Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene - Part II

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It was slightly weird seeing him post a photo of himself in an Avs jersey with Iggy, congratulating him on his career.
I mean, Zadorov also posted a pic of himself in a Sabres jersey playing against Iggy. It's basically the only pic Duchene would have in the same jersey as Iginla.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
It's basically the only pic Duchene would have in the same jersey as Iginla.
It’s basically a subliminal message to Joe: “Sign me as a UFA next summer at 2.5 AAV and I will play 3C as I wish to contend for the cup and I miss you all ffs.”

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Not a single highlight there showed off any speed... Kamenev is a below average skater and at his age, he is very unlikely to turn it into a strength. It is very rare for a player beyond the age of 17/18 to go from bad skater to elite (Point is clearly an exception). You can see below average skaters improve to average on a pretty consistent basis, but it normally happens during early years in development. If a player is past 20-21-22... they don't tend to dramatically improve.

Jeez mate. Premature to write him off so early. Not only do.I hope and expect he'll excel, become an awesome PK'er and bit gritty as heck, I expect him to move up the lines.

Prepare yourself to be surprised. He'll achieve plenty. I see mountains of potential.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jeez mate. Premature to write him off so early. Not only do.I hope and expect he'll excel, become an awesome PK'er and bit gritty as heck, I expect him to move up the lines.

Prepare yourself to be surprised. He'll achieve plenty. I see mountains of potential.

Look at other posts of mine on Kamenev... I'm actually pretty positive on him. I'm not writing him off at all. He isn't a good skater though and that is what I was saying.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Look at other posts of mine on Kamenev... I'm actually pretty positive on him. I'm not writing him off at all. He isn't a good skater though and that is what I was saying.
Fair enough . I probably should have made the post about him more generally, than in response to your particular post, so apologies mate.

We have 1 top line, and 3 3rd TOP quality lines after that.

Kamanev is gold.

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The over-analysis on skating speed is bordering on the ridiculous, especially with Kamenev. No, scratch that, we blew past ridiculous like an attacking forward past Beauchemin.

If outright slugs like Carl Soderberg and Ossi Vaananen can carve out decent NHL careers, so can he.

Also, I would think Kamenev would have enough hockey IQ to overcome this particular flaw in his game. Guys like Stastny and O'Reilly have been impact players themselves, largely because they know where to be and when. And I don't buy this "well they just worked on their skating stride" explanation. I'm sure it improved but speed is neither guy's strong suit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The over-analysis on skating speed is bordering on the ridiculous, especially with Kamenev. No, scratch that, we blew past ridiculous like an attacking forward past Beauchemin.

If outright slugs like Carl Soderberg and Ossi Vaananen can carve out decent NHL careers, so can he.

Also, I would think Kamenev would have enough hockey IQ to overcome this particular flaw in his game. Guys like Stastny and O'Reilly have been impact players themselves, largely because they know where to be and when. And I don't buy this "well they just worked on their skating stride" explanation. I'm sure it improved but speed is neither guy's strong suit.

Luc Robitaille had beer league level of skating and he's the best left wing in NHL history. When you know where and when to go skating isn't an issue. If you don't know what to do AND you're slow af (ala Grigorenko) then it's a big issue. It really depends of their IQ. Yak had tons of speed....

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think speed only becomes an issue when it comes to team speed overall. You can have a couple slow skaters on your roster, it's just when there's too many of them that it becomes a real problem. For instance, the 2016-17 Avs clearly had too many sloggers. The Sabres under Tim Murray were also waaaay too slow. Boomer Gordon has been slagging Doug Armstrong and the Blues because he feels like, even with the addition of so much talent, the team just doesn't have the needed quickness.

More to the point, if Kam doesn't make it in the NHL, it won't be because he wasn't fast enough.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think speed only becomes an issue when it comes to team speed overall. You can have a couple slow skaters on your roster, it's just when there's too many of them that it becomes a real problem. For instance, the 2016-17 Avs clearly had too many sloggers. The Sabres under Tim Murray were also waaaay too slow. Boomer Gordon has been slagging Doug Armstrong and the Blues because he feels like, even with the addition of so much talent, the team just doesn't have the needed quickness.

More to the point, if Kam doesn't make it in the NHL, it won't be because he wasn't fast enough.

Whoops. Parts of this post did not age well...

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I still chuckle at the thought of this trade every now and again. Ottawa traded for a year of Duchy. Nashville got both him and Turris. Avs robbed both teams and still to this day we're showing reaping the benefits season by season.

Who knows what the best piece will be. Byram? G? Annunen?

Everyone was so worried in the heat of the moment and it flipped to relief so fast.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I still chuckle at the thought of this trade every now and again. Ottawa traded for a year of Duchy. Nashville got both him and Turris. Avs robbed both teams and still to this day we're showing reaping the benefits season by season.

Who knows what the best piece will be. Byram? G? Annunen?

Everyone was so worried in the heat of the moment and it flipped to relief so fast.

It’s wild. Even if the only piece was Girard it would be a pretty good trade.

And we can’t throw the towel in on Bowers yet either, in addition to all the others you mentioned.

Reactions: MarkT

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Im getting tired of Girard lazily throwing the puck to the middle of the ice leading to a turnover. It seems every game he does it.

Just wrap it up the boards instead of throwing it into the middle.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah I am with my mate (forgot if it was @Avs_19 , @Balthazar @Cousin Eddie ) that mentioned only a certain amount can be blamed on Babcock.

I watched the Leafs/Pens game tonight as some of you probably did and even though the entire Maple Leafs deserve for getting wrecked, Barrie was definitely one of the worst players easily. Which still puzzles me how people can defend some of his weaknesses on here, he is a terrible passer with questionable decision making with the puck, he plays two-on-ones as bad as Zanon, and isn't playing smart hockey at all.

I mean he was always a risk taker and some of those lead to goals, but it seems that Babcock has a shorter leash than Bednar has. Which I admit is actually a good trait in a coach - sure I would like to see Graves benched for multiple stupid penalties in a game - but benching the dude is what kills players confidence and I think allowing him to play is actually beneficial. Now for Graves seeing more of him is bad, especially when he or Cole are having tough games, but I am thinking it more in regards to our young and talented players. I very much still dislike Burakovsky as a player, but keep playing him out there even though he loses 95% of his puck battles which lead to high quality scoring chances.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
What is going on with Girard this year? I was really excited to see him play during the offseason but he seems like a shell of his 2018-19 season self. He's getting outmuscled along the boards, he's failing to clear the zone. Even his spinoramas have fallen off a cliff and he doesn't seem to have the offensive prowess we've seen from him before. Is it that he's been given a different role now that Barrie is gone and he's struggling with his new assignments? Has Cale turning up burst his bubble? It's weird, he has a lot of potential but he seems mostly invisible except for turnovers this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad