Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Friedman and Dreger are both reliable insiders who get exclusive scoops..but they like to speculate and express their opinion for the show.

McKenzie and especially LeBrun are more down to Earth. LeBrun is like **** entertainment, I'm here strictly for the facts.

Personally I like both styles. Friedman's podcast is awesome and miles better than McKenzie's.

Yup. When I want reliability, nobody better than Bobby or LeBrun.

When I want some thought fodder, I go for Friedman. He's very reliable, but he does love to speculate. Which is something he's mentioned before, how in the old days on radio he could speculate all day with no repercussions. Now with the way sports fans are now, we're always itching for some juicy rumour and will take whatever we get and run with it.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm in the same boat. If Hayes was strictly just an offensive player I'd be hesitant to target him. But he has developed very well defensively as well, and while he's not Lindros out there he does have size and strength that few players on our roster can bring. The comparables to Colborne are bad.

Apart from saying that both guys have size and are UFAs at 26 playing their best hockey in a contract year, how else have I compared them?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
It's the exact opposite. Teams up in tight against the cap need their most Cap efficient contracts the most. He is one of the last players they would move. Marleau, Zaitsev and Kappanen are who they can't afford.

They are choosing to go very offensive heavy, so the casualties will be Gardiner (who is one of the more replaceable players given what they have) and Kap due to numbers.

In a cap world teams will always have weaknesses, you just have to choose what they will be.

Even if they let Gardiner and Hainsey go (likely) and trade Kapanen (for a pick?) they are still going to be close to 76 M assuming Matthews and Marner sign long term deals.

I'm not saying Kadri will be traded for sure, but unless they bridge one of Matthews or Marner things are gonna be real tight for them starting next season.

Dubas will have a very entertening summer.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Zero players in the last 6 offseasons have signed an offersheet. 3 since the 2009 offseason. Fair to say there is next to zero threat of an actual offer sheet. They don't happen when they make total sense... let alone giving up a huge amount of futures.

Reactions: MacBradley

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
No he's not--we've just had a lengthy discussion about how seldom offer sheets happen. He doesn't need to worry about it unless he fails to secure a long-term deal for those players and even then, it's far, far from a guarantee it'll happen.
The part I'm talking about is he says the teams salary cap is set up to handle the offer sheets . I guess the Leafs could just buy out Zaitsev , money is no issue for them . He's gonna be in a tight spot trying to sign Marner and Matthews . Arizona could very well offer sheet Matthews

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The part I'm talking about is he says the teams salary cap is set up to handle the offer sheets . I guess the Leafs could just buy out Zaitsev , money is no issue for them . He's gonna be in a tight spot trying to sign Marner and Matthews . Arizona could very well offer sheet Matthews

And they can go 10% over the cap in the summer to buy them time. There isn't an offersheet that they wouldn't match. Matthews is a top 5 centerman... they'd match a max contract the second it got signed.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
And they can go 10% over the cap in the summer to buy them time. There isn't an offersheet that they wouldn't match. Matthews is a top 5 centerman... they'd match a max contract the second it got signed.
Oh I am sure they would match it and do whatever to make room after but they will have a lot of $ tied up in 4 players .

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Offer sheets don't happen because they go against the collective benefit of general managers. You're taking away the GM's leverage and give more negocitating power to the RFA. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Offer sheets don't happen because they go against the collective benefit of general managers. You're taking away the GM's leverage and give more negocitating power to the RFA. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
Nicely put

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I am sure they would match it and do whatever to make room after but they will have a lot of $ tied up in 4 players .
Doesn't matter... you don't lose franchise players. So if Arizona isn't going to get Matthews no matter what, they are just raising the RFA costs for themselves in the long-run... which they can't afford... so doesn't make sense.

IMO offer sheets in that under $4m compensation make a ton of sense, but nobody wants to be 'that guy.'

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Even if they let Gardiner and Hainsey go (likely) and trade Kapanen (for a pick?) they are still going to be close to 76 M assuming Matthews and Marner sign long term deals.

I'm not saying Kadri will be traded for sure, but unless they bridge one of Matthews or Marner things are gonna be real tight for them starting next season.

Dubas will have a very entertening summer.

I'm not saying that it wont be very difficult for them ( a situation the Avs should REALLY be paying attention to as they are headed there as well) but that out of ALL of the options Kadri is the one that makes about the least amount of sense as he has possibly THE most cost efficient deal. He is a 2c, playing as their 3c BUT he is getting paid LESS than the average 3c. They'd never move him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Pretty much, plus they are designed to never be worth it, as it would cost less assets in a trade than it ever would to overpay a player enough for a team to say no. So you end up paying more for a more expensive player. Its a losing situation on all sides.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not saying that it wont be very difficult for them ( a situation the Avs should REALLY be paying attention to as they are headed there as well) but that out of ALL of the options Kadri is the one that makes about the least amount of sense as he has possibly THE most cost efficient deal. He is a 2c, playing as their 3c BUT he is getting paid LESS than the average 3c. They'd never move him.

Yup... only reason to move Kadri is if he asked out. Which I wouldn't put out of the realm of possibility, but the only reason.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yup... only reason to move Kadri is if he asked out. Which I wouldn't put out of the realm of possibility, but the only reason.

As Avs fans I think the most important thing we can take away from Tor's situation is that their 2 BIGGEST problems are Marleau and Zaitsev(to a lesser degree). UFA is the biggest way teams consistently shoot themselves in the foot and every year and never seem to learn. Especially for young up and coming teams its extra deadly. When Tor signed PM there was some solid reasoning too it but now because of that, the deal is massively hurting them. Look at last UFA, all the teams that "won" like STL, JVR in Phi, Neal in Cgy, Stastny in LVK. Look at the impact they are actually having. A year ago we would have made predictions with Rants at 7 and now he could easily be in double digits. Point being when you have talented young teams you need to be very very careful in UFA, which the Avs have been great at the past few years. So going into UFA if there is a player you think the Avs should throw money at you need to ask yourself if you are OK losing a young up and coming player by signing this guy for the now.

Zaitsev is less of an issue for the Avs but its more like don't over pay players. In this case it would be like don't give Barrie 9m AAV

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

As others have said better than I, I really don't think that's a concern. They'd figure it out. They're not losing those two players and it'd take a beyond-ridiculous offer for them to even consider not matching it. And I promise you, no one is going to do that, certainly not Arizona, who technically aren't even at the salary floor and whose latest owner wants out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Offer sheets don’t happen because it’s not worth it. It’s that simple.

You have to overpay so much that the former team decides it is finally worth it to not keep said player. In what world is that a recipe for success?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That and they aren't effective for talent acquisition and are more of a market force.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Avs have had scouts at the last few Pens games, but I really don't see a fit for any transaction.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Avs have had scouts at the last few Pens games, but I really don't see a fit for any transaction.

Well let's see :

- it's not goaltending
- it's probably not a d-man
- it can't be a bottom-6 forward - we have so many already (unless we're flipping Colin Wilson for Riley Sheahan or something like that)

Does it rhyme with Jill Messel?

I could see the pengooins being interested in a guy like Kerfoot...that's one team that would probably make it work like a charm.

Reactions: Murzu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad