Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Sources close to the situation tell Colorado Hockey Now that, surprisingly, there has been no contact between Avalanche management and Rantanen’s agent, Mike Liut, since an informal talk at the NHL draft in Vancouver in late June. With Avalanche training camp about a month away, the clock is starting to tick louder on the situation between one of its best players and the team on a new contract.

Exclusive: What’s going on with the negotiations between Mikko Rantanen and the Avalanche? They haven’t started yet

That’s...odd

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Was curious until i saw the website / author, not exactly a reliable source. Joe Sakic signed about 7 guys in 7 days and your trying to tell me he has had no contact with his star RFA? Give me a break. Would have been more believable if he said talks have broken down, not that they haven't even happened.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Avs are pretty hush hush about things and even though Dater has broke a few things he isn't always in the loop. Ryan Clark has been much more informative this hockey season than any other Avs related media head. Anyways, I'm guessing they already know what the ask is and waiting to see how things play out with other RFAs. 0 reason to worry, he will get signed.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Dater isn't exactly Eklund or anything, but I have a hard time believing this is true, unless there is some sort of agreement between player, agent and GM that they'd reconvene at a specified date toward the end of summer. There's no way they've just... Not bothered.

Reactions: jiitu

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Dater is fine lol. Might not be one of the best but he is as reliable as an avs source is going to get due to our hush hush approach. Sakic also said he isn't worried about signing Mikko and they are going to let him enjoy his summer etc. If anything this is a positive to me as an avs fan.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Am I the only one who could honestly give two ****s about these rfa’s and what they want at this point?

Frankly, I can’t be sympathetic because gms only want to offer 7-8 million instead of 9-10 million. Don’t know why rfa’s should go straight to ufa and get a ****load aav as well.
yeah you can't be against players who want salaries to go up, since that was deal with the CBA, that salaries would go up with revenues. I would rather players get the cash than owners get even more. Plus there is escrow, so 9 million really isn't 9 million

Reactions: MacBradley

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
What is there to talk about? Rantanen is not willing to take what the Avs are offering. The Avs are not willing to give Rantanen what he's demanding. That's it until something changes the equation.

Things that can change the equation:
1. Offer sheet
2. Marner signs
3. Camp starts
4. The season begins and the Avs start well and don't need Rantanen as much as he needs them
5. The season begins and the Avs play poorly and need Rantanen more than he needs them.

I could certainly be wrong, but I'd be surprised to see a deal get done absent one of these, or some other catalyst.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I call
tenor (12).gif

Reactions: qqaz

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I don't believe this for a second.

If it had said they have had no talks since having a serious one (where both sides said they wouldn't budge), then maybe. But to claim they've barely spoken at all, is BS.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Ignore it, he's driving traffic to his new site by sensationalizing, just like the countless Panarin radio hits he did on July 1 speculating about no new information while plugging the new venture.

Reactions: klozge

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
What is there to talk about? Rantanen is not willing to take what the Avs are offering. The Avs are not willing to give Rantanen what he's demanding. That's it until something changes the equation.

Things that can change the equation:
1. Offer sheet
2. Marner signs
3. Camp starts
4. The season begins and the Avs start well and don't need Rantanen as much as he needs them
5. The season begins and the Avs play poorly and need Rantanen more than he needs them.

I could certainly be wrong, but I'd be surprised to see a deal get done absent one of these, or some other catalyst.

Or Tkachuk signs.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Am I the only one who could honestly give two ****s about these rfa’s and what they want at this point?

Frankly, I can’t be sympathetic because gms only want to offer 7-8 million instead of 9-10 million. Don’t know why rfa’s should go straight to ufa and get a ****load aav as well.

Why shouldn't they be paid what they're worth? Just because RFAs used to play for peanuts in the past, doesn't make it right. Rantanen has scored 209 points on his ELC, he hasn't earned the right to get close to what Matthews got? Not just saying this as a fan of another team either. I will be 100% in favor of Hischier and Bratt getting big contracts next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad