Post-Game Talk: Aves @ Sharkes 2 PM MST || In theory, we can win this. In theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Burn the game tape and forget the game ever existed.

Edmonton is going to eat our PK alive.

We'll see, the biggest problem that SJ has on the PP against the Avs is strength and size down low. They crash and bang and create chances around the crease. The Oilers have a much different PP.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
I don't see any point in discussing that as a possibility, because I don't see the Avs getting a top two pick this season. Making the playoffs will be difficult, but I don't see them being last or second to last in the league.

You can't discount it completely though...

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Anybody else notice that to start the game when we had pressure, the Sharks played 5 guys down low. Obviously no respect, for good reason, for our defense. This is a glaring issue. Not sure what management has in mind here, but if they thought this defense would cut it they are morons. They NEED to get at least 1 more guy. Probably 2. And it needs to be an offensive guy.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Theme of the season so far: We're ridiculously undisciplined. The only reason we won against CLB and LAK are because they are pathetic on the powerplay.

In our four games I think we've given up 7, 6, 6, and now 7 tonight, powerplays, and that is just not going to be a good thing at all. Sure we won the other 2 games, but this theme is unsettling. We need to stop taking stupid penalties. Though it probably doesn't help that (atleast from my perspective) we seemingly keep getting jobbed hard by the zebras.

The refs aren't losing these games for us though, hardly. Not even close. We lost today because nobody could hold onto the puck for more than a few seconds, and it seemed like everyone was afraid of even shooting the puck at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

It will be nice to have a kid who grew up rooting for the Avalanche anchoring the defense. :sarcasm:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I liked the Avs game minus the PK and the dumb penalties. Not ROB's

Stastny I thought was one of the better Ava players tonight. I don't agree with people saying he's been invisible, its just that his line creats like one offensive chance a period. They need to be a lot better but he wasn't terrible.

Duchenes line looked good up until the hit. They tailed off quite a bit tho. This line could become a great first line once they gel. I really like this trio.

Mitchell and McLeod had good games. Hejduk and Olver not so much, I really wish they pair them up together.

EJ was fantastic, the problem is the other 5 defenders.

Nothing good to say about the goaltending, other than JS should've started at least Sacco had the sense to pull varly( a little late) but no big deal.

Couple of other things I miss jaymac soooo baaad and so does the PK. Also the Seth jones or mackinnon posts get tiring pretty fast. Can we not have that after every loss please.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Also, trade David Jones and a mid-round pick for a PMD. We simply are shooting ourselves in the foot by putting people like Parenteau and McGinn (lol, I swear I saw him on the point near the start of the game, although it could have simply been him cycling out) at the blueline for our PP, when Parenteau should be down low on the left side for one timers, and McGinn should be parked in front of the goalie.

Another reason is that David Jones is a bad hockey player

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Every single player except EJ played horribly tonight. Overall this season, every player except Duchene, EJ and Varly has sucked.

Personally I'm worried about Landeskog. I was right about Stastny eons ago and I have already been a known critic of the Landeskog-over-Huberdeau/Larsson pick...I really hope Landy picks it up sooner or later.

As for the Stastny line, it has yet to do anything in any of our games. I know most of you probably think "this is one game, no need to worry yet", but we haven't played all that great in any of our games outside of Duchene, EJ and Varly's individual efforts. Stastny and Landeskog in particular need to pick it up since they've done basically nothing in 4 games.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Anybody else notice that to start the game when we had pressure, the Sharks played 5 guys down low. Obviously no respect, for good reason, for our defense. This is a glaring issue. Not sure what management has in mind here, but if they thought this defense would cut it they are morons. They NEED to get at least 1 more guy. Probably 2. And it needs to be an offensive guy.

I agree. The lack of a PMD (outside EJ and he is concentrating more on D), is killing the transition game and the PP at the moment.

I know that Sacco probably was frustrated with the lack of size and the emphasis on puck movers a couple of years ago, but management (perhaps influenced by Sacco) really made some poor decisions in re-constructing the D.

I still support the EJ trade, but you can't just have 5-6 guys that are completely stay at home with no skill in your D rotation.

That is a glaring failure and lack of judgment on management's part at the moment.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City

They did the Zanon signing and almost got Carkner, what else do you expect, I'm sure there's a few more plugs they'll target this summer. In all seriousness, a first pairing dman plus a good top 4 dman is what this team is lacking the most.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
Avs seem to collapse once they get down a decent amount. Very frustrating to watch this and the Minny game.

It's a disturbingly common trend over the past few years, if the team's 'gameplan' doesn't work they fold up faster than a busted flush. The team was done before the first period ended today.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

Stastny I thought was one of the better Ava players tonight. I don't agree with people saying he's been invisible, its just that his line creats like one offensive chance a period. They need to be a lot better but he wasn't terrible.

Duchenes line looked good up until the hit. They tailed off quite a bit tho. This line could become a great first line once they gel. I really like this trio.

Mitchell and McLeod had good games. Hejduk and Olver not so much, I really wish they pair them up together.

Nothing good to say about the goaltending, other than JS should've started at least Sacco had the sense to pull varly( a little late) but no big deal.

Couple of other things I miss jaymac soooo baaad and so does the PK. Also the Seth jones or mackinnon posts get tiring pretty fast. Can we not have that after every loss please.

Which game did you watch? The Stastny line creates one chance a period, you're right. How does that qualify as playing well?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
All forward lines struggled. The Stastny line created 2-3 half-chances but that was it. Zero pressure on Sharks apart from the first 10 minutes. If you don't work hard, you don't get any power plays.

Three PP goals and the fourth one came seven seconds after a PP for Sharks. Special teams slaughter.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Agree on Stastny. He hasn't been spectacular by any means this season, but he also hasn't been terrible. McGinn right now is an offensive black hole. He can shoot (or should I say hit posts and miss just high or wide) and hit, but he looks incredibly rusty when it comes to passing and controlling the puck.

member 116861

Also, trade David Jones and a mid-round pick for a PMD. We simply are shooting ourselves in the foot by putting people like Parenteau and McGinn (lol, I swear I saw him on the point near the start of the game, although it could have simply been him cycling out) at the blueline for our PP, when Parenteau should be down low on the left side for one timers, and McGinn should be parked in front of the goalie.

Another reason is that David Jones is a bad hockey player

No he is not.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I thought Wilson played alright as well. The problem with our other defenders is that they have absolutely zero creativity and have terrible breakouts. The offense is extremely hampered by the fact that they basically have to get into the offensive zone by themselves, they don't have the defenders that help them transition into the offensive end. You could tell that the Sharks players could tell exactly what 4 of our defenders were going to do, and by the end of the game they were just picking them off and walking in for great chances.

Also, what is with the defense being completely incapable of pushing forwards away from the front of the net? I thought the reason the team transitioned to a big immobile defense was to be tougher down low. Now, instead of being small and incapable of moving forwards, but at least smart enough to pick off plays, the defense is basically a giant pylon with the one hope that it blocks a shot.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Thought the exact same thing. How can you possibly say Varly was bad? basically all 4 goals came on the PP and 2 of them he had literally no chance on.

As others have said, the entire team **** the bed today, except EJ.

EJ had a really good game, again. That play he had at the end of the game acting like an Airplane to cover the puck was actually an incredibly smart play. Really says a lot about how well he thinks the game to be able to do that without hesitation.

I thought Duchene was ok. No where near his last 2 games, but I thought he was good on the PK and was using his body well down low. Landeskog looked shaken up from the hit, and PAP was invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad