comes to how his comments come across. They are consistently on the line of making you wonder how accountable he feels for his performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad