Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XVI| Why No Trades!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris P Hundo

Jun 14, 2017
Why would Stone sign an offersheet tho, (as far as I know) it has to be flat salary no signing bonuses, no front loading and no NTC/NMC. He could just wait a year and get the contract he wants.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think he made out like a bandit at all. He took the offer that was reportedly on the table at the beginning, with maybe a little bit of concession in term. Some put Dubas on blast for not pulling the offer and doing a take-it-or-sit cheapo bridge deal but it's not Dubas's job to teach a kid a lesson, it's his job to ice a competitive hockey team and fit everyone under the cap. In that sense, both sides won, but I think Nylander basically sat out a quarter of the season for relatively minor concessions.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not a fan of Hayes , we already have Soda who us a better hockey player

They are similar and Hayes is 7 years younger. You think it would hurt this team to have another Soda who's 7 years younger?

Looking at our first round picks in the last decade who weren't drafted in top 10, give me Hayes any day for any of them.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Not a fan of Hayes , we already have Soda who us a better hockey player

My personal stance on the matter is that I would not give up any assets for him and should the Avs want to pursue him I'd offer him 4.75 x 3 in UFA. The Avs have cap space to work with but need to be very very careful with term.

I do get the benefits of adding a player like that and the Avs pro scouts have a good track record. There is sense there but I just don't think it is that necessary of a move where I'd go too crazy with it.

Reactions: Patagonia

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
They are similar and Hayes is 7 years younger. You think it would hurt this team to have another Soda who's 7 years younger?

Looking at our first round picks in the last decade who weren't drafted in top 10, give me Hayes any day for any of them.
Well depends on the assets given up to get him .Wouldn't want Hayes for 7 years no, the dude isn't that good. No need for the Avs to be desperate,

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I would be stunned if the Leafs ever got rid of Kadri. He's the perfect 2/3C on a team that has an injury-prone top pivot, not to mention he's effective on the power play, logs tough defensive minutes and is one of the few "sandpaper" guys on a team that more and more pundits are saying doesn't have nearly enough grit.

The Leafs will be hard against the cap after they re-sign Matthews and Marner and there is still Kapanen to re-sign. Gardiner is a UFA probably looking for a raise and they need to find a long term partner for Morgan Reilly. Kadri is a luxury that i don't think they can afford.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I think bringing in Hayes would be a better move than all of those mentioned. Hayes is a 2C pretty easily, not a high end one, but someone who’s good defensively and good for ~45 pts and something that is desperately needed. Then we can have him ease in a young C if needed and would be the de facto soda replacement so it makes a lot of sense. He 1)adds scoring depth 2) gives us a decent option for 2 way play 3) isn’t too old for the core 4) gives us flexibility going forward.

Now this all depends on the price he comes at in a trade or as a UFA.

If we look at next year, assuming no trades and that Kaut is the only addition from the minors:

92/29/96
13/37/17
83/34/62
10/91/11

I could see adding a player onto that roster in some form for when injuries happen but as is that is a pretty solid group. Now once you start having Bowers and a possible top 10 pick onto that line up it gets cluttered, and sooner rather than later you get a pretty decent log jam.

Now outside of the top line, when you look at players who would cause the biggest issue should they get hurt, Carl is at the top of that list, so adding on a player who could play those minutes could be worthwhile.

Hayes is a 2c on an average to below average team but not on a good one, he isn't high end enough for that. Hes a solid middle 6 player you bring in for depth, but would never really be a core guy or someone that is a difference maker, like many of the other potential UFAs. Which is really why I'd be totally down for him but I wouldn't give up anything valuable or give him a contract that could cause issues.

He is kinda like the Ian Cole of Forwards

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
If we look at next year, assuming no trades and that Kaut is the only addition from the minors:

92/29/96
13/37/17
83/34/62
10/91/11

I could see adding a player onto that roster in some form for when injuries happen but as is that is a pretty solid group. Now once you start having Bowers and a possible top 10 pick onto that line up it gets cluttered, and sooner rather than later you get a pretty decent log jam.

Now outside of the top line, when you look at players who would cause the biggest issue should they get hurt, Carl is at the top of that list, so adding on a player who could play those minutes could be worthwhile.

Hayes is a 2c on an average to below average team but not on a good one, he isn't high end enough for that. Hes a solid middle 6 player you bring in for depth, but would never really be a core guy or someone that is a difference maker, like many of the other potential UFAs. Which is really why I'd be totally down for him but I wouldn't give up anything valuable or give him a contract that could cause issues.

Wilson , Gork and Sven will all be gone , Greer and Kaut in . Kamenev whatever

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Leafs will be hard against the cap after they re-sign Matthews and Marner and there is still Kapanen to re-sign. Gardiner is a UFA probably looking for a raise and they need to find a long term partner for Morgan Reilly. Kadri is a luxury that i don't think they can afford.

Well, Dubas has some options. He can deal Nylander for something substantial (and I don't put much of any faith in that verbal promise he gave Willie), he can deal away Kadri, or he can somehow find a way to dump Nikita Zaitsev's horrid contract, which I'm guessing would be his preferred path going forward.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

92/29/96
13/37/17
83/34/62
10/91/11

I think the most enticing part of Hayes would be that he’d be a fantastic 3C for us. Soda probably is gone after his contract which means Compher would most likely replace him or someone else. Bowers could be that guy, but will be ready to anchor a 3rd line on a *hopefully* cup contending team at that point? Who knows. Plus Hayes can ease a younger player in so they don’t have to go through what Jost did and be put into a role they aren’t ready for yet. Like I said it all depends on what the cost would be. I’m not clamoring for Hayes but it makes sense why Sakic would be looking at him.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I think the most enticing part of Hayes would be that he’d be a fantastic 3C for us. Soda probably is gone after his contract which means Compher would most likely replace him or someone else. Bowers could be that guy, but will be ready to anchor a 3rd line on a *hopefully* cup contending team at that point? Who knows. Plus Hayes can ease a younger player in so they don’t have to go through what Jost did and be put into a role they aren’t ready for yet. Like I said it all depends on what the cost would be. I’m not clamoring for Hayes but it makes sense why Sakic would be looking at him.

Who says Sakic is looking at Hayes though ?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hayes is better than Soda on both sides of the puck... It isn't extreme, but he is better. A better goal scorer, a better ES producer, better defensively, better on faceoffs. Hayes isn't an extreme jump up, but he is basically a legit #2C version of Soda that is 7 years younger.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh ok missed that , I thought it was just talk who we could go after , Lebrun is credible, Friedman just speculates

Friedman is still reliable. But he also speculates unlike Bob and Lebrun. Just gotta know when he’s speculating vs actually reporting news.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Hayes is better than Soda on both sides of the puck... It isn't extreme, but he is better. A better goal scorer, a better ES producer, better defensively, better on faceoffs. Hayes isn't an extreme jump up, but he is basically a legit #2C version of Soda that is 7 years younger.

Hayes has two eyes as well, which is also a plus

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman and Dreger are both reliable insiders who get exclusive scoops..but they like to speculate and express their opinion for the show.

McKenzie and especially LeBrun are more down to Earth. LeBrun is like f*** entertainment, I'm here strictly for the facts.

Personally I like both styles. Friedman's podcast is awesome and miles better than McKenzie's.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Friedman and Dreger are both reliable insiders who get exclusive scoops..but they like to speculate and express their opinion for the show.

McKenzie and especially LeBrun are more down to Earth. LeBrun is like **** entertainment, I'm here strictly for the facts.

Personally I like both styles. Friedman's podcast is awesome and miles better than McKenzie's.

Yup. Basically this. Like I said Friedman speculates a lot more than some of the other guys, but it’s pretty easy to tell when he’s reporting legit information.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Soda's contract will be up the year after next, and at least currently I wouldn't say whether or he will stay or go. Currently in the System for 3c's we have JT, Bowers, Jost and Kam who could fill that role in the next 3 years onward, not including any other players brought in through other means. There are a lot of options there and if they choose to get lets say a top 6 winger that would also shift the players we have more towards that role.

I do think it is smart to get someone to add depth incase a guy goes down if you think you are contending but picks, prospects and contract term are 3 very big areas to keep in mind in things like this. Hayes is nice but he is a depth guy and not a core piece like others could be.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Imo Soda is far better defensively, especially as of late Hayes has gotten lazy but Hayes is better offensively and is a solid 2nd liner on an average team.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

It's the exact opposite. Teams up in tight against the cap need their most Cap efficient contracts the most. He is one of the last players they would move. Marleau, Zaitsev and Kappanen are who they can't afford.

They are choosing to go very offensive heavy, so the casualties will be Gardiner (who is one of the more replaceable players given what they have) and Kap due to numbers.

In a cap world teams will always have weaknesses, you just have to choose what they will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad