Auston Matthews

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
So you think its good to give Patrick Marleau and Tyler Ennis and Kasperi Kapanen as much time on the PP as Matthews, Tavares and Marner?

I believe in going with the hot hand for powerplays.

Your answer, seemingly, is to keep going back to the same failing unit.

Mine is to try the 2nd option.

Maybe what he should have done is adjust the powerplay and not run the same PLAY every single PP (force the puck to Marner and have him try cross ice pass's)

You would have noticed that wasn't what the Leafs have been doing if you actually watched the games.

I mean tonight they literally swapped Matthews and Marner on their off-side to give Matthews a better shot angle, but they still did nothing with it.

But again, watching could have helped you realize this...not just reading ice-time numbers after the game.

Marleau a guy whos a total blackhole offensively plays more PP time than two PPG players in a crucial game where we can eliminate our opponent HAHAHAHA

Keep making excuses for this clueless coach.

Keep making garbage analysis.

And maybe watch the games.

This isn't baseball where you can just lazily read the boxscore after the game and make your judgments based on that.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Matthews & Nylander were both an island on their lines during the series. Both guys were making great individual plays but they had zero chemistry with their linemates (or their linemates just couldn't generate any passes for them or do anything with the passes they received).

The Kadri suspension puts Nylander in a tough spot but you could have at least tried putting Marner with Matthews and putting Ennis/Moore with Nylander. It was never tried, not even a period.

Anyways, these are not the two guys I'm worried about. They aren't top 10 NHLers in the league yet but they do their job they need a proper coaching system though.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marner didn't even have a single shot on net for like 2 or 3 games this series. Bergeron is a great player, but he's not superman

Bergeron is also visibly injured and playing at maybe 75%.

You either need a line like Hyman-Tavares-Kapanen to just run chip plays and not even try to score, just cycle to kill time, or you need an overloaded Johnsson-Matthews-Marner line to force them to play messy river hockey and trade chances.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner is neither here nor there. They're not that hard to play against, and they've been thinking offense all year long until this series. Marner second guessing his instincts is not a good look.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

You would have noticed that wasn't what the Leafs have been doing if you actually watched the games.

I mean tonight they literally swapped Matthews and Marner on their off-side to give Matthews a better shot angle, but they still did nothing with it.

But again, watching could have helped you realize this...not just reading ice-time numbers after the game.

This isn't baseball where you can just lazily read the boxscore after the game and make your judgments based on that.

Going to the hothand? You mean Patrick Marleau with like one assist and Tyler Ennis? Since when are those guys the hot hand?
You make it sound like our second unit was stacked with killers who were going to give you just as good of a chance to score as the first unit which is hilarious.
You're basically saying you have as much trust in a few scrubs to score as our max dollar star players.

Tonight was like the first time in forever that the PP actually did something different and the fact we had to wait until the 2nd period of game 7 is Ludacris.
This would have been a great thing to try about 2 months ago when our PP was trash and gaining no traction.

Whats garbage analysis?

Are you actually trying to say Marleau is a effective offensive player at this point?

The length you're trying to reach to defend Babcock is quite amazing.

Anyone that actually has watched this team without bias has seen Marleau has been a dud for pretty much the entire season and definitely down the stretch.

Keep waiving those Babcock pom poms and blaming a first year GM.

Dude couldn't even handle a tough question postgame and just walked out like a true loser.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If the excuse is they came up short against one of the best lines in hockey, then yes I'm using an excuse.

Now what does that say about Matthews?

Playing against David Krecji? :laugh:

But look at Matthews' linemates -- essentially two rookies who do not complement Matthews at all. But Marner has top 5 C Lord JT.

Reactions: stopclickbait

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Oh wow, he waits until the last game to try that out, he had all season... Actually looked good mind you, but a little late. He should've clearly played his better players more in the third as well, no excuses for how he utilizes his players.

Reactions: weems

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Going to the hothand? You mean Patrick Marleau with like one assist and Tyler Ennis? Since when are those guys the hot hand?

The 1st unit has not been a hot hand at all.

There's no debating it.

You make it sound like our second unit was stacked with killers who were going to give you just as good of a chance to score as the first unit which is hilarious.
You're basically saying you have as much trust in a few scrubs to score as our max dollar star players.

I'm making it sound like the 1st unit isn't working.

In spite of all these "max dollar star players" playing together.

Tonight was like the first time in forever that the PP actually did something different and the fact we had to wait until the 2nd period of game 7 is Ludacris.
This would have been a great thing to try about 2 months ago when our PP was trash and gaining no traction.

You're only acknowledging the adjustment was made tonight because I just pointed it out. Otherwise you wouldn't have said anything, likely because you didn't watch the game or don't notice things like that.

You're a baseball fan after all. That's what you do here on HFboards...you post on the Jays forum lol.

And what about using Andreas Johnsson on the 1st PP?

Was that not also an adjustment? Seemed to work the 1st game after Kadri departed..

Whats garbage analysis?

Are you actually trying to say Marleau is a effective offensive player at this point?

The length you're trying to reach to defend Babcock is quite amazing.

Anyone that actually has watched this team without bias has seen Marleau has been a dud for pretty much the entire season and definitely down the stretch.

Keep waiving those Babcock pom poms and blaming a first year GM.

Dude couldn't even handle a tough question postgame and just walked out like a true loser.

Just seems like you're better at baseball analysis than hockey.

In hockey you actually have to watch the games, I'm afraid to say.

Evidently you don't, or don't do it well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matching up head to head against Bergeron and Marchand... one of the best hockey lines on the planet.

That's where Matthews was supposed to flourish while that line took on the best line in hockey.

That's the assignment Tavares and Marner were given. If Mitch wants $11 million, he can't come out on the losing end on that one. In the big picture, Boston is probably out in the second round, so it's not even like we are playing the best of the best here.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Oh wow, he waits until the last game to try that out, he had all season... Actually looked good mind you, but a little late. He should've clearly played his better players more in the third as well, no excuses for how he utilizes his players.

They didn't do anything despite that change...

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The 1st unit has not been a hot hand at all.

There's no debating it.

I'm making it sound like the 1st unit isn't working.

In spite of all these "max dollar star players" playing together.

You're only acknowledging the adjustment was made tonight because I just pointed it out. Otherwise you wouldn't have said anything, likely because you didn't watch the game or don't notice things like that.

You're a baseball fan after all. That's what you do here on HFboards...you post on the Jays forum lol.

And what about using Andreas Johnsson on the 1st PP?

Was that not also an adjustment? Seemed to work the 1st game after Kadri departed..

Just seems like you're better at baseball analysis than hockey.

In hockey you actually have to watch the games, I'm afraid to say.

Evidently you don't, or don't do it well.

You simply don't under probabilities.

Regardless how well the first unit was playing theres a WAY higher chance they get you a goal then scrubs like Marleau or Ennis.

The fact you somehow brought up baseball which I almost NEVER post in is straight up hilarious.

Marleau sucks and is a total blackhole offensively and proved it this playoffs.

Have a good night bro. It wont be long until we fire Babcock and everyone sees how much of a fraud he was all along.

Reactions: authentic

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's the assignment Tavares and Marner were given. If Mitch wants $11 million, he can't come out on the losing end on that one. In the big picture, Boston is probably out in the second round, so it's not even like we are playing the best of the best here.

They handily lost their match up in a very close series.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matching up head to head against Bergeron and Marchand... one of the best hockey lines on the planet.

That's where Matthews was supposed to flourish while that line took on the best line in hockey.

Ummmmm he did remember? Matthews got stuck with 2 rookies because Nylander held out and you can’t give the biggest FA signing garbage

Matthews played Bergeron head to head for like 5’min and out shotnhim 8-1

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Felt bad for Matthews could just tell there was no chemistry on that line he did his best to carry it on his own but he needs another skilled player who can cycle the puck win battles in the corner with him like Nylander.

Reactions: biotk and Tmart335

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Can you imagine someone saying your giving garbage analysis when you criticize Patrick Marleau?

2 assists in the series.

Dude crushed it and definitely deserved to play more than Marner or Tavares on the PP.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Why would you want unit 2 out when they're even dog ****tier?

Why use a 2nd unit PP against Boston? Well let's see...

Because then you can get one of your two top lines back out directly after the PP has concluded 5-on-5, if not both back to back.

Whereas Boston will have to sit their 1st pairing D-men and/or their 1st line forward members.

Thus creating a mismatch...

Reactions: Tmart335

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad