Movies: Avengers 4 - Endgame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I thought I read a spoiler on a YouTube title but it turned out not to be true. Which was fine. It was a thing I would not have cared about at all.

I think I agree that Infinity War was the better movie, but like, just based on how the hero’s arc has to progress, i think the fall will always be better than the rise, at least if it is done right. That is why Empire Strikes Back is so great. If done right, the hero’s plight can really strike an emotional chord. The dusting scene at the end of Infinty War was just so perfect. I don’t think it’s possible to top Infinity War, and they didn’t.

Reactions: Kurtz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You're unfortunately gonna get lots of plot holes in a movie of this size, it wasn't too glaring in general imo and I was fine with them.

Btw Captain Marvel with short hair....wow. I want her hair stylist and I'm a guy. Also I hated how her character just ****ed off for most of the film then swoops in right at the end, that isn't a plot hole to me, that's just one of those convenience things they use.

Btw my theatre was driving me nuts. A lot of high schoolers it seemed cos it was right when school was about to end and they kept clapping and going ooooh at like every major revelation which was basically throughout the entire 2nd half especially the big battle. Is this normal? In Canada? I've never experienced that but I generally watch films once they've been out for a while.

You can read the spoilery stuff now but I said before that Russos hands were tied from a production and creative aspect because Captain Marvel's script hadn't been finished yet and of course shooting hadn't began. Had the movie been shot before Endgame then they could done a lot more with Carol.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I’ve read all the spoilers in here and still have yet to see the movie. Come at me

Apr 28, 2010
Great movie.

But can anyone tell me what Capt. America whispered to that guy when he took the suitcase? Didn't get that part.

Feb 24, 2017
Thank you. Can't wait for the blu-ray. I need subs for some parts.
I don’t need them need them, but years ago I was visiting my mom and dad, and dad was watching The Wire with closed captioning on. I asked him if he was finally old as dog shit and losing his hearing, but it turns out he was having trouble picking up urban street talk. :laugh:

Moral of the story is don’t be scared of closed captions if they can add to your experience!

Reactions: No More Subban

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
I don’t know why they made Ego a celestial lol, unless he just saw himself as one.
I think GoTG3 will have something to do with them searching for Gamora and the Soul Realm. Adam is a cosmic anomaly, I’m not sure which Adam we’ll get but I hope he’s similar to his comic self where he’s the keeper of the Soul Gem. Who knows what 5 years later meant for Adam, it’d be nice having Adam notice something irregular about past Gamora and break the curse of the Soul Stone. Both Natasha and Gamora should be in the Soul Realm.
GotG was so great, then the Avengers movies stole their cosmic content, and imho they didn't have any good ideas for GotG2. GotG2 was just plain bad. I've been reading Marvel for over half a century and I think Ego is the dumb villain my friends and I have made fun of the most.

Reactions: Kurtz and Hint1k

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I got an opportunity to watch it again

and...

I only got misty eyed a couple times the first go-around. Still felt very emotional at times throughout the movie, but didn't outright cry.

With Tony's final pre-recorded message signing off with "I love you 3000" and then fading away, I absolutely lost it.

I don't know if it was the sheer overwhelming amount of moving parts the first time that kind of distracted me from letting Iron Man's death truly hit me. But it hit me this time. Hard. I can't put my finger on exactly why. Like I know Robert Downey Jr. is still alive and I know that him sacrificing himself to save the universe from annihilation was the best possible end to his character arc. I guess there was something to his ultimate sacrifice and really taking in what kind of hero he was. You had titans of nobility like Steve Rogers and T'challa. You had complex heroes like Thor and Nebula. But with Tony it's like he was a bit of everything. No matter how much he had to suffer for it, he could not escape his need to do the right thing. Even if it cost him everything. I guess there was something beautiful to me in what his sacrifice meant to everybody and how he encapsulated the heroic spirit of all the MCU good guys.

I'm gonna stick with the MCU going forward to see what comes next, but it will never be the same without Tony Stark.

Also, I really couldn't give a f*** about what Cap's return to the past means for the timeline. I still really loved that he decided to stay with Peggy and grow old with her. It was the most fitting choice for his character, and certainly well deserved.

Also I actually...sort of felt a little better about Captain Marvel's place on the second go-around. After the first watchthrough I described her as a "back pocket nuclear bomb." But having the time to properly appreciate subtleties the second time around, I picked up a little more on Larson's facial cues. In particular when she finds out what Thanos had done as Tony was getting filled in. It was the exact right amount of guilt and anguish that she wasn't there. Also, the moment passed by my attention the first go around, but it was huge that she singlehandedly stopped another Thanos snap before Tony inevitably got the stones off the gauntlet. I still felt more hyped for Scarlet Witch on the battle field (full body chills the second time around. "you took everything from me" was a line delivered with so much defeat and so much hatred, for real, I can't commend Elizabeth Olsen enough for making the most out of basically two lines of dialogue. Still one of my favorite parts in the movie.

Anyway, my personal feeling is that it more than holds up on a rewatch. If anything I think not feeling the intensity of first impressions to overwhelm me allowed me to appreciate the moving parts more. The highs still felt incredibly high, the lows felt incredibly low, and the laughs were still there.

It's not a perfect movie, but given what the Russos had to do to bring it all to an end, I think it was a terrific achievement in pop culture filmmaking.

I still give it a slight edge over Infinity War. Infinity War was paced better, I'll give it that, and it was certainly better than most MCU movies save for CAWS (and Endgame). But I feel Endgame packs a stronger emotional punch and does really well to tie up multiple character arcs. Also

For a movie so light on action in its first two acts, that final battle is truly unlike anything ever put on a screen. There was a time where we couldn't fathom how the Battle for New York could be topped but the Russos have delivered in Civil War, Infinity War, and now Endgame, action that makes the Battle for New York look tame by comparison.

GotG was so great, then the Avengers movies stole their cosmic content, and imho they didn't have any good ideas for GotG2. GotG2 was just plain bad. I've been reading Marvel for over half a century and I think Ego is the dumb villain my friends and I have made fun of the most.

I don't think Guardians two was bad. It just wasn't as great as the original (for the longest time I had GotG behind Winter Soldier for second best MCU movie). And it's mostly dragged down by the last act, but almost everything that came before it was pretty great.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm seeing this tonight, so I'm generally avoiding this thread until then, so can't tell if anyone else has posted box office updates, but early figures so far indicate absolute monster performance and that this will probably break a number of records.

-Domestically, it's heading to about $350 million for the weekend. Previous record was $257M by Infinity War.

-It's breaking records overseas as well, and particularly China. At this stage, it's likely to make over $1 billion by the end of the weekend worldwide.

-It received an A+ Cinemascore, so audiences are responded positively, which should translate to strong word of mouth. That could propel this to breaking the domestic record ($936M for The Force Awakens) and the worldwide ($2.8B for Avatar)

I'm looking forward to seeing this tonight. Glad I got my tickets when they're first went on sale.

Reactions: Hint1k

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I feel like GOTG2 was better than the first, honestly. Was one of the deeper movies theme-wise and went beyond just the idea of superheros fighting bad guys in some way.

Lindsay Ellis did an episode about the movie and the GOTG movies as a whole, and it explains my thoughts on these movies (and the MCU generally) pretty well.

Reactions: Hint1k

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I haven’t read in a long time but I’m pretty sure it was the Time Gem that sent them to the future. And the only reason the Gems were destroyed was because Cap was using them to fight off the incursion with another Universe lol. That’s what I remember anyway. I don’t see a possible way Thanos just snaps the stones to atom without any repercussions.

Even since the Gems have resurfaced. They can’t be fully destroyed, they’ll always be somewhere. That was Hickman’s run, right? I don’t think it’s ever happened beyond that. Closest thing would be LT nullifying the Gauntlet altogether
You're right. I was thinking of when Namor lied about a gem being in Wakanda to send the Cull Obsidian there.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don’t need them need them, but years ago I was visiting my mom and dad, and dad was watching The Wire with closed captioning on. I asked him if he was finally old as dog **** and losing his hearing, but it turns out he was having trouble picking up urban street talk. :laugh:

Moral of the story is don’t be scared of closed captions if they can add to your experience!

I was so grateful for watching the first 4 seasons on Finnish tv because I didn't understand the street/gang talk as much as I thought I would. :laugh: I downloaded the last season and downloaded English subs just in case.

Reactions: Scott Stevens

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
First round of thoughts. This doesn't nearly touch on everything but mostly the highlights for me. Forgive me if it's a little disjointed and hard to follow. Still processing this movie lol

Everyone has already said it but this was truly an epic and well-executed conclusion to this portion of the MCU. A victory lap of sorts. It really did a great job of dotting every i and crossing every t on its way out. And it did it while invoking such emotion from everyone in the audience. I can't remember the last time a movie put me on such a rollercoaster of emotions. Not even Infinity War did that, and it had its fair share of ups and downs.

EASILY my favourite moment was Steve lifting Mjolnir. The audience went nuts at that. Such a perfect throwback to the party scene from Age of Ultron, especially with Thor saying he knew it all along with a smile on his face. So perfectly done. And that set it up for that hilarious scene where Cap and Thor trade weapons in battle and it was just awesome.

I full on cried when Tony died, It didn't register at first because after he snapped (which was an awesome scene as well with the glove switcheroo) he looked more stunned than anything. It wasn't until Peter rushed to his side that I was reminded of the scene where Peter dusts in IW and this was basically that on steroids for me. Then I lost it when Pepper was talking to him. I'm tearing up thinking of it right now lol. It's so fitting that Tony was the one to end it because he was the one who started it all those years ago. I was really happy to see Tony get that moment with his dad in the past. It really gave his character arc a great sense of finality. If anyone had to die while killing Thanos, I think it makes the most sense that it was Tony.

Cap got exactly what he deserved as well. I'm not sure it works with the timeline but f*** it, he got to be both Captain America and he got his life with Peggy. The scene where he bestows the shield to Sam was excellent. Sam was so modest and didn't want to take it but Steve just made it seem like it was his all along. So great and so very Steve in every sense. I'm glad he didn't die but this effectively writes him out of the universe going forward, but in a satisfying and classy way.

I truly think I missed the significance of Widow's sacrifice in the moment. Perhaps because it happened so fast. One minute Widow and Clint were fighting over who should be the one to jump, then they both fell over the edge, then she let go. It happened so fast but there was literally no way for this movie to finish the way it did without her sacrifice. A really strong way to punctuate the meaning of the term "end game" early on. Very sad in hindsight. I wish I had picked up that in the moment.

Really happy with the amount of Captain Marvel we saw. Not that I was like everyone who was worried she would be some deus ex device but I think it was the perfect amount to showcase how strong she is and get people (well, me anyways) excited for Captain Marvel 2. Also, her haircut. Heart eyes emoji.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I feel like GOTG2 was better than the first, honestly. Was one of the deeper movies theme-wise and went beyond just the idea of superheros fighting bad guys in some way.

Lindsay Ellis did an episode about the movie and the GOTG movies as a whole, and it explains my thoughts on these movies (and the MCU generally) pretty well.

I liked part 2 almost as much as the first one. I didn't laugh as much during it because the trailers spoiled too many of the funny bits. They weren't that funny after seeing them so many times on the trailers. I call it the "There's Something About Mary " effect. I saw the trailer for that before some much more serious movie at my local theater and everyone was in tears from laughing during it. Then when I finally saw it at the theater...Well basically the "hair gel" bit was the only part that had me laughing hard. Trailers kill comedy for me. I only watched two trailers for Ant-Man & The Wasp and it helped.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Thanos was ass in this movie, gonna peg him down a few steps on my MCU villain list.

Thanos was definitely different in this one:
Thanos in Infinity War was very composed. He understood what he needed to do and that others would try to stop him. He welcomed the challenge and even respected his opponents. In his eyes it was a fair fight, so he did not gain any personal hate toward the Avengers. This composer allowed him to succeed.

In Endgame it is very different. Seeing that he indeed succeeded and that the Avengers are trying to undo it is not cool in Thanos's eyes. He almost sees it as cheating. It also pisses him off that after succeeding the Universe was not grateful and it angers him that anyone would even want to undo the snap in the first place. This gives us a very unhinged Thanos that is fueled by vengeance and greed. These emotions lead him to make bad decisions and give a now united Avengers team the chance to beat him.

So yeah, I don't think Thanos was a great as he was in IW...but I think it is more than understandable.

Couple more things:

I read that Marvel confirmed that all of Peters friends were dusted, so that explains why theyre all the same age.

Still not convinced on the Cap ending, but I realized something else bothers me about it. I was never a fan of the Steve/Peggy romance because it really seems silly considering that the two barely know each other. Really the only interactions they had are what we have seen in the movies. There would be very little room for any potential off screen time for them to develop any real romance. The idea that Cap would abandon the only real companion he has ever had (Bucky) to go live with some girl who hes spent maybe a couple hours with in his life is kind of ridiculous. Carters place in the MCU always seemed very forced and overstated compared to what her role actually was. Most probably disagree with me, but I just think Cap deserved a better send off.

Reactions: Kurtz

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
TOMATOMETER

96%

Average Rating: 8.28/10
Reviews Count: 372
Fresh: 358
Rotten: 14

Best comic book movie score ever. :amazed:

I've been watching a lot of Youtubers reviews of the movie and the reception has been equally great. This one really hits you on the feels (lots of spoilers!):

Reactions: Drop Shock

lostinwarsaw

A Slovak living in Belgium
Feb 26, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Thanos was definitely different in this one:
Thanos in Infinity War was very composed. He understood what he needed to do and that others would try to stop him. He welcomed the challenge and even respected his opponents. In his eyes it was a fair fight, so he did not gain any personal hate toward the Avengers. This composer allowed him to succeed.

In Endgame it is very different. Seeing that he indeed succeeded and that the Avengers are trying to undo it is not cool in Thanos's eyes. He almost sees it as cheating. It also pisses him off that after succeeding the Universe was not grateful and it angers him that anyone would even want to undo the snap in the first place. This gives us a very unhinged Thanos that is fueled by vengeance and greed. These emotions lead him to make bad decisions and give a now united Avengers team the chance to beat him.

So yeah, I don't think Thanos was a great as he was in IW...but I think it is more than understandable.

Couple more things:

I read that Marvel confirmed that all of Peters friends were dusted, so that explains why theyre all the same age.

Still not convinced on the Cap ending, but I realized something else bothers me about it. I was never a fan of the Steve/Peggy romance because it really seems silly considering that the two barely know each other. Really the only interactions they had are what we have seen in the movies. There would be very little room for any potential off screen time for them to develop any real romance. The idea that Cap would abandon the only real companion he has ever had (Bucky) to go live with some girl who hes spent maybe a couple hours with in his life is kind of ridiculous. Carters place in the MCU always seemed very forced and overstated compared to what her role actually was. Most probably disagree with me, but I just think Cap deserved a better send off.
Yeah I guess, still was disappointed with him as a villain in this one. No memorable lines or anything of that sort. Still thought he could’ve been written better in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad