Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
But if he sits out the entire season he will make $0 from the NHL.

That’s why I don’t understand why GM’s give in. Like yeah I realize these guys make the team better but in a season long game of chicken you’ll eventually see the player give in unlike what Dubas did with Nylander last year.

Rantanen and Marner can threaten to play in Norway all they want but at the end of the day they aren’t going to hold out all year and make $0 or $300,000ish if they play overseas just so that they can get an extra couple of hundred grand a year when it results in them losing out on 9-10M in year one. It completely defeats the purpose of the holdout.

If these guys were serious about holding out they’d be threatening to sign KHL contracts where there’s real money involved. Skating with teams in Switzerland and Norway only makes GM’s happy that they’re staying in game shape. They aren’t scaring anyone.
Exactly, the teams have total control on an RFA . Certain GMs cave to try and save their job I guess but the team has total control. If you don't want to play here then sit and think about the money you're losing lol

Reactions: Hire Sather

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Sit out the whole season til they pay you what you want.

It theoretically could happen, but it is a lose-lose scenario for the organization and the player. The organization would lose his services for the season and permanently risk souring that relationship with the player, and the player has likely lost millions in salary that he will be unable to fully recoup over the course of his career.

Reactions: MacBradley

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
But if he sits out the entire season he will make $0 from the NHL.

That’s why I don’t understand why GM’s give in. Like yeah I realize these guys make the team better but in a season long game of chicken you’ll eventually see the player give in unlike what Dubas did with Nylander last year.

Rantanen and Marner can threaten to play in Norway all they want but at the end of the day they aren’t going to hold out all year and make $0 or $300,000ish if they play overseas just so that they can get an extra couple of hundred grand a year when it results in them losing out on 9-10M in year one. It completely defeats the purpose of the holdout.

If these guys were serious about holding out they’d be threatening to sign KHL contracts where there’s real money involved. Skating with teams in Switzerland and Norway only makes GM’s happy that they’re staying in game shape. They aren’t scaring anyone.
Could you stop already with that Norway and 300k narrative:laugh:
Noone has threated to play in Norway and noone of the RFA's is gonna play in Norway.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's a concern when he actually misses a training camp day. As of right now we have a lot of no noise, a player and team that both want a deal done and a cap structure that can afford to pay him his ask even if they totally botch the negotiations. The only reports of any discourse is from a reporter who just started his own paywall, and has been throwing out click bait all summer. On top of that Mikko has done multiple interviews where he's said he's not worried or stressed about the deal, Sakic the same.
It's a concern. You have an unsigned key player. This goes for every team with unsigned players. A "concern" doesn't mean that he won't sign or won't be there. But it's ludicrous to say that having him unsigned right now is absolutely no different from having him under contract right now. They've had a year to have given him a new contract. There isn't an agreement. That's a fact.

This salary structure you have is irrelevant if the GM doesn't want to give the player what he wants or if the player doesn't want to accept what th GM is offering. And please.. that's the bottom line. Of course the GM wants him signed. Probably the player wants to stay. But they aren't agreeing about the value of having that done. That's a concern. Not a panic, not a crisis, not a "the end is near".

I still like the Avs fan who said that Joe and Mikko don't have a contract because they both just wanted to enjoy summer. :laugh:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It is what it is. Several guys are still without contracts. I’d guess that maybe one of them isn’t signed by camp. I still like our odds.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

RangersNorway

Jul 31, 2014
Norway
I had a few words with him today. Said he wanted things to work out with Colorado. He is a very likeable guy. Polite, down to Earth and very dedicated. Has been GREAT with the kids and the people in Hamar this week. I really wish him the best. Not very often we have players of his caliber here, so i got some pucks Signed

Attachments

• 9AF4CA26-B117-435D-A8F7-7133ABE03783.jpeg
    9AF4CA26-B117-435D-A8F7-7133ABE03783.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that Mikko Rantanen is a very important player for the Colorado Avalanche. Probably there is no reason why they would no negotiate a negotiation, hopefully sooner than later!

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Could you stop already with that Norway and 300k narrative:laugh:
Noone has threated to play in Norway and noone of the RFA's is gonna play in Norway.
You seem to have insider sources. Are you 100% sure Rantanen is not going to play in Norway? This seems suspicious. I'd be ready to blame Canada.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Finnpress has article about Rantanen in Norway.

NHL-tähti Mikko Rantanen paljastaa, miksi hän harjoitteli Norjassa: ”Parhaimpia Euroopassa”

Rantanen's been with Storhamar for about week, leaves for home today, may return later if still not under contract.

Apparently in the "early summer" he was in contact with his old Turku coaches who work currently in Storhamar that he would like to come there if the negotiations go to late August.

Best thing about this thread is to learn there is a real place Storhamar.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You seem to have insider sources. Are you 100% sure Rantanen is not going to play in Norway? This seems suspicious. I'd be ready to blame Canada.

Look. You lot can doubt him if you want, but if you had been to the sauna with Bleedwell & his source just once, you'd know just how totally legit his definitely-not-made-up source really is.

Reactions: ASmileyFace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->