Auston Matthews

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Matthews looked trash and still had like 6 goals so that is something impressive

Can you really say Matthews was trash in game 1, 3, 5?

Game 2 wasn't Great, (along with everyone else), but thought he was good in game 4 with 2 goals.

He averaged under 20 mins of ice in the playoffs and still manages 5G and 1A. Not bad for a 21 year old. Playing against stop lines

What were you expecting?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Can you really say Matthews was trash in game 1, 3, 5?

Game 2 wasn't Great, (along with everyone else), but thought he was good in game 4 with 2 goals.

He averaged under 20 mins of ice in the playoffs and still manages 5G and 1A. Not bad for a 21 year old. Playing against stop lines

What were you expecting?
He got ZERO HELP from his linemates. He was a straight one man wrecking crew out there. Kapanen and Johnsson absolutely SUCKED.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Why use a 2nd unit PP against Boston? Well let's see...

Because then you can get one of your two top lines back out directly after the PP has concluded 5-on-5, if not both back to back.

Whereas Boston will have to sit their 1st pairing D-men and/or their 1st line forward members.

Thus creating a mismatch...

Wait what?

But that isnt what he did. For a good chunk of the year and including the playoffs the 4th line ended up on the ice right after a PP regardless of who was out.

I also dont have a lot of negative to say about Matthews during these playoffs. I was on him all year long, even when his linemates were playing well he was coasting a lot.

In these playoffs he looked much hungrier. He scored when we needed him, fought in the corners and generally worked pretty hard. Kapanen was a straight up tire fire and Johnnson made a ton of mistakes. Add to the fact that the line basically never had chemistry this year and it was doomed before it started.

The funny thing is, regardless of the Marner/Tavares connection for much of the season, why suffer the rest of the team. Why not at least change it up for a couple of games at least with Matthews and Marner for example, Nylander and Tavares. Or for god sakes MAtthews and Nylander for an extended period.

Not to mention remove Hyman from the top line with someone faster and more skilled for a bit.

Reactions: biotk

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I've posted this before but we seriously need Matthews to give management the ultimatum. It's either him or Babcock, can't have both.

If people thought the friction between them was bad last offseason, it's gonna be even worse now. I'm trying to put myself in the kid's shoes when he's riding the pine with the final minutes ticking off the clock in game 6 after he essentially willed them back into that game on his own, and his thoughts about not even breaking 19 minutes TOI and losing yet another game 7.

I mean it's been clear to me that he has not liked Babcock for awhile now and it's only going to get worse. He's not stupid, he sees the usage of other players of his talent level around the league and how his usage doesn't match up with theirs whatsoever.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
He got ZERO HELP from his linemates. He was a straight one man wrecking crew out there. Kapanen and Johnsson absolutely SUCKED.

I wouldn't say AJ completely sucked, but he was sub-par, apart from game 3. Kapanen was straight trash though.

Unbelievable that Nylander didn't play once with Matthews 5v5.

Reactions: saffronleaf

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Wait what?

But that isnt what he did. For a good chunk of the year and including the playoffs the 4th line ended up on the ice right after a PP regardless of who was out.

Yup. The last PP of the series - with the Leafs down by 2 in the third period of game 7 - the fourth line went out post PP. Matthews didn't step on the ice until 2:15 after the PP ended (AFTER the PP ended - he also wasn't on for the final 45 seconds of the PP - with the Leafs down by 2 in the third period of game 7 - the guy with 5 goals on a team where no one else topped 2).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Johnsson was pretty good I thought. Kapanen had some positive moments, but was mostly just a disaster. I have no idea how Matthews scored 5 goals without a playmaker on his line.

Honestly I just feel bad for the guy. He wants to win so bad, and he performed so well. He must be livid

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Johnsson was pretty good I thought. Kapanen had some positive moments, but was mostly just a disaster. I have no idea how Matthews scored 5 goals without a playmaker on his line
Yeah he had his moments I suppose. He looked pretty good getting the puck up ice when we weren't stretch passing. At the end of the day he's not some gamebreaking talent - more of a complimentary player.

I'm just having a hard time rationalizing things right now... I mean there's shitshows like 2013 where the team just wasn't that f***ing good at the end of the day but it's nothing like this. I know the talent of this team despite what a few dimwits around here say, and I know full well what they are capable of. This is the most frustrating season ever as a Leaf fan.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The Leafs need to either find Matthews a playmaker, or find Tavares a playmaker and let Marner play with him. And no, I don't think William "I QUIT" Nylander is that answer. Maybe Bracco, but that's a lot of pressure for a rookie. Maybe see what's available via free agency? I know the Leafs are facing cap problems, but still...

Personally, I wish the Leafs could find a team convinced that Nylander might be an effective second line center solution and trade him either for a good playmaking winger, or a good defenceman.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yeah he had his moments I suppose. He looked pretty good getting the puck up ice when we weren't stretch passing. At the end of the day he's not some gamebreaking talent - more of a complimentary player.

I'm just having a hard time rationalizing things right now... I mean there's ****shows like 2013 where the team just wasn't that ****ing good at the end of the day but it's nothing like this. I know the talent of this team despite what a few dimwits around here say, and I know full well what they are capable of. This is the most frustrating season ever as a Leaf fan.

The truth is, this looked like a team that had quit on its coach at various junctures of this season.

Just playing totally emotionless hockey and the overall work ethic of the team was unimaginably bad.

They just looked like a totally disfunctional group that got by because of allstar talent/depth and having a good goalie.

When it came to the structural side of the game its just hilarious how bad we were at things like puck support, gap control, having a effective breakout.

Some people will blame the players and go as far sometimes at saying trade Matthews is he's at odds with the coach but I cant give that much chance when the coach cant do optimal things.

How does Marleau play more on the PP than Marner and Tavares in a home game where you can take out a team that's owned you for so long? I don't think I've ever seen something so bizzare.

dosages

Oct 16, 2017
This might be Babcock's last Summer trip to Arizona to patch things up with Matthews again if he isn't careful.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Thankfully Auston got signed before the coach demonstrated again how he likes to be puppet master in the playoffs. I’m not sure if they were talking this offseason that they could get a deal done.

I think Auston was fantastic in this series. Far and away the best forward on either team IMHO. He’s going to lead this team to a bunch of playoff series wins, assuming the coach at the time let’s him over the boards.

He should have been double shifted, not short shifted, last night.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This man got robbed of the chance to be a difference maker in game 7
Auston Matthews has it made...

When he plays well, even though his BEST season was only a PPG + 5, he is Generational and the best player on the Leafs.

When he plays poorly, it is everyone else's fault.

Wow! How do I get on that train?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
So...

While Marner and JT were shutting down easily one of the best lines in hockey (plus Chara) for 59 minutes and 59 seconds, Matthews got to play against Boston's second stringers - and Matthews was STILL a Minus 3.

And yet, according to the crew here, he was the Leafs best player - and all the goals against were everyone else's fault!

Again, how do I get on that train?

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

When he plays well, even though his BEST season was only a PPG + 5, he is Generational and the best player on the Leafs.

It must be tough that the player you have spent days trashing scored more goals this series than the next two highest Leafs combined.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It must be tough that the player you have spent days trashing scored more goals this series than the next two highest Leafs combined.
Next year, God willing, Auston Matthews will have to play against Boston's Big 3. After all, when you score against "The Sisters Of The Poor" line, it's not too difficult.

As for the Auston Matthews' blessed life...

Here is ALL of us, plus John T and Mitch Marner, trying to get on the "Auston Matthews Train"...

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It must be tough being a Minus 3 when the players you played against weren't even that good.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I said this during his first year and neophyte fans tried to tell me I was wrong. I didn't care knowing I was right.

Matthews needs to play a more aggressive game. He needs to learn that hitting is a part of the game.

Reactions: ORRFForever

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So...

While Marner and JT were shutting down easily one of the best lines in hockey (plus Chara) for 59 minutes and 59 seconds, Matthews got to play against Boston's second stringers - and Matthews was STILL a Minus 3.

And yet, according to the crew here, he was the Leafs best player - and all the goals against were everyone else's fault!

Again, how do I get on that train?
Have you tried being the best in the world at anything?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Next year, God willing, Auston Matthews will have to play against Boston's Big 3. After all, when you score against "The Sisters Of The Poor" line, it's not too difficult.

Never said they are easy.

He played 21:04 against Bergeron with 1 GF 0 GA and 64.3% SCF.
Tavares was 64:30 against Bergeron with 1 GF 3 GA and 48.6% SCF.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I said this during his first year and neophyte fans tried to tell me I was wrong. I didn't care knowing I was right.

Matthews needs to play a more aggressive game. He needs to learn that hitting is a part of the game.

Matthews threw 14 hits in 7 games during the 2018 playoffs. Fans felt it was his worst performance ever.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Was disappointed with his play for the first 2 games but Matthew's was good for the other games.

He didn't carry his line though or tilt the ice when he was on which we know he is capable of.

The series loss is definitely not on auston.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Auston did what he could to will this team. Too bad no one else could finish. Also doesn't help when your coach plays you all of 5 f***ing minutes in the 3rd period in a Game #7. :facepalm:

Reactions: mallory67

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

BE the best goal scoring Center in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad