Maple Leafs hire Craig Berube as head coach

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Could be okay, but it's tough with the pampered stars who run the organization. He won't be allowed to even mildly criticize his top players (remember what happened to Keefe?). Until Shanahan is gone, the entire core is gone, and a new culture is brought in, the coach won't make a difference.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Can't help but wonder if this increases the chances of Edmudson staying given that Berube knows him.

I also wonder if he targets other former players of his, like Paraykp, Binnington and Buch.

Rumours are Marc Savard is joining him.
I could definitely see a trade with St Louis getting one or two players he likes from the team he coached

Reactions: blueswede22

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Can't help but wonder if this increases the chances of Edmudson staying given that Berube knows him.

I also wonder if he targets other former players of his, like Paraykp, Binnington and Buch.

Rumours are Marc Savard is joining him.
Martin Brodeur may be linked as well...🤣

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This team needs someone like Torts to kick them repeatedly in the ass and make them fight for the logo on the sweater. Far too much skill on this team and far too little giving a damn.

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Tampering? Teams (Ottawa) need argue on bad faith negotiations here. Sets a bad precedent for both the league and the coaches guild. Rumors where that Berube was eyeing another position weeks before the Leafs had lost to the Bruins and fired Keefe. Can a team really enter 'negotiations' with a free agent coach when their current one is pouring his heart and soul into keeping the team alive (and generating revenue)?

Seems suspect IMO. Like Shannahann and co. knew what was comming and tried to hide the body. Shady, shady stuff

Who's tampering here? Your point doesn't make any sense.

Berube had no obligation to Ottawa. They already hired the coach they wanted in Travis Green. What's next are all the coaches who got interviewed but didn't get hired by Ottawa going to accuse Ottawa of negotiating in bad faith because they hired someone else?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I agree. I think that he a really good combo of old school toughness, and new school being able to relate to players. Perhaps some feelers were put out, and he wasn't interested, leaving the Leafs with the feeling that they had to lock up Berube before he also got taken.

I like Berube, but don't know how it's going to work in Toronto for him. I tend to think it's more of a roster composition problem there than coaching, and there isn't much he can do about that.
Yep pretty much how I see it.
Berube isn’t the guy I wanted but he isn’t someone I really didn’t want either. He is a good coach who is inheriting a team with a lot of talent but a lot of issues too.

It’s way too early to say what the roster he will inherit will look like. There could be massive changes to the lineup this offseason and if not there will be next offseason just based of the contract situation of Marner and Tavares. Good luck to him and we will see where the gong show of being a Leafs fan takes us next year

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Chief is an alright pick but it is anyone's guess on how the players will respond. Doesn't matter what business you're in, it's all about the people and their relationships with each other. I would run through a wall for some of my coaches. Let's see how many players buy into what he's selling.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Who's tampering here? Your point doesn't make any sense.

Berube had no obligation to Ottawa. They already hired the coach they wanted in Travis Green. What's next are all the coaches who got interviewed but didn't get hired by Ottawa going to accuse Ottawa of negotiating in bad faith because they hired someone else?

And your "team" was obviously scouting coaches (making handshake agreements) long before their season was over. With the current coach (Keefe) dangling from a hook, fighting for his life oblivious to the fact the guy providing some milquetoast commentary on some ESPN satellite was already earmarked for the position. Why did the Sens/other teams spend time and money to interview Berube? Why did Keefe look so defeated before the series even began?

It's just an odd situation all around.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Live look at Marner seeing the news

giphy.gif

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Marner most likely moving on but he probably did shed a tear or two when he heard this news. Still can't believe Keefe had to apologize after he called out the core 4 when they played bad against Arizona 2 years ago
Lmao, I totally forgot about this. That was unbelievably pathetic.

Reactions: BaconNater

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Chief could kick every current NHL players ass right now. Don’t mess with the Chief

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
meh.. everyone said Babcock was going to be the tough person to hold them accountable.. same **** different coach. Until the players start giving a damn, the coach doesn't matter.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And your "team" was obviously scouting coaches (making handshake agreements) long before their season was over. With the current coach (Keefe) dangling from a hook, fighting for his life oblivious to the fact the guy providing some milquetoast commentary on some ESPN satellite was already earmarked for the position. Why did the Sens/other teams spend time and money to interview Berube? Why did Keefe look so defeated before the series even began?

It's just an odd situation all around.

Who said they were interviewing while Keefe had a job and what rules did it break if they were?

I don't understand your point. You seem upset Berube wasn't interested in the Sens - does anyone blame him? They're the worst team of all the teams available. I don't think in-demand coaches are lining up to coach a 26th place team when multiple perennial playoff teams have coaching vacancies.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Matthews, Marner and co aren't going to like playing for Berube. He is too...menacing looking.

They only want to play for a big low t gummi bear like Shelly Keefe.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Berube the best hire they could have made at the moment. The issue has been the roster more than anything. Will be interesting to see if Berube can change the culture.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Doesn't seem like a great fit, given how the team is constructed. On the other hand, perhaps the way to creating more of a winning culture is through some culture shock.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I guess this means the end of the inmates running the Asylum. I have a feeling Matthews stats are going to decline, with Berube it won't be if Matthews will score 70. Strange, I feel Marner will benefit from Berube's no nonsense attitude though. In the end I don't think it moves the needle much if the roster remains mostly unchanged.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wow. Ok. Maybe reread the ops and get back to me then.

lmfao

The Leafs were not tampering because Berube was not employed. I didn't think it was so hard to follow why your point didn't make sense.

Talking to a free agent is tampering now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad