Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
God they better not be. Brassard has been horrid for the Pens.

I wish the Jets were looking to dump Perreault. I think eventually they'll have to for cap reasons but I'm guessing they won't until the offseason and they sure as hell won't want to trade him to a division rival.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Why? Brassard sucks.
I think he'd do alright on the Avs.

Avs probably just doing their due diligence. If the Avs are scouting Brassard and are interested in Hayes then it sounds like they are looking for a middle 6 center. Rangers probably want futures, Pens would likely want roster player.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The Avs will be headed there when MacKinnon is up for a new contract. That is 4 years away. We have 30 million in cap room this offseason. With minimal bad contracts

Avs have multiple young high end core players not on their long term deals. Nates next contract will be sizeable but it will be many more players other than him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I wouldn’t be surprised if Colorado is looking at long time heart throb Derick Brassard.

If you're talking about offering him a 2mx2 contract in the offseason then maybe but otherwise he has been terrible. I don't see many teams being interested.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don't want anything to do with Brassard. He'd just contribute to the problem of the middle six being pushed around, the lack of aggression, and the lack of high end talent. Wouldn't give anything of any note from the roster for him.

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I was surprised that $30m+ number was correct. However, the Avs have many RFA's to deal with: Rantanen, Compher, Kerfoot, Zadorov, Andrighetto, and Kamenev. The only UFA of significance is Varly.

You kinda want to look at the core players that will be coming up over 3 year windows to do it properly, as year by year doesn't work well. With that said my guesses are:

Rants: 10.5
JT: 3.75
Kerf: 4.75
Zads: 3.75
Sven: 2.5
Kam: 1.25

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think he'd do alright on the Avs.

Avs probably just doing their due diligence. If the Avs are scouting Brassard and are interested in Hayes then it sounds like they are looking for a middle 6 center. Rangers probably want futures, Pens would likely want roster player.

Brassard is a former Blue Jacket too.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You kinda want to look at the core players that will be coming up over 3 year windows to do it properly, as year by year doesn't work well. With that said my guesses are:

Alexander Kerfoot asking for 4.75M is more than enough justification to either trade him or let him walk. He's not that kind of player.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Those seem closer to worst case scenarios. Or if they all deserve those contracts the Avs are playing in the second round at least. Maybe the best case?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Us scouting the Pens now 3 games in a row is actually very interesting, because we've already played them twice this season. So it makes little sense to be following them unless it's to get an extended look at specific players for a potential deal.

Kessel would be amazing. They'd likely want a Defender as part of the deal and I could certainly see Zadorov being the one they would want. Kerfoot would make sense for them as well. Pair him with Malkin or Crosby and that's a legit 60 point winger in Kerfoot.

Does Zadorov + Kerfoot + our 1st get us Kessel I wonder.

I could also see it being a much less interesting Brassard as the trade target. He could be a good buy low candidate for us as an experimental 2C. If he turns things around with us awesome, if not it should cost minimal assets to get him and then we let him walk this summer and explore free agency targeting a Center like Hayes instead or go big game hunting for a Stone/Panarin type.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I hear this EJ guy is on the up and up.

I bet Torts disciple Sullivan is salivating at the thought of reuniting the Team USA Johnson and Johnson pairing. And getting rid of Phil in the process? His dream come true.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm going to guess it's not Kessel because that doesn't seem like a Sakic move. He's 31 years old with a high cap hit and three more years still left on the deal. He'll also probably get along with Bednar as well as he does with Sullivan.

Brassard on the other hand could be more of what they're after. If we believe Friedman, the Avs apparently want a center. Things haven't gone well for him with the Pens but he was a very good player prior to that. You can never rule out the CBJ connection either with MacFarland being in the front office that drafted him. He's also 31 years old but there's no commitment past this season and he should be cheaper to acquire.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Those seem closer to worst case scenarios. Or if they all deserve those contracts the Avs are playing in the second round at least. Maybe the best case?

Imo that is the middle ground, any of them sans maybe Kam could easily get more than that.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Alexander Kerfoot asking for 4.75M is more than enough justification to either trade him or let him walk. He's not that kind of player.

If he gets around 50 points in back to back years then over 4m is the going rate pretty easily and likely would be close to 5. You could make the term short but the Avs don't have the depth scoring atm to let him walk. He is the best offensive player on the roster outside of the top line

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Maybe they want Varlamov and Zadorov......

Pens can want a lot of things but they are an old team with very little that would interest the Avs. I can't think of a single player on their roster that would be enticing for Colorado in any meaningful way.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don't see the Pens trading Brassard for B level futures (e.g. pieces like Greer, a 2nd, etc.). And I don't see the Avs giving up high end futures for him (or anyone, for that matter. He's a 31 year old pending UFA who picked a good time to have just 9 points in 24 games). And I don't see the Avs moving any decent roster players for Brassard, because the whole point is to add to weak depth. Certainly nobody like Soderberg would ever be available for Brassard given how vital he is to the team and how much Bednar uses him (and how utterly counterproductive that'd be for the Avs, especially since Soderberg is having a far better season), but that is the sort of piece the Pens need for their third line. I just don't see it unless the Pens want to dump Brassard for a couple of B futures.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Us scouting the Pens now 3 games in a row is actually very interesting, because we've already played them twice this season. So it makes little sense to be following them unless it's to get an extended look at specific players for a potential deal.

Kessel would be amazing. They'd likely want a Defender as part of the deal and I could certainly see Zadorov being the one they would want. Kerfoot would make sense for them as well. Pair him with Malkin or Crosby and that's a legit 60 point winger in Kerfoot.

Does Zadorov + Kerfoot + our 1st get us Kessel I wonder.

I could also see it being a much less interesting Brassard as the trade target. He could be a good buy low candidate for us as an experimental 2C. If he turns things around with us awesome, if not it should cost minimal assets to get him and then we let him walk this summer and explore free agency targeting a Center like Hayes instead or go big game hunting for a Stone/Panarin type.

Its not really THAT interesting imo. At this point of the year you have scouts and you need them to be doing something. A lot of times its just a convince with the schedule kind of thing. Only time I think scouts are noteworthy is heavy trends around TDL or big names. People read too much into it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Compher's scoring at a .6ppg pace while playing second line minutes. I don't expect his minutes or production to drop. He's arbitration eligible. I think he break $3m easily. Probably ends up around $3.5m. Zadorov's arbitration eligible too. Ceci is of similar age and experience, although be plays more minutes but even he got a 1 year deal at $4.3m. I think Zadorov also break $3m even on a short term deal. Kerfoot I agree with you, although I'm not so sure he'll be traded.

My guesses:
9.85-10.5M long-term deal for Mikko (hopefully 8 years but at least 6)
3.85-4.25M on a 5+ year deal for Zads
~3.45M on a 2-year bridge for Jimmothy
~2.25M on a 2-year bridge for Francouz (assuming Varly's groin gets him an NHL look this season)
~1.45M bridge for Kamenev (1 or 2 years)
1-year prove-it deal for Greer that can be almost entirely buried (1.05-1.25M)

Wilson, Ghetto, Kerfoot & Varlamov aren't brought back. Dunno about Nemo (or Gork), but I could see Barbie getting shipped out (alongside Nieto) with Nemo & Gork taking their spots as the extra blueliner & forward respectively.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My guesses:
9.85-10.5M long-term deal for Mikko (hopefully 8 years but at least 6)
3.85-4.25M on a 5+ year deal for Zads
~3.45M on a 2-year bridge for Jimmothy
~2.25M on a 2-year bridge for Francouz (assuming Varly's groin gets him an NHL look this season)
~1.45M bridge for Kamenev (1 or 2 years)
1-year prove-it deal for Greer that can be almost entirely buried (1.05-1.25M)

Wilson, Ghetto, Kerfoot & Varlamov aren't brought back. Dunno about Nemo (or Gork), but I could see Barbie getting shipped out (alongside Nieto) with Nemo & Gork taking their spots as the extra blueliner & forward respectively.

I think you'll end up pretty close on these. Compher's a little hard to gauge. He's on pace for 29 goals but he's a little streaky so he could slow down at some point. Zadorov I think will make more than some are hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad