Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Uh oh for everyone else with rfas if long term is around 8 years he isn't gonna be a fun comparable .

That's gonna be an 11 aav
Im thinking its gonna be something like 8 years 75 or 80 mill

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I thinking its gonna be something like 8 years 75 or 80 mill
Would be a wicked signing by sakic if he gets him for ten or under for eight years . I think it'll be a bit higher but who knows.

They have the cap to burn atm so a bit higher atm would be fine for the aves with the cap most likely going up every year other than maybe the lockout year if there is one

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Would be a wicked signing by sakic if he gets him for ten or under for eight years . I think it'll be a bit higher but who knows.

They have the cap to burn atm so a bit higher atm would be fine for the aves with the cap most likely going up every year other than maybe the lockout year if there is one
Yeah if its 8 years anything under 80 mill that would be awesome. Avs have always done a nice job resigning their own players to I guess you can call it a discounted price. You're right though, it probably wont be under 80, I'm hoping it's just 8 yrs at 80

Last edited:

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
If its 8 years, its gonna be like 90 Mil

If its 5 years, its is gonna be 50 Mil

Reactions: cgf

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
In an interview Sakic said he recently has contacted Rantanen and both sides are agreeing that long term is the way to go, now they're just working on the number. It should be done by training camp I'd assume
Source? I just linked a source from nhl.com saying he hasn’t talked to him sincethe draft.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The initial thoughts briefly after reading the OP was if the Avs had somehow tried to low-ball Rantanen causing a disconnect between him & his agent and the Avs. Then I reminisced all the RFAs out there (can't remember other year with so many future superstars of whom just come off from the ELC) and figured it wouldn't make sense for Mikko to be the first one to sign, especially with two over 82 point seasons under his belt. Furthermore (aside from maybe Aho who has already signed up) he is the safest bet out there as some other fans here have noted as well.

It certainly seems like an interesting situation especially with Mackinnon signed up long term with such a low cap hit. Rantanen is abound to make more income as soon as next season begins and I hope that doesn't cause any internal rifts. Another thing worthy of waiting is whether Mikko is willing to take a discount in order to help his team get better in the long run. Couldn't really but respect the heck of him should he sign for something like 8-9m AAV for lets say for the next 6 years or so.

With that said, seeing what have become of Mackinnon and Barkov, then looking and comparing their contracts to a couple of years later born players like Eichel or Matthews who are commanding almost twice the pay immediately after the expiry of the ELC it seems almost ridiculous. Since after all I think they all belong in the same bracket as far as the caliper goes. Both the Avs and the Panthers got really lucky there for getting to sign up some of the finest players as far as the "next" generation players are concerned early on.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Source? I just linked a source from nhl.com saying he hasn’t talked to him sincethe draft.
This is part of the article...

Despite reports last week that the two sides have not spoken, Sakic confirmed this morning that he had spoken with Mikko a few times this summer and that the two see eye to eye on a very important part of the negotiations. Sakic mentioned that both sides agree that a long-term deal is the best course of action. With talk that the Toronto Maple Leafs and Tampa Bay Lightningare ok with signing their own star RFAs to bridge deals, it’s great news to hear Sakic’s insistence that the Avalanche and Rantanen are not looking at that option.

They haven't spoke since the draft though, that's true, but its encouraging that Sakic has spoken to Rantanen and they're on the same page as far as term of contract, now they just have to work on the number

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It hasn't been done because Sakic and Rantanen agreed that they would work on it closer to training camp. It's likely Mikko wants to enjoy his summer in Finland before getting down to the business negotiating.
You do realize that lots of players around the league every year manage to sign contracts during the summer before training camp. There is literally not a single reason why you'd want to wait until training camp to sign the deal EXCEPT that it puts more pressure on the other side.

I also hope you realize that Mikko Rantanen won't be sitting at the negotiating table, drawing up contracts, creating spreadsheets and working on the deal himself. Like most players in the league he can enjoy his summer in Finland and have his agent do a deal.

The real reason why it hasn't been done is far more obvious: Because the 2 sides don't agree. Same as all the RFA's remaining to be signed.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You do realize that lots of players around the league every year manage to sign contracts during the summer before training camp. There is literally not a single reason why you'd want to wait until training camp to sign the deal EXCEPT that it puts more pressure on the other side.

I also hope you realize that Mikko Rantanen won't be sitting at the negotiating table, drawing up contracts, creating spreadsheets and working on the deal himself. Like most players in the league he can enjoy his summer in Finland and have his agent do a deal.

The real reason why it hasn't been done is far more obvious: Because the 2 sides don't agree. Same as all the RFA's remaining to be signed.
Avalanche GM Joe Sakic on unsigned Mikko Rantanen: “We want him here for training camp.” – The Denver Post
Rantanen 'not stressful' about lack of contract with Avalanche
"Nothing's wrong; there's still one month until [training] camp starts," the 22-year-old restricted free agent forward said Friday at the Finnish Alumni All-Star Game in Lahti, Finland. "I know what's happening, but I'm not stressful. There are a lot of players who are in the same situation.
"[It's] nice that I'm trusted and the club wants to make a [long-term] deal. Let's see what happens … The situation hasn't bothered me."

That's condescending af haha but yes of course. Neither Sakic or Rantanen seem worried in the slightest and they each probably have a good idea where things will end up. I imagine that when Rantanen flies back to Denver they will meet face to face and hash things out. Sakic is one of the most patient GM's in the league and extremely comfortable waiting for things to develop.

He's not sitting around a negotiating a contract, Mike Liut his agent is but Rantanen would be involved soo it will be on his mind. I don't see how wanting to wait the summer and enjoy it without worrying about contracts isn't a fair reason to put off negotiations. If you have a good idea and you are close than they can hammer out the nitty gritty details when they meet in person. Why would you want contract negotiations on your mind for possible weeks when you should be enjoying the only downtime you'll really get until next summer...

As for both sides not agreeing you have no clue about that. They may be close enough that they are comfortable that they are close enough and not stressing or they are waiting for another contract to be signed so that they would have comparables.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah the deal is all done and all set they just don't want to finalize it because they want to enjoy the summer.

Of course..... if this was true they could have just signed it in June and had the whole summer off too. Occam's Razor my man. There isn't a contract because they don't have an agreement. I never said there'd be a hold out or it would linger to the regular season, but man one must be naive to think that both parties are just like "Eh...no need to get a contract done now, time to hit the beach."

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not everyone can give Matthews $11.6m x 5 and Nylander $7m x 5. Some of us want to have some good contracts on our team.
We did that and have good contracts on our team. Besides, the Avs or Rantanen don't need any hand holding by the Leafs. The can come to an agreement on their own. The Leafs are irrelevant to them in anything other than a trade.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yeah the deal is all done and all set they just don't want to finalize it because they want to enjoy the summer.

Of course..... if this was true they could have just signed it in June and had the whole summer off too. Occam's Razor my man. There isn't a contract because they don't have an agreement. I never said there'd be a hold out or it would linger to the regular season, but man one must be naive to think that both parties are just like "Eh...no need to get a contract done now, time to hit the beach."
That's what I said....
Read it closer. What I'm saying is their is a chance they are close enough initially that they feel comfortable hashing the final details closer to camp. You want to use Occam's razor well both sides have stated that they haven't had in depth talks and that they will figure out something long term seeing how there is lots of summer until camp. I'm not being naive and you're clearly not comprehending.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
We did that and have good contracts on our team. Besides, the Avs or Rantanen don't need any hand holding by the Leafs. The can come to an agreement on their own. The Leafs are irrelevant to them in anything other than a trade.
That's not a 100% true. Contracts league wide are used as comparables and set contract trends.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It was actually 6.96 ×6 in Nylanders case but don't let accuracy get in the way of your agenda

I notice that you didn't point out that he also rounded Matthews' contract down by nearly the same amount...

... But don't let that get in the way of your attempts to deflect from the point that Dubas f***ed up twice.

Reactions: Realgud and Foxtail

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Those aren't good contracts

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It's not just a river in Egypt, folks.
Totally I am sick of all the nonsense sure surrounding the contracts. There good. Stop denying it as WingsMHN says. Besides, posters can whine about Leaf contracts on Leaf threads. Rantanen and the Avs could care less about Leaf contracts. They will get their own done.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Totally I am sick of all the nonsense sure surrounding the contracts. There good. Stop denying it as WingsMHN says. Besides, posters can whine about Leaf contracts on Leaf threads. Rantanen and the Avs could care less about Leaf contracts. They will get their own done.

Some of us try not to live in the world of make believe where, after a two month hold out where he should have little to no bargaining power, Nylander gets more than MacKinnon, Barkov, Larkin, and Ehlers.

And to save us the pain of steps two and three of this argument, yes, MacKinnon and Barkov's contracts still inflate to less money than Nylander's, and no, nobody gives a shit that Nylander had two 60 point seasons playing alongside Auston Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad