Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think Bednar's to blame for this losing streak, but he hasn't been able to fix these poor starts either.

Six game losing streak, playoff spot starting to slip away, embarrassing loss on NBC while the commentators talk endlessly about teams having the blueprint to beat the Avs, Quenneville available. His seat has to be getting hot at this point.

I don’t think he’s entirely to blame, but he definitely shares some of it. As the coach it’s his job to get the players fired up and prepared for the games and to change things if they aren’t working. And he hasn’t changed a damn thing for more than a period, and all that he did was change up the top line a little.

In saying that, he doesn’t have much to work with when it comes to the bottom 9 so there’s only so much he can change.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If we miss the playoffs and Sakic decides this summer is when he will make a couple of moves, it could make sense to bring in a new coach at that time.

Nothing will happen during the season and even if it happens in the offseason, Q won’t be the solution. Need a higher tempo system.

I am yet to believe Bednar is truly the problem, but missing the playoffs would justify tough decisions.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If we miss the playoffs and Sakic decides this summer is when he will make a couple of moves, it could make sense to bring in a new coach at that time.

Nothing will happen during the season and even if it happens in the offseason, Q won’t be the solution. Need a higher tempo system.

I am yet to believe Bednar is truly the problem, but missing the playoffs would justify tough decisions.

Are there any good coaches that will be out there aside from Q that would work for us?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I've been a Bednar fan since the beginning but like others I am starting to have doubts when I see him always starting the OT with the same players and his unwillingness to try Soda as the 2C until a better option is found. However I am willing to give him a pass for now until Sakic gives him a better 2nd line and Makar and Timmins show what they provide to the team.

Reactions: shadow1

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Q is receiving 6M/year to sit at home. He'll stop receiving that money the second he's hired by another team. Other team will have to at least match that 6M for him to consider it (and he'd basically work for free). I doubt he'd accept less than 6M and basically pay to work.

Reactions: MacBradley

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Pierre McGuire's "blue print" comment is a false narrative. Every fan in the NHL knows this club has no depth (thanks, Rick Pracey). Al Arbour could be behind the bench and Colorado would be in the same situation, more or less.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Joe Sakic and Ron Francis have similar personalities and are similar GM's.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Pierre McGuire's "blue print" comment is a false narrative. Every fan in the NHL knows this club has no depth (thanks, Rick Pracey). Al Arbour could be behind the bench and Colorado would be in the same situation, more or less.

Coaches and goaltenders always get the blame first. Bednar's struggling to get this lineup with holes in it to be competitive on a consistent basis. Imagine trying to squeeze blood from the stone of the group a few years ago.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Coaches and goaltenders always get the blame first. Bednar's struggling to get this lineup with holes in it to be competitive on a consistent basis. Imagine trying to squeeze blood from the stone of the group a few years ago.
I don't think anybody's expecting Bednar to turn this season's team into the Tampa Bay Lightning. He doesn't seem to be able to fix or at least improve the things which should be in his area of control, though.
However, as long as there isn't a better alternative Avs should keep him. He's still miles better than Roy or Sacco were.

CaleMakaw

Jul 12, 2018
My gripe with bednar during this slump is that he wont move Soda away from the third line. He's earned second line duty for sure, give him compher and kerfoot/Jost and maybe we'd have a scoring line to relieve some pressure off of the top line. I don't know why he's so attached to punishing soda by making him carry the plugs. He's willing to shake up the top line but that line won't get touched? Doesn't make any sense. He was supposed to be our ROR replacement. Well give him some decent wingers and see if he flourishes.

Reactions: Tommy G

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Do you guys think theres a chance we trade up from like 3-5in the draft Kaako? Maybe they are rebuilding and need a center and dont mind waiting an extra season or two.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't blame Bednar for this mess. Anyone following the Avs knew before the season started we had no proper second line. We still don't have one and that's the biggest issue. You can't expect us to beat other teams, game after game with one line.

This team needs scoring depth and quality upfront. Hopefully Stone joins us this off-season with Kakko. If that happens, we need to go for it..

Johnson is another problem because his level has dropped but Makar should help with that. Goaltending is the next big question. I don't trust Varly anymore and we will need someone new..

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The only thing that is truly frustrating this season is that Stastny would have solved this entire 2nd line problem. If BSN is to be believed he would have come back, he signed a reasonable deal, and injury aside is playing very well for Vegas.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is always something with this team isn't it? As soon as they fix one problem, another problem occurs. Going back when the team needed a D and goalie, they fixed those problems but needed game breaking forward or two, and now that they got that, they're gonna need a D and goalie again as EJ is regressing, Varly is just always injured and Grubauer so far doesn't look like he can be a #1, not to mention the team needs forward depth badly.

It's just a vicious cycle with this team. When will they put it all together no one knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad