Confirmed with Link: Avs acquire Andre Burakovsky for a 2nd rd pick, 3rd rd pick, and Scott Kosmachuk

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why do people act like Winnipeg's window is closed ..? They are still very well set up with a lot of depth and young players coming up.

Well...they're not in a great spot at the moment. They just traded away one of their best defensemen, and their current best defenseman is set to turn 35 and missed a bunch of time with injury last year. Their best player put up good numbers last season but I think everyone can agree he didn't come close to really hitting his ceiling. They're still a playoff team for sure, but they don't look like the force they were the previous year. I also can't help but think they may have waited too long to make a coaching change.

IF Hellebuyck recaptures his Vezina-finalist form then they have every shot at winning it all. If he doesn't and they stumble down the stretch like they did last season, then I don't think even a playoff spot is guaranteed.

Reactions: Foxtail

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Well...they're not in a great spot at the moment. They just traded away one of their best defensemen, and their current best defenseman is set to turn 35 and missed a bunch of time with injury last year. Their best player put up good numbers last season but I think everyone can agree he didn't come close to really hitting his ceiling. They're still a playoff team for sure, but they don't look like the force they were the previous year. I also can't help but think they may have waited too long to make a coaching change.

IF Hellebuyck recaptures his Vezina-finalist form then they have every shot at winning it all. If he doesn't and they stumble down the stretch like they did last season, then I don't think even a playoff spot is guaranteed.
I think Connor, Roslovic and Morrisey can carry some slack. Add in guys like Scheifele and Laine playing to his potential and I don't see a very big lull if any. They might even get some significant contribution from guys like Niku, Vesalainen or Pionk. I'm not sure they are a team I expect to fall out of the playoffs anytime soon.

Reactions: MarkT

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
So did Yakupov, honestly. He constantly had his motor running, just never in the right direction. Burakovsky is pretty much a rich man's Yakupov.

Burakovsky is still young and there is chance he will have a positive development, we will have to wait and see.

Reactions: Richard88

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Which puts them @3 top four guys. They just need one more. We need an entire second line and yet posters clamor that our window is open.
Is Niku really a top 4 guy right now?

Buff being 34 does not help at all. They could have a weak D core very soon, unless the prospects meet expectations or Chevy gets creative and makes good deals.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Is Niku really a top 4 guy right now?

Buff being 34 does not help at all. They could have a weak D core very soon, unless the prospects meet expectations or Chevy gets creative and makes good deals.
I think he is but I understand not fully believing in him just yet. Last season he was sort of blocked by depth imo. Pionk could get there too but he's a wildcard.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Which puts them @3 top four guys. They just need one more. We need an entire second line and yet posters clamor that our window is open.

No people say our window could be open if we make the right moves during this time frame (Mack's contract). After that, we'll be facing the same issues they are right now (having holes to fill but needing to be creative due to cap reasons).

Even so, compare their team from the last few years to now. The cap is starting to hurt the roster because it has been assembled for so long and guys are coming off of ELC's and bargain deals. We're in the early part of that right now, it'd be better to try and go for it in that stage rather than expect to go for it in the stage that they're at right now.

People aren't saying it's impossible for the Jets to end up competing if things go right for them, but it's going to be harder for them to put it together now than it was 2-3 years ago.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Burakovsky is still young and there is chance he will have a positive development, we will have to wait and see.
Yakupov was the same age when he played for us two years ago. All I'm saying is that these things don't often work out. This is a very high-risk move and if this is the best we can do on the trade front for forwards we should be very worried.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
No people say our window could be open if we make the right moves during this time frame (Mack's contract). After that, we'll be facing the same issues they are right now (having holes to fill but needing to be creative due to cap reasons).

Even so, compare their team from the last few years to now. The cap is starting to hurt the roster because it has been assembled for so long and guys are coming off of ELC's and bargain deals. We're in the early part of that right now, it'd be better to try and go for it in that stage rather than expect to go for it in the stage that they're at right now.

People aren't saying it's impossible for the Jets to end up competing if things go right for them, but it's going to be harder for them to put it together now than it was 2-3 years ago.
People were saying that our window was open after our first round win last year. They used it as reasoning for playing Makar. Not saying that is the general opinion but that's what I picked up on.

I also wasn't comparing our squads but they aren't as far behind us as our fanbase would like to believe. We are significantly better set on D but their depth is significantly better. It will all come down to how both teams react obviously but they aren't like Toronto or SJ where they are tiptoeing on the edge of disaster.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Yakupov was the same age when he played for us two years ago. All I'm saying is that these things don't often work out. This is a very high-risk move and if this is the best we can do on the trade front for forwards we should be very worried.
I'm not sure it's that high risk. Maybe if we paid a first or something. Not saying we couldn't have spent those assets better but it's a move that really can't hurt us too much imo. Worst case scenario is we have a player that Sakic puts too much responsibility on a few seasons.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

I do agree that Burakovsky is a dark horse, this is gambling and thus a bit exciting. ;-)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Yeah Burakovsky is 3 years younger and $650k cheaper (as far as the QO is concerned), with Top 6 upside too. Looks good in comparison with that trade.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Andrew Shaw is a better player than Burakovsky. I’m a little confused why anyone would think the Avs got better value. I’m not a Shaw fan but Burakovsky is all potential that you’re hoping he puts together. I mean, Shaw had 47 points last year...

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Andrew Shaw is a better player than Burakovsky. I’m a little confused why anyone would think the Avs got better value. I’m not a Shaw fan but Burakovsky is all potential that you’re hoping he puts together. I mean, Shaw had 47 points last year...
And the next highest was 39 points 5 years ago, only has hit 20 goals once. I'd much rather take the risk of Burakovsky than going with a 3rd line grinder :dunno: I think last year was more of an outlier than anything else

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hopefully Burakovsky comes with a much better contract.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Shaw is a very good player. The risk comes with his lengthy history of concussions. If he stays healthy enough to play 70+ games that's phenomenal value for the Hawks. He's way more than some run-of-the-mill 3rd liner.

I still think the Burakovsky deal was a bit of an overpay, especially considering he didn't even come signed, but we'll see if that turns into actual value. I'm not going to compare the two trades though.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Shaw is nice to have on a team, but he is reaching that age where he is gonna start trending downwards and he was mediocre to begin with.

It's hard to compare to Burakovsky as a player, very different and has good underlying numbers unlike Shaw. It's a different situation.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
So did Yakupov, honestly. He constantly had his motor running, just never in the right direction. Burakovsky is pretty much a rich man's Yakupov.

Lol what a lazy comparison.

Yakupov always battled but never had the hockey IQ

Burakovsky's hockey IQ is fine, he just doesn't always battle, when he does show up he's a deadly sniper/playmaker. One is much more easy to fix than the other especially as the player matures

If you think a guy with no hockey IQ could play regular shifts on the 3rd line of Barry Trotz teams for years, including cup winning ones, idk what to tell you

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad