Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire S. Girard, S. Bowers, V. Kamenev, A. Hammond, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for M. Duchene - Part II

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
To COL:

Sam Girard
Vladislav Kamenev
Shane Bowers
Andrew Hammond
2018 2nd round pick (NSH)
2019 1st round pick (OTT)
2019 3rd round pick (OTT)

To OTT: Matt Duchene

To NSH: Kyle Turris

June 23, 2018

• COL trades NSH's 2018 2nd round pick (58th overall) to PIT for the 64th (Annunen) and 146th (Zhuravlyov ) picks.

July 1, 2018

• Andrew Hammond signs with MIN.

Updated trade tree:

• Sam Girard
  • Vladislav Kamenev
  • Shane Bowers
  • Justus Annunen
  • Danilla Zhuravlyov
  • 2019 1st round pick (OTT)
  • 2019 3rd round pick (OTT)

Part I: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...ammond-1st-2nd-and-3rd-for-m-duchene.2407145/

Last edited:

CoachBadkitten

Matt Hunwick
Jul 25, 2012
Colorado
Though he's the first part of the trade tree that ended, (and signed with a rival). I'll never forget what Hammond did for us. That game five is probably the best Avs moment for me since 2013.

Thank you Hamburglar, and love Joe for getting him in this already incredible deal.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Though he's the first part of the trade tree that ended, (and signed with a rival). I'll never forget what Hammond did for us. That game five is probably the best Avs moment for me since 2013.

Thank you Hamburglar, and love Joe for getting him in this already incredible deal.

Jupp, was screaming like a mad man when Ghetto scored that 2nd goal; waking up all my neighbors at 5am in the morning. Some of them are still pissed. Whatevs ... so worth it! :banana:

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
There are some real gems from the first couple pages of that thread. Is is cool to tag people with their posts?

@PAZ
Who cares about the game, let's see if Sakic bent or got bent over in this trade.

@Avs71
Imagine if the team keeps winning without him, and the Avs pull in a big haul. What an amazingly fun season this would be.
What an amazingly fun season it ended up being.

@Pierce Hawthorne
If that's the return we're getting just for Duchene I take back anything I ever said about Sakic mishandling this situation.
That's an insane return.

@JWK
There’s no way that deal is true, no way Sakic did that well

@Xokkeu
This trade is worse than the Oreilly deal. A bunch of futures that project as serviceable. The draft picks are at least nice.
Whoops :sarcasm:

@kingslayer
Oh sweet mother of christ. I hate to see Matt go but that package can choke an elephant. Sakic. Faith restored.

@Sea Eagles
What a crap trade. Seriously. We were winning games. Take tonight against The Islanders as a repercussion of what happens when you try to fix something that isn't broken.

Girard - 19 y/o undersized D-man with 0 experience (we have Barrie, with Makar on the way) - 2nd round pick
Kamenev - 21 y/o Russian Left wing with but 2 games experience (we have Landy, Wilson, Ghetto, Nieto)
Bowers - 18 y/o Center who will be who knows. Could be a bust, could be decent.
Hammond - 29 y/o Goalie. Who for? SAR or Avs? Where's Bernier going?

Then, if you look at the position of the teams today, a 23rd, 48th & 85th draft pick. How many of those have panned out for us?

Get stuffed Sakic.

Have a feeling you might have changed your mind on that one :laugh:

Fun stuff in that thread. Seems like forever ago. We all thought that the 1st was basically guaranteed to be 15-25 this year. The initial reactions were almost all positive, from all sides of the trade, which is really rare.

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Wanted to post this on the main board but don't want to argue with a bunch of people. It keeps being said that Dorion can't afford to let the pick become a top 5. But he needs to move on. The trade is made, and the pick was part of it. He can't plan for next season to keep the team as competitive as possible to make the trade look better. Then tear it down and rebuild. If Duchene won't be back, trade him. Karlsson won't sign, move him when you can get the best return.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wanted to post this on the main board but don't want to argue with a bunch of people. It keeps being said that Dorion can't afford to let the pick become a top 5. But he needs to move on. The trade is made, and the pick was part of it. He can't plan for next season to keep the team as competitive as possible to make the trade look better. Then tear it down and rebuild. If Duchene won't be back, trade him. Karlsson won't sign, move him when you can get the best return.
That would be the smart thing to do. But he wants to save face more than he wants to set his team up for the future.

Reactions: MarkT and Vaslof

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That would be the smart thing to do. But he wants to save face more than he wants to set his team up for the future.

He wants a competitive team to save face and his boss wants to sell tickets.

Reactions: McMetal

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
It is sad that dorion/melnyk would be willing to hurt the team long term just to make the trade look not as bad.

At this point tho, i don't imagine they have much choice. Anderson wanting out, stone to arbitration which may lead to a soured relationship if he gets awarded a 1 year deal (straight to ufa), karlsson on the move... The duchene signing thing. . Remove one or all of the pieces and dorion has a hell of a time filling those spots with quality players. Ottawa is going to be brutal next year, barring some miracle, whether dorion or melnyk want it or not

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It is sad that dorion/melnyk would be willing to hurt the team long term just to make the trade look not as bad.

At this point tho, i don't imagine they have much choice. Anderson wanting out, stone to arbitration which may lead to a soured relationship if he gets awarded a 1 year deal (straight to ufa), karlsson on the move... The duchene signing thing. . Remove one or all of the pieces and dorion has a hell of a time filling those spots with quality players. Ottawa is going to be brutal next year, barring some miracle, whether dorion or melnyk want it or not

It's the type of move that can get you fired. Burke essentially did the same thing in Toronto with Kessel.
You trade for a top player and then that player is added to your core and doesn't help the team perform well overall.

Reactions: Hasbro

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I keep seeing it mentioned that Ottawa is going to do everything they can to be competitive. Well they don't have a magician as their GM. There is only so much they can do really. They can't make a new #1D, a #2 & #3D, #1C, and a starting goalie appear out of thin air.

That team has a good #2C as their #1, zero top four defenders on the roster outside of Karlsson, and aging questionable goaltending. Even if they traded every future they have they still wouldn't be able to fill those holes.

I don't know what anyone is worried about. We'll get a top 10 pick IMO. Which means another good shot at a Mikko or better player and potentially a center at that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I keep seeing it mentioned that Ottawa is going to do everything they can to be competitive. Well they don't have a magician as their GM. There is only so much they can do really. They can't make a new #1D, a #2 & #3D, #1C, and a starting goalie appear out of thin air.

That team has a good #2C as their #1, zero top four defenders on the roster outside of Karlsson, and aging questionable goaltending. Even if they traded every future they have they still wouldn't be able to fill those holes.

I don't know what anyone is worried about. We'll get a top 10 pick IMO. Which means another good shot at a Mikko or better player and potentially a center at that.

Top 10 is very, very likely. It's just that people assume that they'll finish dead last because they are worse on paper than they were last year. That's not always how it works.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I think management will try, I don't think they succeed. The Avs locker room pulled together because they wanted to prove they were better than a 48 point season. The Ottawa locker room won't pull together just to save face for their skinflint owner. Human motivation doesn't work that way. Especially when their captain will have very publicly forced his way out by October. A brand new leadership team will take the place of EK, Turris, and Phaneuf, and I don't think whatever they come up with is going to cut it.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think management will try, I don't think they succeed. The Avs locker room pulled together because they wanted to prove they were better than a 48 point season. The Ottawa locker room won't pull together just to save face for their skinflint owner. Human motivation doesn't work that way. Especially when their captain will have very publicly forced his way out by October. A brand new leadership team will take the place of EK, Turris, and Phaneuf, and I don't think whatever they come up with is going to cut it.

You think young guys like Chabot, White, Brown and possibly Tkachuk won't want to prove anything? These guys have nothing to do with this mess and are unaffected. Sens had a rotten locker room last year and everything that could go wrong went wrong. With both Hoffman and EK gone and an influx of young, hungry players they will have a breath of fresh air.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
You think young guys like Chabot, White, Brown and possibly Tkachuk won't want to prove anything? These guys have nothing to do with this mess and are unaffected. Sens had a rotten locker room last year and everything that could go wrong went wrong. With both Hoffman and EK gone and an influx of young, hungry players they will have a breath of fresh air.

I think a lot will come down to whether the remaining group has any real, strong, positive leaders left in it and whether they get any decent goaltending. If a crappy organizational situation was all it took to bring a team together and make them overperform, the the Coyotes would be a perennial playoff team.

Reactions: McMetal

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Yes i think goaltending is going to be the real issue. Even if the team plays decent, if Craig Anderson or mike condon don't play well (entirely possible) then youre done anyways. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but right now i feel confident calling that Ottawa first a top 10 pick based on all those factors

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sens have a strong nucleus of prospects and draft extremely well. They could have a better than last season, if given the opportunity. They will be lots of early struggles and mistakes, but it can be done with time and patience. I suspect the youngsters will love the extra ice time and ample opportunities to simply play the game without any concerns on being benched or sent down.

Coaching is where the Sens need to refocus the team. The 2019-1st is lost and could very well be the 1st OA. Idiotic trades and poor team mgmt involve the prior players, but this has no direct relationship to the prospects. The youngsters concern is to get a chance to reach the NHL and prove they belong. They need acknowledge going into a full rebuild and rive their players every opportunity to play.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

I don't think their mentality good or bad will stack up to the lack of experience. We've all seen what happens when you hope for all of your young players to figure it out in a single season. The roles they're going to be put into will be way above their heads. Even if they are not put in those roles the more experienced players left on the roster that will take those roles are proven to not be capable of filling them on a winning team.

It's the combination of everything IMO.

People comparing them to the Avs of the past are completely dismissing what Varly did for us in the past, and much more complicated situation if talking about the 48 point season. They don't even have the level or set of players looking to have rebound seasons. Their goalie maybe, and Ryan. That's about it. Neither of which are a good bet like the under 25 forwards we had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad