Eklund Rumor: Avs and Bruins 5 player swap (involving Landeskog)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Carlo would be a MASSIVE acquisition for the Avs if they can get him. Unsure if Bruins would move him though. They will need him bad when Chara retires

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Fans saying Carlo is struggling gives the impression he is a borderline 3rd pairing defenseman. He may be struggling compared to his first half but he is very much still playing as a 20 year old top 4 defenseman with big size, big upside, high mobility, and IQ.

Oh 100%, even a struggling Carlo has been solid for us. Maybe struggling is the wrong word, maybe the rookie growing pains is better lol.

I will say its funny that some people want to point out that he's playing with a HOF in Chara in order argue that he's not that good, but just last year a lot of those same people were saying Chara was old and washed up lol.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
He's still unproven. Lots of defenseman have a good 1st year then completely busts. Remember Eric Gelinas...

remember luke schenn... remember tyler myers... remember mike komaserek... remember Brayden colburn... remember kyle McLaren... remember darnell nurse

I could probably throw up 100 names here... theres been guys that come into a team the first year... surprise the fans by making the team... get on a roll... end up playing first pair mins...

and then struggle bottom pair the next few years... or otherwise have very average careers...

theres other guys like chris tanev and karl alzner who have pretty decent careers and they too struggled in their early years

for a defensive dmen to be a regular in the lineup before age 24-25 is fairly rare. playing defense requires experience. I mean even zdeno chara was bouncing around in the bottom pair for a few years

carlo seems to have what it takes to be pretty decent but bruin fans are full of broken dreams if they think hes going to be the answer to our current defensive problems the next couple years.

theres always growing pains

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Still he beat out 2 veterans and another young d-man to take the 1st pairing roll. Defense is one of the hardest positions to learn and excel at. By most standard Carlo shouldn't even be in the NHL right now, but he is and he's playing like a top-4 dman.

He's struggled recently (which we expected to happen at somepoint), but he also not used to an NHL schedule. The kids played more game already then he did last year in the WHL.

He has 20 good games at the NHL level, he beat out two veterans who are barely 3rd pairing Ds, and gets to play with Chara who covers some of his warts, not to mention the host of elite defensive forwards the Bruins have. I'd like to know how he'd look playing alongside Beauchemin, and behind the defensively sound forwards like Grigorenko, JC, Comeau etc. Not too hot I reckon.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
He might, but his definition of caving will be different from yours. He isn't ever going to let good, team controlled guys go for scraps.

Since we don't know the answer yet...how can you be so sure it's different than mine? Which you don't know either.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Is he playing that much because he's actually good enough to play that many minutes or because the Bs is severely lacking in talent outside of three players?

Is Zadorov good enough to play 20 minutes a night or because the Avs are severely lacking in talent outside of 3 players? It goes both ways.

Carlo has been good and has progressed way faster than I predicted. Do I think he's a future #1? No. A future top pair? Probably not in the old sense but today you have a lot of guys who play "top pair" even if they aren't the 2nd best D on the team. You can argue the upside if you want, but he's proven me wrong consistently, so I'm not going to doubt him.

But ultimately, I have issues with Landeskog's upside given his lack of scoring. Yes the bottom 6 is bad, but if Landeskog is the type to get you a future top pair D you'd think he'd be able to put up points. He plays on the PP but yet his shots/60 on the PP are atrocious. That's not Martinsen or Bourque's fault. That's just not being a good enough offensive player.

The B's themselves have better scoring options than him, so it doesn't make sense to give up a cheap young D already making a case for himself.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'd much rather have McAvoy. but I'd be content with this package:
Carlo + Zboril + Debrusk + 1st for Landeskog + Tyutin

I'm sure you would, but don't want Tyutin for a 3rd and Landeskog isn't worth anything near 4 prime pieces. Keep him, it's working out great so far.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He has 20 good games at the NHL level, he beat out two veterans who are barely 3rd pairing Ds, and gets to play with Chara who covers some of his warts, not to mention the host of elite defensive forwards the Bruins have. I'd like to know how he'd look playing alongside Beauchemin, and behind the defensively sound forwards like Grigorenko, JC, Comeau etc. Not too hot I reckon.

Didn't realize you've watched every game he's played this year. Guess we can agree to disagree then.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
5 player deal, hmm maybe Bruins get both Landeskog and Duchene :)

McAvoy is not going anywhere and Bruins reluctant to trade Carlo and rightfully so, he has been impressive playing top minutes for a rookie 20 year old kid. I could see the Bruins still doing the deal, but if it is Carlo then I think the other pieces likely to be Danton Heinen another Colorado connection was a great NCAA guy and is compared to a Loui Eriksson type player and then maybe add Zboril possibly Subban thrown in. There also the possibility that Beleskey is in there for cap reasons.

As the TDL gets closer the Avs will get less, we have seen TDL day deals and players go for a lot less than rumoured. If they still want to much then if I am Sweeney I say no thanks and add a couple forwards maybe a rental like Patrick Eaves and go for Patrick Berglund and sign him after the deal.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Is Zadorov good enough to play 20 minutes a night or because the Avs are severely lacking in talent outside of 3 players? It goes both ways.

Carlo has been good and has progressed way faster than I predicted. Do I think he's a future #1? No. A future top pair? Probably not in the old sense but today you have a lot of guys who play "top pair" even if they aren't the 2nd best D on the team. You can argue the upside if you want, but he's proven me wrong consistently, so I'm not going to doubt him.

But ultimately, I have issues with Landeskog's upside given his lack of scoring. Yes the bottom 6 is bad, but if Landeskog is the type to get you a future top pair D you'd think he'd be able to put up points. He plays on the PP but yet his shots/60 on the PP are atrocious. That's not Martinsen or Bourque's fault. That's just not being a good enough offensive player.

The B's themselves have better scoring options than him, so it doesn't make sense to give up a cheap young D already making a case for himself.

Good thing I didn't comment on Zadorov once in this thread.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Unless Sakic is an even worse asset manager than we think, it's safe to say that if Landeskog is headed to Boston, either McAvoy or Carlo is headed to Colorado. The haggling at this point, I'd imagine, is over which will sting for Boston and when: if they're ready to compete now, can they afford to lose Carlo? And if they feel their window is a few years from now, can they afford to lose McAvoy?

Either way, Boston fans should be rejoicing: you've got enough solid defensive assets to acquire a player like Landeskog; your team seems to be on the right trajectory, and if you acquire him, he is going to be an enormous addition to a competitive team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Um, the Avs actually don't WANT to give kids big minutes. They'd probably prefer to give those minutes to Tyutin. Zadorov hasn't been handed anything. Carlo coming in would be handed a huge role with no life preserver and I'm not entirely sure he wouldn't be sent to the AHL for development reasons at some point too.

BruinsFan1990

Mar 29, 2016
Winthrop, MA
I will admit that if we do move Carlo++ for Landy, our top six will be very dangerous.

Marchand - Bergeron - Backes
Landeskog - Krejci - Pastrnak
Vatrano - Spooner - Cehlarik
Beleskey - Moore - Hayes

Just hope that we can out score our defense lol

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Um, the Avs actually don't WANT to give kids big minutes. They'd probably prefer to give those minutes to Tyutin. Zadorov hasn't been handed anything. Carlo coming in would be handed a huge role with no life preserver and I'm not entirely sure he wouldn't be sent to the AHL for development reasons at some point too.

Um, the Bruins didn't WANT to give Carlo big minutes. They would have preferred to hand those minutes to Colin Miller or Joe Morrow or other "young" players who had already been in the system. Carlo forced his way onto the team. He wasn't "given" anything. Go back and look what I was telling other B's fans this summer who were pencilling him in. I called them crazy. Said that 2nd round picks who are 19/20 don't play in the NHL.

Yet the kid forced his way onto the team. If you don't want him, that's fine. I personally don't want to deal him and I do agree that his upside offensively is limited.

While Landeskog is a "good" player, he isn't good enough offensively to make me want to give up young cheap, D that has progressed more and faster than anyone thought. I don't buy into the "leadership" thing with players, so I look at "tangibles". Tangibly his offense keeps going down. Maybe there are reasons out of his control for that. Good. Then fix it yourself and keep him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Would he? Once Johnson is back, wouldn't Carlo be allowed to develop on the 3rd pairing?

Or would one of Johnson or Barrie shift over to the left-side?

jokerboysmith

May 5, 2003
Planet Nebula
Visit site
I would think if it the Bruins were willing to include Carlo in a deal, the trade would have happened already.
Depending on what you read and who you believe the B's said no to including Carlo.

McAvoy might be on Sakic radar however the B's would be ill advised to trade him at this point.

My guess is prospects Heinen and Zboril are involved...the hold up might be Colorado's reluctancy to take back a salary dump such as Belesky or Hayes.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
TBH we'd hope he becomes more than a 3-4 Dman if we're trading Landeskog...

His Potential lies in that of a #2, shutdown Dman. Think best case scenario Brent Seabrook...Good size, compliments the Offensive Dman, chips in offensively here and there (I know Brent has had some high point totals it's a loose comparison)

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I would think if it the Bruins were willing to include Carlo in a deal, the trade would have happened already.
Depending on what you read and who you believe the B's said no to including Carlo.

McAvoy might be on Sakic radar however the B's would be ill advised to trade him at this point.

My guess is prospects Heinen and Zboril are involved...the hold up might be Colorado's reluctancy to take back a salary dump such as Belesky or Hayes.

On the other hand, I think the hold up is what sakic is asking for in addition to Carlo. The prospects involved. From the bruins board, it seems like there's some due diligence being done on the prospects to come to a final pascal age.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Yup, nothing special about a recently turned 20yr old rookie d-man, playing over 21 minutes a night and on pace for around 20pts

Luke Schenn was once a recently turned 19 year old rookie D man, playing over 21 minutes a night and on pace for 16 points. Not claiming that they are similar players, just pointing out that this kind of performance as a rookie doesn't always indicate future success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad