Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The only one for one trade I could see with Varlamov would be Wayne Simmonds .

Maybe back when they were closer to a playoff spot, but I doubt they'd do it at this point. Simmonds will get more at the TDL from a contender than Varly will. Not a lot of buyers end up needing goal-tending lol.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If they were going to trade Varly it should have been 6-8 weeks ago, as I said then, when every team was in it, many teams clearly desperately needed goaltending, and Varly was healthy and playing lights out hockey. Now he’s struggling, some teams have seemingly resolved their issues, and others might be less keen. Don’t think he’ll be traded, and if he was I wouldn’t expect much anymore.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
If they were going to trade Varly it should have been 6-8 weeks ago, as I said then, when every team was in it, many teams clearly desperately needed goaltending, and Varly was healthy and playing lights out hockey. Now he’s struggling, some teams have seemingly resolved their issues, and others might be less keen. Don’t think he’ll be traded, and if he was I wouldn’t expect much anymore.
Yep the timing is not ideal. Only a season ending injury to a starter on a contender could change things now.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If its a C you're looking for Jost is your man!

Not quite the type of C I was thinking of. Brassard isn't really working out as the 3C (he's more of a 2C) and was thinking that swapping him for a more traditional 3C could be a possibility. Wilson's versatility and contract status jumped out at me.

Soderberg is interesting too, but the contract makes it kinda complicated. No clue if the Avs would move him, but I know he had it real rough last season.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Not quite the type of C I was thinking of. Brassard isn't really working out as the 3C (he's more of a 2C) and was thinking that swapping him for a more traditional 3C could be a possibility. Wilson's versatility and contract status jumped out at me.

Soderberg is interesting too, but the contract makes it kinda complicated. No clue if the Avs would move him, but I know he had it real rough last season.

Soderberg isn't available but he's probably the perfect C for the Penguins if used properly. Bednar is using him strictly as a shutdown C (sort of how Sullivan is misusing Brassard) but he'd bring good offense with the right linemates and the right zone starts.

These teams are bad trading partners. Brassard is more of what the Avs already have so I doubt there's real interest there, and none of the options the Avs have available for the Penguins would really move the needle in a trade. They have a lot of "more valuable to the team than to anyone else" players like Jost, Zadorov, Kerfoot, etc.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I can see Sakic moving Greer and a 2nd for Frolik. Or Jost for Frolik and a 3rd.

Responsible vet who you don't want in your top 6 but whom every team will try to use in the top 6.

Seems like the perfect do nothing move that won't solve any problems.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Pens fan here. How has Colin Wilson been at center?
He played mostly LW/RW in his time here, and now he's hurt long term, so it's unlikely he'll play center in the near future. IDK how long he's supposed to be out but hopefully he comes back in time to put a strong end of the season together for his contract year. I doubt they retain him but he can probably be a fine utility bottom sixer somewhere for the right money. He was just miscast here as a 2LW.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Did you really post a link from September? That's pretty dishonest isn't it? This was Dec/Jan like we are now:

Will John Tavares stay or go? As questions keep coming, Islanders star ups his game

As in months previous, Tavares said he's no closer to making a decision on his future with the franchise, preferring to focus on the season at hand.

Does it sound similar to "expects contract negotiations to begin in the next couple of weeks and hopes his time can continue in Ottawa" to you? Hint: No it doesn't.

You said Tavares didn't want to talk about a contract extension during the season. I provided a link proving exactly the opposite. He had absolutely no issue discussing an extension during the season and did have negotiations all throughout the year with the Islanders. Including telling the Islanders not to trade him at the deadline because he wanted to stay.

The point is listening to anything NHL players say to the media about this stuff is incredibly stupid. They have the same 2-3 different things that they all say and none of it is important at all. Whether they say they dont want to talk extension during the year or whether they hope to be a part of the organization going forward or whatever they say it does not matter at all. It's all just useless talk they say to keep the media from knowing what's really going on beyond closed doors.

Reactions: Foppberg

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Remember when Stastny said he'd be willing to take a discount to stay, and then left for St. Louis? Yeah.

Exactly. What these players say to the media, hell what the GMs say to the media as well, means absolutely nothing.

Remember when Dorion said the plan was to sign Erik Karlsson on July 1st and then on July 1st how he said they gave him a fair offer and the ball was in EKs court and 2 months later he was traded.

What these guys say to the media literally means absolutely nothing.

Reactions: Jayricho

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Remember when Stastny said he'd be willing to take a discount to stay, and then left for St. Louis? Yeah.

I remember when people here thought he'd take a discount and then left for STL. I also remember when people thought he'd take a discount to come back and then signed with Vegas.

If Stasny said he'd take a discount to stay I don't remember it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA