Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Getting Pietrangelo would be a huge addition to our team, but sadly I just can't see it happening for a number of reasons:

• division rivals, which would drive up the price
  • Blues aren't rebuilding, they'll want pieces that can help right away, we don't have that
  • the young pieces we might be willing to give up don't carry that much value around the league
  • Pietrangelo is signed for one more year, giving up a bounty for him and then potentially not being able to extend him would be a huge blow for the future of this team
On another note concerning Stone, I see no one really mentions how does the potential aftermath of us getting him and signing him for market value does to Mikko's contract demands.

Absolutely nothing. Two entirely different situations and level of players. Rantanen will make his money regardless of what happens with Stone. If anyone will have an impact on Rantanen and what he makes it'll be Marner, Laine, and Matthews.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
I think Sakic is waiting till he knows that he can draft Hughes. :naughty:
AVS will finally have some deserved luck. :D

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
If the Avs lose the next game I think Sakic has to do something.

I would welcome Coach Q back, I don't think this is all one Bednar, a lot of it is roster construction but the OT loses and abysmal powerplay during this skid are something that could be coached out.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

I would welcome Coach Q back, I don't think this is all one Bednar, a lot of it is roster construction but the OT loses and abysmal powerplay during this skid are something that could be coached out.
Sakic isn't going to fire Bednar because of a rough few weeks lol

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Sakic isn't going to fire Bednar because of a rough few weeks lol

I admit Bednar is a much less likely scapegoat than a trade, but as the GM Sakic has to do something to wake the team up. Just really wish they went after Stastny in the offseason, he has been on fire since returning in Vegas and is exactly what the team needs.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I admit Bednar is a much less likely scapegoat than a trade, but as the GM Sakic has to do something to wake the team up. Just really wish they went after Stastny in the offseason, he has been on fire since returning in Vegas and is exactly what the team needs.

What's most important is that he has a clear picture of what he wants this team to look like going forward. There's no point in overreacting because of not playing well for dozen games. He should obviously try to improve the team, but the future should be in focus, no dumb trade like the Boedker one.

In his place, I would scour the market for a defensively responsible 3rd line center who can allow Soderberg to move up in a more offensive role, inquire about upcoming big name UFAs and their willingness to extend in Colorado if given the chance to do so by their teams, trade Varlamov (I'm sorry but the fear of starting Gru or Frenchman or someone 3rd in the playoffs if either gets hurt makes no sense to me) to the highest bidder, figure out what to do with Kerfoot, send Jost down ...

Reactions: ljb4 and CobraAcesS

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A major sticking point in convincing a guy like Stone to stick around if we trade for him (or try to sign him as a UFA in July if he makes it that far) is who that Ottawa first ends up being.

I know we’re young, fast and improving. But it’s going to matter to a guy like that who he plays with. Someone like Stone is going to have the accept the fact that they’ll be playing on the second line which may not be what they want considering they’d be a driving 1st line need on pretty much every NHL team.

It’s a lot easier selling Stone on playing on our “1B” line with Jack Hughes for the next 7/8 years than it would be trying to convince him he’ll enjoy playing with Kerfoot/Compher/Jost etc.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If you get a player of that caliber you definitely see how he can fit in with our big 3 up front.

You could go:

Compher - Nate - Mikko
Landeskog - Soderberg - Stone

or:

Landeskog - Nate - Mikko
Compher - Soda - Stone

And so on. Getting a Hughes obviously changes the dynamic, but I would honestly rather go with option 1 and then Hughes on the 3rd line, but that is obviously a pipe dream.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Right now stone is playing with Tkachuk and Tierney, Give him Landeskog and either Jost/Compher and put him on the top PP and I think he will be happy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Soderberg is not a 2C. Maybe he could be an ok one with Stone in his wing but he's really a 3C. He only had 37 points last year and after a hot start this year he's cooled off a tonne lately and is probably gonna end up in that 35-40 point range again at seasons end. That's not a 2C, not for a team hoping to make noise in the playoffs next season.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Soderberg is not a 2C. Maybe he could be an ok one with Stone in his wing but he's really a 3C. He only had 37 points last year and after a hot start this year he's cooled off a tonne lately and is probably gonna end up in that 35-40 point range again at seasons end. That's not a 2C, not for a team hoping to make noise in the playoffs next season.
I mean he's put up 50 points twice, and is roughly on pace for that this year. He's not an ideal #2C but he can do it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I think he can pass as a 2C for a little. I mean he has 50 point potential if you give him people that aren’t total plugs on his line. But yes ideally he is a 3C.

Reactions: klozge

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I had a conversation on the Blues board about what it would take to get Pietrangelo or Tarasenko off their hands. The price for either one is very steep, according to the fans, and rightfully so. Those two players are still young and elite in their positions. I imagine the price and contract status of both will scare Sakic off from pulling the trigger, especially since we're in the same division. If GMJS feels compelled to trade with STL, I would assume Schenn would be the guy, as he would be more affordable.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Who does he play with? How much PP time does he get? Where is he deployed?

He is a playmaker playing with guys who are unable to score, and belong more either on the 4th line or the AHL, spends 1.5 minutes per game on the pp again surrounded with ho-hum talent, and starts an absurd amount of shifts in his own zone. He is most assuredly a low-end #2 center who is getting deployed as the team's go-to shutdown center because this team hasn't been able to get a decent defensively responsible bottom 6 center since McClement left town.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I don't see Pietro being a fit here. EJ is starting to play like he is unmovable, Barrie is still around, Makar is coming up, and Cole can play both sides. If Sakic would want to go crazy and get Pietro and then ship of Barrie sure, but I just don't see it.

I can see Schenn or Steen being a target (although steens age vs cap hit are not ideal).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Coach Q?

Get ready Sheldon Dries getting 20 minutes on the 1st line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I simply can't see Bednar moving away from his Soda lines for long. It might make some sense to try Soda in that role, but I don't see it as realistic with Bednar the helm. In that dream world though... moving Soda up and finding a way to grab Faksa would be quite amazing.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If the rumors are true about Pietro I would assume the Blues would want Varly + in return.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If the rumors are true about Pietro I would assume the Blues would want Varly + in return.

If the centerpiece to getting a Dman of Pietrangelos caliber was an impending UFA Goalie, the deal would already be done.

Varly might be a throw in, but much more valuable pieces would be involved.

Colorado 1st + Varlamov + Timmins

That as a basis might start a conversation between the two teams.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We'd have to get a stupid price on Pietrangelo for it to make sense, and the Blues will do no such thing within the division.

Tarasenko would be a good target, but he'll cost an arm and a leg, obviously.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
We'd have to get a stupid price on Pietrangelo for it to make sense, and the Blues will do no such thing within the division.

Tarasenko would be a good target, but he'll cost an arm and a leg, obviously.

Tarasenko not so hot right now, wonder if we can somewhat get him at a slight discount. :naughty: This team really need to do something...I understand going through slump but since the Roy regime this happens every year. Just so frustrating every time this happenes, really thought they had it fixed then December came...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Nobody is talking about this guy and he may not want anything to do with Colorado, but if Erik Karlsson makes it to free agency in July you better believe Sakic is chasing him.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If the centerpiece to getting a Dman of Pietrangelos caliber was an impending UFA Goalie, the deal would already be done.

Varly might be a throw in, but much more valuable pieces would be involved.

Colorado 1st + Varlamov + Timmins

That as a basis might start a conversation between the two teams.
I guess I could have worded that better. I just meant that if the Blues are dealing with us Varly would have to be part of that deal. That is all. Other pieces would need to be added of course. There are no other reason that makes sense for them to be dealing with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad