Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Andre Burakovsky for a 2nd rd pick, 3rd rd pick, and Scott Kosmachuk

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Did I say anything about UFA signings? Or did you just decide to make something up entirely on your own?

Same person who told me the general consensus here was that we needed more depth players, and not upgrades to force our depth players into actual depth roles. Good luck with that one.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, that's my point. If we give him term in the 3Ms... I'll be pissed. If we give him his QO for 1 year I'll be fine with it.
Why trade 2nd and 3rd round picks if you're only intending on renting a player for 1 year? Surely Sakic knew before acquiring him what Burakovsky wants in terms of AAV and term...

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Why trade 2nd and 3rd round picks if you're only intending on renting a player for 1 year? Surely Sakic knew before acquiring him what Burakovsky wants in terms of AAV and term...

He is not worth in the 3M$ and that's where his QO is. Also, I'm not sure he's going to be any good with our team, I want him signed short term so he can prove himself, then if he's good, give him more term. I'll be mad if we give him term at decent money before he proves his worth.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
He is not worth in the 3M$ and that's where his QO is. Also, I'm not sure he's going to be any good with our team, I want him signed short term so he can prove himself, then if he's good, give him more term. I'll be mad if we give him term at decent money before he proves his worth.
Fair points.

Just to play devil's advocate... Keeping in mind that the $3.25m QO is only relevant if he'd sign a 1 year contract, do you think he'd be worth it if he instead signs for something below $3m for around 3-4 years?

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Fair points.

Just to play devil's advocate... Keeping in mind that the $3.25m QO is only relevant if he'd sign a 1 year contract, do you think he'd be worth it if he instead signs for something below $3m for around 3-4 years?

I don't know if I'd give him2M$ for 3 years, so I guess my answer is probably no. That's mainly because I don't believe in the player though. Some people would give him 3 x 3 without hesitating.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know if I'd give him2M$ for 3 years, so I guess my answer is probably no. That's mainly because I don't believe in the player though. Some people would give him 3 x 3 without hesitating.

Yeah there is zero reason to give him term. Let him sign his QO. It's already more than he deserves, and then walk if he does not prove himself. If he proves us all wrong great.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would vehemently disagree he is an upgrade on Wilson. My problem with Wilson was that he is injured too often, but when healthy he can bring plenty more than Burakovsky. And he has always stepped up his game in the playoffs ten-fold.

And to others using per 60 stats, I think +/- tells you more than that stat. Exploration production from small sample sizes is not how you evaluate players. He is a puzzling player with a questionable drive, who despite having size goes out of his way to avoid hits and brings nothing to the table when he is not scoring. I was strongly against getting him a year ago, and I hate the fact that we went for another project when we have plenty as is, just because they fancied the guy 5 years ago. This is an upgrade on Andrighetto, that’s all.

That's why I said "arguably." He's definitely more talented than Wilson, but whether he has the wherewithal to actually apply it on the ice has been the huge question.

And let's be clear, while Wilson's injury history was probably the biggest issue with keeping him aboard, it was by no means the only one. Wilson shined in the postseason but he was an eternally frustrating guy to watch. There were the endless pratfalls, the missed defensive assignments, the countless whiffed scoring chances, etc. He's also on the wrong side of 30. So they get a more talented winger with more upside, but I'm not a fan of the fact they paid a much higher price to get him and unlike Wilson isn't already signed.

Bura's fancy stats from year to year are all over the damned place, so I've no idea what Parnass and his team had to say about the guy.

Side note, he will be the first #65 for the Avalanche in their history. The last player to don that number for the franchise was Tim Hunter back when they were still the Nords.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's why I said "arguably." He's definitely more talented than Wilson, but whether he has the wherewithal to actually apply it on the ice has been the huge question.

And let's be clear, while Wilson's injury history was probably the biggest issue with keeping him aboard, it was by no means the only one. Wilson shined in the postseason but he was an eternally frustrating guy to watch. There were the endless pratfalls, the missed defensive assignments, the countless whiffed scoring chances, etc. He's also on the wrong side of 30. So they get a more talented winger with more upside, but I'm not a fan of the fact they paid a much higher price to get him and unlike Wilson isn't already signed.

Bura's fancy stats from year to year are all over the damned place, so I've no idea what Parnass and his team had to say about the guy.

Side note, he will be the first #65 for the Avalanche in their history. The last player to don that number for the franchise was Tim Hunter back when they were still the Nords.

That just popped into your head lol?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Burakovsky can just sign his QO if he wants 3.25M on a 1 year deal, that's not up to us. Which he probably should.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Did I say anything about UFA signings? Or did you just decide to make something up entirely on your own?

You’re the one acting like this will be the last move all offseason.

But you’re right, you’re the one being rational.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Same person who told me the general consensus here was that we needed more depth players, and not upgrades to force our depth players into actual depth roles. Good luck with that one.

I mean, if you want to argue that depth scoring =/= depth you’re right, you’re not going to get very far with me.

Splitting hairs about where to add depth, when pretty much everything below the top line should be fair game to be upgraded upon, just to pat yourself on the back really accomplishes a lot though.

If Bura is locked into the top 6 with Jost and Kerfoot to start the year then we can talk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm actually starting to accept the deal for what it is, but I will be extremely pissed when Sakic gives him 3M$ for 3-4 years.

If that happens, then this has the potential to be Brad Stuart all over again. Don't extend players you don't need to extend right away before you've seen how they fit on the team.

Yeah there is zero reason to give him term. Let him sign his QO. It's already more than he deserves, and then walk if he does not prove himself. If he proves us all wrong great.

100%. It HAS to happen that way. At least the Caps qualified him at that price and McLelland said that his preference was to keep him but that he asked to be moved. To me, those are good signs but we'll see how it works out. If we're able to add at least Zuccarello on that 2nd line, then I like this acquisition more. If not and we're stating the season with #9296 and then a mix of Bura - Jost - Kerfoot & Compher on the 2nd line, then I don't think it's going to end well and we'll have paid that price for 1 year of Burakowsky.

Agree completely with the sentiment of what you're saying here but Colin Wilson is 29.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

For what it’s worth, I’m one of the people defending this move. But here, I agree with you. Term should be 2 years at most. Three years is too long for something like this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For what it’s worth, I’m one of the people defending this move. But here, I agree with you. Term should be 2 years at most. Three years is too long for something like this.

If he wants two years I would be offering like 2.5M not 3.5M though. If he wants to prove himself I don't see why he wouldn't just sign the QO though.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If he wants two years I would be offering like 2.5M not 3.5M though. If he wants to prove himself I don't see why he wouldn't just sign the QO though.

Do you foresee us maxing our on cap space? If no, why not give him that carrot? My feeling would be to incentivize him on the idea that this is a trial.

But then again, I’m not sure what Joe has planned.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

That's exactly the number I was thinking if he wanted two years, I think that would be the accurate price range but still if you're the Avs... let him sign his QO and see how it goes. We signed Colborne to a 2 year contract and couldn't wait to get that guy off the roster. There's just no need to give him any term.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I hate the fact that “maybe this going to work”, we are not rebuilding now, we have no time for projects. We need sure shots for the 2nd line. I could understand trading Soda to make room on the roster and the cap space for legit 2nd liners but then this trade happens and it makes no sense.
We have all kinds of time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad