Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Those are comps Rants/the guys can and will use this summer so they matter.
I don't think they need it. Rantanen can stand on his own and will negotiate based on his accomplshments. He doesn't need Toronto.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't think they need it. Rantanen can stand on his own and will negotiate based on his accomplshments. He doesn't need Toronto.

It’s still going to be determined by the market and Toronto is a part of that market. It isn’t hand holding. It’s just how the job market works.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It’s still going to be determined by the market and Toronto is a part of that market. It isn’t hand holding. It’s just how the job market works.
I don't think the influence is that great. I will concede that there is some impact though. However, when a deal is made between Sakic and Rantanen ( his agent) it will be significantly because the two sides worked on getting a deal done rather than what if anything, we do.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't think the influence is that great. I will concede that there is some impact though. However, when a deal is made between Sakic and Rantanen ( his agent) it will be significantly because the two sides worked on getting a deal done rather than what if anything, we do.

My thoughts are that both sides (Rants-Marner) are sort of waiting on each other to see what's up. I think the issue, however minor or major it may be, will be how much their teams factor in those comparisons. Obviously, the Marner camp is holding out for Matthews money or at least close to it but if he gets to that point, it'll be interesting to see how much the Rants camp brings that comparison into play and how much Sleepy Joe concedes to that mark. My thoughts are that although these camps will use each other as comparables, the influence on their contracts will be decided upon how much the GM's concede.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don't think anyone is holding out because of Marner.

Every player, their agent and the GM's know exactly what number they want.

Marner is probably going to get overpaid. Not every GM is going to overpay for their players.

Let's see.
Personally I feel it’s the opposite.

I think every GM, player and agent, want the best deal. They don’t know what those numbers necessarily are because they haven’t see enough of the market to determine where they should fall.

I simply think all the players want to get their proper pay (relative to their peers) and every GM wants to get the cheapest deal of all the comps.

There’s a really big gap between Aho’s 5 year 8.5 and Matthews 5 year 11.6.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Personally I feel it’s the opposite.

I think every GM, player and agent, want the best deal. They don’t know what those numbers necessarily are because they haven’t see enough of the market to determine where they should fall.

I simply think all the players want to get their proper pay (relative to their peers) and every GM wants to get the cheapest deal of all the comps.

There’s a really big gap between Aho’s 5 year 8.5 and Matthews 5 year 11.6.

This is not your local McDonalds we're talking about. These are GM's that know their stuff. They know the numbers in and out.

The numbers depend on a lot of things. Toronto and Carolina are at very different stages financially.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Why say one of these may not be on here much longer without saying which one
He is an Av beat writer. I'll let you guess which one he is talking about, or why this was posted in this thread...

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Dubas crumbled and gave into Nylander forcing him to overpay. Next, Dubas wanted to avoid the same situation with Matthews so he simply overpaid him early.

Everyone in the world knows that Marner is going to take advantage of the exact same situation a use Matthews as his comparable hence why every other high profile RFA are waiting on Marner to set the market with his overpayment.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
There should be a separate league for RFA's going forward. They can take a few year hiatus and join us when they have UFA status.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
7 years seems to be the Avs comfy number based past long term contracts. Mackinnon, EJ, Girard and Landeskog all signed 7 year deals.

I’d bet he gets 7 years 70 million.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Dubas crumbled and gave into Nylander forcing him to overpay. Next, Dubas wanted to avoid the same situation with Matthews so he simply overpaid him early.

Everyone in the world knows that Marner is going to take advantage of the exact same situation a use Matthews as his comparable hence why every other high profile RFA are waiting on Marner to set the market with his overpayment.
*yawn

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
7 years seems to be the Avs comfy number based past long term contracts. Mackinnon, EJ, Girard and Landeskog all signed 7 year deals.

I’d bet he gets 7 years 70 million.

The term is what the RFA's don't want these days. They want term that takes them to UFA. They want to be UFA's at the youngest possible age, as they know teams aren't wanting to give older UFA's 8 year contracts anymore.

If these RFA's would sign 7-8 year contracts, they'd all be signed by now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The term is what the RFA's don't want these days. They want term that takes them to UFA. They want to be UFA's at the youngest possible age, as they know teams aren't wanting to give older UFA's 8 year contracts anymore.

If these RFA's would sign 7-8 year contracts, they'd all be signed by now.
What are you talking about? Both Rantanen and Sakic have said this summer that a long term contract is what both sides want.

Sure some guys might want less term but the main reason these guys haven’t signed is the incoming Mitch Marner overpayment that everyone in the hockey world predicted would happen after the Nylander/Matthews contracts were handed out.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

You should go over to the Marner thread. You'll learn something. EVERY Leafs player is getting paid exactly what they should be getting paid (or have taken less to play there). It's not even debatable. Marner's getting a 3 year, 8.534M per season bridge deal. On-ice metrics and player comparables have been studied by the best capologists the sport has ever seen.

:)

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I don't think anyone is holding out because of Marner.

Every player, their agent and the GM's know exactly what number they want.

Marner is probably going to get overpaid. Not every GM is going to overpay for their players.

Let's see.

I don't think Marner is the direct cause, but I think a lot of RFAs are watching his scenario closely.

I think the bigger issue is the new TV deal coming in. Almost all the rumors coming from RFAs indicate the players want 2-3 year deals so they can rake on a possibly significantly higher cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad