Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Still better than the nothing Stan Bowman was willing to accept for Manning.

Not really... Edmonton sent out enough salary to cover most of Manning's. So yeah Edmonton could have gotten Manning for 'free,' but free really meant ~3.5m in salary. Garrison is 9/10 D level and Caggiula is a depth plug who can fill in on bad team's top 6 when injuries hit.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Chia is the worst GM in the league and it isn't even close. The only guy I'd rank anywhere near him is Jim Benning, but at least that guy is drafting relatively well.

Meanwhile, Lucic has scored 1 goal in his past 54 games. 2 goals in his past 84 games, which is over a full year.

2 goals in a calendar year.

$6M per just doesn't buy what it used to....

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not really... Edmonton sent out enough salary to cover most of Manning's. So yeah Edmonton could have gotten Manning for 'free,' but free really meant ~3.5m in salary. Garrison is 9/10 D level and Caggiula is a depth plug who can fill in on bad team's top 6 when injuries hit.

I don't think highly of either GM to be honest but it still leaves me flabbergasted that Chia would even trade for a worthless D-man to begin with, much less the GUY WHO ENDED CONNOR MCDAVID"S ROOKIE SEASON. Just ridiculous.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Guhle, who would be in the AHL for Colorado as he is with your franchise does not come close to closing the gap in value between Jost/Nylander and Scandella/Soderberg.

FWIW I like Guhle a lot. He’s on his way to being what we had hoped Bigras would be before his concussions. And Scandella’s pretty comparable to Cole when we’re not over-playing him.

We just don’t need Scandella because of Cole and Guhle isn’t worth Jost & Soda.

I’d do Soda, Jost, Timmins, our 1st & a conditional pick for Mitt & Guhle.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bad move. If the Avs are smart they can build a great team for the next decade or more. Giving up a lot for an UFA without any extension would be awful.

Lets assume we trade for Stone and then he walks as a free agent. You have gutted the prospect pool and shortened our cup window without having anything to show for it.

Building a decade long contender is harder when your paying your top line 30M a year unless you’ve won enough cups to get guys to work with you on contracts & your RFAs have that cup-Winner mark-up when you sell them off for parts before needing to pay them...

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Building a decade long contender is harder when your paying your top line 30M a year unless you’ve won enough cups to get guys to work with you on contracts & your RFAs have that cup-Winner mark-up when you sell them off for parts before needing to pay them...
The Avs are in an unique situation where they have a good promising young team and are still going to draft very high this year. Honestly, we should be one of the best teams in the league in the not too distant future and be able to keep that up for many seasons.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ehhhh give me Drake Caggiula over Brandon Manning any day of the week.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Avs are in an unique situation where they have a good promising young team and are still going to draft very high this year. Honestly, we should be one of the best teams in the league in the not too distant future and be able to keep that up for many seasons.

We have 4 seasons after this one until the cap cull that’s coming when the top line gets 30M. :dunno:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There isn't much fleece potential with Oilers, simply because the two great pieces (McDavid and Draisaitl) aren't getting traded and the 3-4 good pieces (RNH, Klefbom, Larsson) he'll probably fetch fair value for.

I might do RNH for Barrie though, but I wonder if Chiarelli dares to deplete that forward group any more.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There isn't much fleece potential with Oilers, simply because the two great pieces (McDavid and Draisaitl) aren't getting traded and the 3-4 good pieces (RNH, Klefbom, Larsson) he'll probably fetch fair value for.

I might do RNH for Barrie though, but I wonder if Chiarelli dares to deplete that forward group any more.

It would need to be a deal like Jost + Barrie for RNH + a prospect or another useful roster player. You'd have to provide something close on offense as a swap in order to make it work. They really are devoid of ammo, and are looking for the same type of trade we are where they don't lose and important roster piece.

That GM has put them in a rough spot. Well so has missing on some really f***ing high draft picks too.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The only way to fleece the Oilers at the moment would be with their 1st round pick. Chia trying to save his job will prefer actual players that can help now than his picks.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I didnt give up on him yet , but after watching my fair share of Avs games i have to say that i was expecting a bit more from him.
Granted that the player is still VERY young and you never know how and when a player will develop to his full potential, still i have my doubts , even if he showed some flashes here and there.
If frenchy has given up on him he should be worth Bosack and a second.

Reactions: Frenchy

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
FWIW I like Guhle a lot. He’s on his way to being what we had hoped Bigras would be before his concussions. And Scandella’s pretty comparable to Cole when we’re not over-playing him.

We just don’t need Scandella because of Cole and Guhle isn’t worth Jost & Soda.

I’d do Soda, Jost, Timmins, our 1st & a conditional pick for Mitt & Guhle.
WHAT.

Jost and Mittelfat are the exact same age and have the exact same amount of points but Jost did it in fewer games. I know Casey had a good world junior but he’s been every bit as disappointing as Jost has been this year.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
WHAT.

Jost and Mittelfat are the exact same age and have the exact same amount of points but Jost did it in fewer games. I know Casey had a good world junior but he’s been every bit as disappointing as Jost has been this year.

I agree that Jost has disappointed, maybe a stint with the AHL team could regain his confidence.

Mittlestadt is an interesting comparison. He has the same stats and plays in the easiest division in the league.

Too soon to give up on Jost, but would be open to a package trade.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree that Jost has disappointed, maybe a stint with the AHL team could regain his confidence.

Mittlestadt is an interesting comparison. He has the same stats and plays in the easiest division in the league.

Too soon to give up on Jost, but would be open to a package trade.
I’d have no trouble trading Jost either. But Jost + Timmins + Soderberg + 1st + a conditional pick is a laughable proposal for Mittelstadt who has done nothing to prove to be worth more than Jost and Guhle.

It’s probably one of the worst proposals ever lol.

Jost and Mittelstadt basically cancel each other out. Which means it’s Timmins+Soda+1st+Conditional Pick for Guhle who is a 21 year old defenseman in the AHL.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Would you guys be interested in a deal around Puljujarvi and Jost?

If there's anywhere I think Pulju will break out it's in Colorado. He plays a similar game to Rantanen and could learn a lot from him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

If there's anywhere I think Pulju will break out it's in Colorado. He plays a similar game to Rantanen and could learn a lot from him.
I don’t think we’d have any interest. I certainly wouldn’t personally.

Now Barrie/EJ + Jost + a first for Draisaitl is something I can get behind ;)

Reactions: Foppberg

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I believe Jost has slightly more value than Pulj, but maybe part of a larger deal?

Jost
Kerfoot
Barrie

For

Pulj
RNH
Nurse
Sekera (cap Dump)

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

I'd like to see him here, but I see it more likely that he'd end up like Yakupov, so I wouldn't want to pay more than a 2nd rounder for taking that risk. Jost I think is considerably more likely to get it together.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Not really. Rantanen’s best asset IMO is his mind for the game. He’s excellent at finding the open guy, finding space for himself, and leveraging his physical abilities. He’s just a really smart hockey player — and first and foremost he’s just a very talented playmaker, not a bull-in-the-china shop. And that’s probably Puljujarvi’s biggest weakness. The Puljujarvi I’ve seen so far reminds me of a less aggressive Jake Virtanen.

Don’t think Puljujarvi is a fit here. The Avs have no centre to really help him out. Rather the Avs just keep their asset and either hope Jost figures things out, or use him towards addressing bigger needs (centre). I think Puljujarvi would bust out here in Colorado. He doesn’t have the speed and aggression to play Bednar’s grinder bottom six role, and there’s no spare offensive talent to babysit him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad