Rumor: Avs and Rantanen have had no negotiations

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

IDS HABBENING!

2MzWOgd.jpg

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Colorado might be worried about Rantanen cooling down in a major way during the 2nd part of last season. The sum required to sign him might not be just bad value. The is no evidence of him being able to sustain a great pace for a full season, and in the worst case, it could have been simply a hot streak and he cools down to a roughly 70 points player.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Was curious until i saw the website / author, not exactly a reliable source. Joe Sakic signed about 7 guys in 7 days and your trying to tell me he has had no contact with his star RFA? Give me a break. Would have been more believable if he said talks have broken down, not that they haven't even happened.
Seems like Sakic just confirmed the report. Seems the source is reliable in this case.

Reactions: shadow1

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Colorado might be worried about Rantanen cooling down in a major way during the 2nd part of last season. The sum required to sign him might not be just bad value. The is no evidence of him being able to sustain a great pace for a full season, and in the worst case, it could have been simply a hot streak and he cools down to a roughly 70 points player.

I mean, he had 84 the year prior, so there’s that.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

He's scored at least 84 points in each of the past 2 seasons.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Yeah I listen to the BSN podcast all the time and when Dater was on there all he would do is emotionally spout his uneducated opinion. The other guys are much better.

BSN is getting better and better. AD talks out of his rearend and makes up stuff that just isn't true now. He is a mouthpiece for agents and little else.

Like even just before July 1st he was suggesting Varly would sign with the Avs. He's a massive egomaniac. If people like him, that's on them. I just don't trust those people when they think he's the best Avs outlet there is.

Reactions: Mac Attack

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

The only way he cools down to 70 points is if he or MacK get injured.

He's not even 23 and the last 2 seasons saw him put up 171 points in 155 games. His rookie year was the year the Avs had a historically awful season and he still put up 20 goals.

Call me nuts but I'm gonna suggest that we shouldn't worry about Rantanen regressing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Rantanen is the safest bet on the planet. Don’t forget he was the AHL co-rookie of the year and scored 60 points as a 19 year old on an awful team and in a system that’s seen only three other players score 50 points this decade. That was the same year he captained Finland’s WJC team to the gold medal and would have had the golden goal if the team hadn’t given up the lead with 2 minutes to go. Then he was the only Av to score 20 goals on the 48 point disaster team. The issue certainly isn’t the Avs being hesitant. They should lock him up for however many years he agrees to.

I think it will be a 6 or 7 year deal. They won’t get suckered into the 5 hysteria and the Avs simply don’t sign 8 year deals.

Reactions: MacBradley

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Beware Avalanche! A Finnish floorball team has just offer sheeted Rantanen!

The text in the tweet says "This had to be done. If Avalanche don't understand to give Rantanen what he deserves, we here in Nousiainen do."

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I think with the salary cap being readjusted down and next years outlook on the salary cap either staying flat or a minimal rise in it and most teams scrambling to readjust all these RFAS won't be getting the paydays they once thought was a given.

Just spitballing but if you look at capfriendly quite a few teams are way over the cap , which means more trades and movement just to comply.

The NHL IMO created it's own nightmare going to a salary cap and adding all these restrictions added into contracts , while not giving these young kids time to develop and to many aging and decking players the product isn't as exciting.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
BSN is getting better and better. AD talks out of his rearend and makes up stuff that just isn't true now. He is a mouthpiece for agents and little else.

Like even just before July 1st he was suggesting Varly would sign with the Avs. He's a massive egomaniac. If people like him, that's on them. I just don't trust those people when they think he's the best Avs outlet there is.

You can’t say BSN is getting better and better in a conversation where you’re trying to discredit Adrian Dater’s sources (which you were wrong about in this case).

Their podcasts are excellent, but their insider information is next to none at the moment.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
You can’t say BSN is getting better and better in a conversation where you’re trying to discredit Adrian Dater’s sources (which you were wrong about in this case).

Their podcasts are excellent, but their insider information is next to none at the moment.

BSN is getting better and better. More than just their podcasts are great btw. Their filmrooms are superb. The analysis has steadily improved every season as well. Where did I even remotely suggest they were insiders?

I've said from the beginning that the whole insider thing is overrated. Within seconds we all know the same information. It doesn't matter who broke the news anymore.

I wasn't trying to discredit ADs "sources". I was discrediting AD. His sources are unreliable at best though. Unless you think Varly is still signing with the Avs. He isn't the insider people are pumping him up to be. He brings very little to the game.

If you like AD that's fine. Don't sell his wares as what they aren't though. He's a fine writer when he has a story to tell. Outside of that, he's been passed up by others.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
BSN is getting better and better. More than just their podcasts are great btw. Their filmrooms are superb. The analysis has steadily improved every season as well. Where did I even remotely suggest they were insiders?

I've said from the beginning that the whole insider thing is overrated. Within seconds we all know the same information. It doesn't matter who broke the news anymore.

I wasn't trying to discredit ADs "sources". I was discrediting AD. His sources are unreliable at best though. Unless you think Varly is still signing with the Avs. He isn't the insider people are pumping him up to be. He brings very little to the game.

If you like AD that's fine. Don't sell his wares as what they aren't though. He's a fine writer when he has a story to tell. Outside of that, he's been passed up by others.

This is a thread about a Rantanen rumor, of which you tried to discredit the source. So to praise BSN as superior implies their rumors are trustworthy - which they haven’t been this far.

Reactions: BleedWell

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

AD doesn't work for BSN anymore and therefore BSN is better for that alone. The podcasts he was on were a chore to sit through.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
AD doesn't work for BSN anymore and therefore BSN is better for that alone. The podcasts he was on were a chore to sit through.

I’m not discussing this here. Just trying to point out for other fans that this rumor is from a trustworthy source - which it has proven to be.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Non Avs fan, but I'm always skeptical of these sorts of click bait sky is falling reports. You can parse these words multiple ways. Did Sakic not speak to directly to Rantanen but has spoken to the agent, if so, it's not inaccurate to say Avs haven't negotiated with Rantanen.

I imagine at a minimum that Sakic spoke to the agent at some point and they agreed to catch up after what they hoped would be a market set by similarly situated players (not that there are many of them). The closest recent comparable would seem to be Aho, maybe you factor in some prior deals like Matthews, Drai, etc. and they can extrapolate from that. Marner not signing should not grind the whole thing to a halt but it apparently has.

Rantanen is a top talent and Sakic isn't an idiot. He'll offer something legit and the negotiation will probably more over term than salary or bonuses. I guess if Rantanen demands Something in excess of Matthews for a similar term they'll have a bit of a stalemate but my guess is that would have slipped out already if it was the hold up.

There's still plenty of time before camp opens to finish a deal with Rantanen. If he's not signed by Sept. 16 then it might suggest someone is being very stubborn but it's too early to say anything is off right now.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Especially when Sakic came out freaking yesterday and said he just talked to Rantanen.

Said he talked to him to see how his summer was going but not for negotiation purposes, which they hope to start soon.

But hey, reading is overrated.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I never thought I would see a Rantanen thread turns into an Adrian Dater one :laugh:

Some of us have tried to discuss Rantanen but Adrian Dater stans keep derailing it.

Rants is a hell of a player and all I hope is that they get him signed long term. He needs to be an Av for a long time. He and MacKinnon are on track to be in the conversation for top 5 all time Avs if they already aren't now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spilot23

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Anybody who’s in a strong and effective union should disagree. You never do anything to undermine your union.

Yeah well, it's pretty difficult to compare players in a competitive team sport that has a salary cap with say... steel workers. Besides, I've never heard of a steel worker making half a million a year for limited effort. Context is important too.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
In an interview Sakic said he recently has contacted Rantanen and both sides are agreeing that long term is the way to go, now they're just working on the number. It should be done by training camp I'd assume

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
In an interview Sakic said he recently has contacted Rantanen and both sides are agreeing that long term is the way to go, now they're just working on the number. It should be done by training camp I'd assume
Uh oh for everyone else with rfas if long term is around 8 years he isn't gonna be a fun comparable .

That's gonna be an 11 aav

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad