Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Andre Burakovsky for a 2nd rd pick, 3rd rd pick, and Scott Kosmachuk

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Why would that be a foregone conclusion? All it takes is Nate missing 20 games and bye bye playoffs. Or Grubauer tending the goal like he did for good chunk of last season.

PS

As for the whole window narrative, we just saw Jets window likely shutting down after being open for a grand total of 2 seasons. Teams like Penguins and Sharks being able to be competitive for so long creates a mirage that windows last long. Even the Kings who won two basically had a 4-5 year window and now that everyone is playing on legacy contracts they look to be a long way from contending.
The Jets don't have our top end talent and we want a 10 year window not a 2 year pretend chance window, they have overrated themselves the same as you do Barrie

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
The Jets don't have our top end talent and we want a 10 year window not a 2 year pretend chance window, they have overrated themselves the same as you do Barrie

?????????????????????????????????

You're underrating the Jets so much.

Wheeler + Schiefele might not be as productive as Mack + Rants, but the difference sure isn't as big as you're playing it out to be (especially when you take into consideration the rest of their team over the years).

The next couple years will be the best chance the Avs have to compete. They might still be able to compete following Mack's extension but it will require dealing with cap casualties (the same as the Jets currently are with Wheeler going from 5.6 > 8.25 and the other people getting raises). If anything the shift for the Avs will end up being even more extreme because Mack won't be going up 2.65 million, he'll be going up 8 in all likelihood.

Selling off top talent to try and extend the window longer before the main window even attempts to compete is an idiotic idea. Tyson Barrie is the best D on the team atm. Unless the trade brings in a player that fills an equal role on the team (and expecting it to be a net gain because someone on the roster 'might' produce more as a result doesn't help), it is making the team as a whole worse. Eliminating a strength (and Barrie provides one hell of a strength himself + by helping to develop the others) to kind of fill a whole isn't the right way to go about it.

If they opt to trade Barrie, and who knows they might if they don't view him in their long term plans, it better be for the right reasons and not simply a change of scenery. This whole "we can compete for 10 years" thing is such an odd thing. Yeah you might compete for 10 years, but you're never going to actually be a favourite over those 10 years if you continuously ship off your better players to continue developing from within / changing things up. At some point you have to...... actually try and compete. This is the teams best chance to actually do that.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
That's exactly the number I was thinking if he wanted two years, I think that would be the accurate price range but still if you're the Avs... let him sign his QO and see how it goes. We signed Colborne to a 2 year contract and couldn't wait to get that guy off the roster. There's just no need to give him any term.
Colborne and Zanon. Two players who was so bad on the Avs that it literally forced them into early retirement.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
So that is how you guys are all so calm. At least in Colorado you don't need a prescription anymore.

Explains some of the responses about Sakic not doing enough and subsequently giving up too much. Your group is never happy.

Alphalfa - Eyes.gif

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
?????????????????????????????????

You're underrating the Jets so much.

Wheeler + Schiefele might not be as productive as Mack + Rants, but the difference sure isn't as big as you're playing it out to be (especially when you take into consideration the rest of their team over the years).

The next couple years will be the best chance the Avs have to compete. They might still be able to compete following Mack's extension but it will require dealing with cap casualties (the same as the Jets currently are with Wheeler going from 5.6 > 8.25 and the other people getting raises). If anything the shift for the Avs will end up being even more extreme because Mack won't be going up 2.65 million, he'll be going up 8 in all likelihood.

Selling off top talent to try and extend the window longer before the main window even attempts to compete is an idiotic idea. Tyson Barrie is the best D on the team atm. Unless the trade brings in a player that fills an equal role on the team (and expecting it to be a net gain because someone on the roster 'might' produce more as a result doesn't help), it is making the team as a whole worse. Eliminating a strength (and Barrie provides one hell of a strength himself + by helping to develop the others) to kind of fill a whole isn't the right way to go about it.

If they opt to trade Barrie, and who knows they might if they don't view him in their long term plans, it better be for the right reasons and not simply a change of scenery. This whole "we can compete for 10 years" thing is such an odd thing. Yeah you might compete for 10 years, but you're never going to actually be a favourite over those 10 years if you continuously ship off your better players to continue developing from within / changing things up. At some point you have to...... actually try and compete. This is the teams best chance to actually do that.
Meh they are on the downslide , I'd say 5th in the Central

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Here's some good news about the guy: his first three seasons he averages basically 0.5P/GP...which isn't half bad. He just has one bad season, his last season.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don’t think Avs fans hate the fact that we acquired Burakovsky. The issue with Avs fans is that with our attachment to the team we see the big picture and add our trades together to see the total result.

Outside fans see the Avs being proactive and adding a young skilled player. They already forget that the trade happened by now and certainly don’t remember last week.

Avs fans see that the Avs gave away their 2C and best PK’er and now spent even more in assets than Az did on a far less superior hockey player.
Wait....is Burakovsky a "far less superior hockey player?" I'm on the fence here. What I do know is that Big Carl was a year out from a new contract and probably wasn't in the plans for the team. I would think the asset management folks would love this. I just don't know enough about Burakovsky to make a decision yet. He sounds like a good kid who could slide in on the 3rd or 2nd line. I would hate it if this was our big summer move, but as much as I bash Joe Sakic for being passive, I'm willing to pass judgement until after free agency begins before crucifying him.

Reactions: MarkT

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Wait....is Burakovsky a "far less superior hockey player?" I'm on the fence here. What I do know is that Big Carl was a year out from a new contract and probably wasn't in the plans for the team. I would think the asset management folks would love this. I just don't know enough about Burakovsky to make a decision yet. He sounds like a good kid who could slide in on the 3rd or 2nd line. I would hate it if this was our big summer move, but as much as I bash Joe Sakic for being passive, I'm willing to pass judgement until after free agency begins before crucifying him.

Also, don't fall into the trap of comparing Soderberg and Burky. They play completely different roles. Compare Burky to Wilson or even Ghetto or Bork.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Also, don't fall into the trap of comparing Soderberg and Burky. They play completely different roles. Compare Burky to Wilson or even Ghetto or Bork.
Agreed.

Soderberg
Wilson ----------> Burakovsky
Nemeth ---------> Makar/Timmins/Byram
Andrighetto ----> Donskoi?
Bourque
Brassard
Varlamov ------> Francouz
(Cole) ----------> Connauton

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
He hasn’t been underutilized though. He’s had multiple chances playing with OV, Backstrom, and Kuzy and still hasn’t broke 38 pts in a season. He gets few minutes because he sucks.

Ok as a Caps fan who has watched every single game of Andre's professional career I have a good idea on what you are getting.. First off he is a great kid who was beloved in the Caps locker room.. He most definitely has talent, he can skate and great hands, however he plays way to small and gets pushed off the puck with ease.. He will not fit well on a checking line because he quite frankly can't check.. He needs to operate in space and is good off the rush, this is what makes me think he may be a good fit with you guys.. The Caps play a heavy game and rely on most of their players to muck it up and win battles.
Another one of my main problems with his game is that he's just not a great finisher, by looking at his numbers you would think he lacked scoring chances but that is just not the case.. He can create opportunities for himself with his speed and skill but just doesn't do a good enough job of filling the net..
I really am rooting hard for Andre and I truly hope he puts it all together with you guys!!

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
I dont like the price. I thought it would cost less than a 2nd a 3rd to acquire him.

But if you are going to give up picks, do it on younger players with upside. Don’t do it on a Brian Boyle at trading deadline.

I wanted to gamble on a player like Burakovsky or Puljujärvi/Wennberg.

Burakovsky is a very solid player in all zones. Two-way player with a good shot. And I am glad to hear that it seems like we are giving him a big role. Pointless to acquire him for that price if we are gonna use him like Caps did last season.

I hope we try to steal him at a low AAV and get as many years as possible on his contract this summer.

Sorry but this assessment of Burakovski is just not accurate.. He is in no way good in all zones and has a below average shot.. He is a good transition player with speed and decent hands but is a below average finisher..

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Ok as a Caps fan who has watched every single game of Andre's professional career I have a good idea on what you are getting.. First off he is a great kid who was beloved in the Caps locker room.. He most definitely has talent, he can skate and great hands, however he plays way to small and gets pushed off the puck with ease.. He will not fit well on a checking line because he quite frankly can't check.. He needs to operate in space and is good off the rush, this is what makes me think he may be a good fit with you guys.. The Caps play a heavy game and rely on most of their players to muck it up and win battles.
Another one of my main problems with his game is that he's just not a great finisher, by looking at his numbers you would think he lacked scoring chances but that is just not the case.. He can create opportunities for himself with his speed and skill but just doesn't do a good enough job of filling the net..
I really am rooting hard for Andre and I truly hope he puts it all together with you guys!!

Cool. FWIW, in Scott Kosmachuk, you're getting a guy who can skate while wearing protective equipment. :laugh:

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

This matches what I've heard about him. Sounds to me like someone we should at least try with MacKinnon. If he thrives in space and is good off the rush, then he should be able to put up a bunch of points with MacK.

Other than that, do you think he could do well if the other guys on his line were good down low and he had to be the guy who carries the puck in then gets himself open?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Sorry but this assessment of Burakovski is just not accurate.. He is in no way good in all zones and has a below average shot.. He is a good transition player with speed and decent hands but is a below average finisher..
You don’t know how to spell your own player’s name.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
This matches what I've heard about him. Sounds to me like someone we should at least try with MacKinnon. If he thrives in space and is good off the rush, then he should be able to put up a bunch of points with MacK.

Other than that, do you think he could do well if the other guys on his line were good down low and he had to be the guy who carries the puck in then gets himself open?
It'll be interesting to see what contract Sakic gives Burakovsky.

If it's only the 1 year QO ($3.25m) the price paid for him in trade seems really high if he then walks in UFA after just 1 year.

Conversely, if Sakic extends him, say for $3m x 4 years, and he hits his potential as a top 6 winger it'll be a steal of a contract. If he fails to live up to the potential it wouldn't be a prohibitively expensive contract to get rid of if needed.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017

Yes I do but you still have the issue of him finishing, he has a slow release and is inaccurate with his shot.. I can't even tell you how many times he has had prime scoring chances in the slot where he has missed the net entirely!!

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Yes I do but you still have the issue of him finishing, he has a slow release and is inaccurate with his shot.. I can't even tell you how many times he has had prime scoring chances in the slot where he has missed the net entirely!!

Yeah I saw some stats about his shooting. Looks like he goes through hot and cold streaks when it comes to accuracy. So it looks like he needs to be 1st assist guy. Somebody else digs it out, passes it to him, and he then passes it to the a third guy who scores. Not ideal, but with the right linemates it could work.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

If it's only the 1 year QO ($3.25m) the price paid for him in trade seems really high if he then walks in UFA after just 1 year.

Conversely, if Sakic extends him, say for $3m x 4 years, and he hits his potential as a top 6 winger it'll be a steal of a contract. If he fails to live up to the potential it wouldn't be a prohibitively expensive contract to get rid of if needed.
I think he would still be RFA after that 1-yr contract.

Reactions: Richard88

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

There really is no reason for Burakovksy to just not sign his QO. We have no control over that.

Reactions: MarkT

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
There really is no reason for Burakovksy to just not sign his QO. We have no control over that.
Maybe he would prefer long-term security over maximum 1 year salary, and sign a deal a little lower than his QO but with more term. Something like the Calvert contract ($2.85m for 3 years) for example.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Why do people act like Winnipeg's window is closed ..? They are still very well set up with a lot of depth and young players coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad