Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
every elite player has a cult following of people who hate them and try to put them down at every turn, but I've never seen such a group of people within that player's fanbase like with Matthews
It is truly disgusting. Matty is best pure goal scorer we have ever had. At even strength in today's game it is so much harder to score then it has ever been. and he is BEST in hockey at it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
"lesser production than Matthews..." classic zeke making things up to support his narrative.

Rookie
Malkin 85 points in 78 games
Matthews 69 points in 82 games

Sophomore
Malkin 106 points in 82 games
Matthews 63 points in 62 games

Malkin had a higher peak in goals, assists and points after his 2nd season. Also he had 22 playoff points in 20 games which is better than anything auston has done.

There is no debate.

Malkin got more average TOI snd got stapled to their 1st pp unit. Context of production matters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I've been away for a while and won't be back reading - but are the "realists" pretending to be surprised that "70pt player" Matthews is at a 50gl/100pt pace this year (even with the PP being mostly useless) now that he's getting closer to 20mpg?

Or is this being dismissed as just a fluke?

Reactions: stickty111 and IPS

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I've been away for a while and won't be back reading - but are the "realists" pretending to be surprised that "70pt player" Matthews is at a 50gl/100pt pace this year (even with the PP being mostly useless) now that he's getting closer to 20mpg?

He always starts strong, gets injured at some point, and ends up with 65-75 points. Same thing will likely happen this year.

I’d be thrilled if he keeps up this production though. And then he would at least be somewhat near earning his contract.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He always starts strong, gets injured at some point, and ends up with 65-75 points. Same thing will likely happen this year.

I’d be thrilled if he keeps up this production though. And then he would at least be somewhat near earning his contract.

so your take on Auston Matthews is that it is only reasonable to project that he will be significantly injured every year, and should be paid commenserate with that.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
so your take on Auston Matthews is that it is only reasonable to project that he will be significantly injured every year, and should be paid commenserate with that.
After 3 elc years he was never able to surpass 74 points, and so he should have been paid accordingly.
Every 70 point player has “excuses” for only having 70 points.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
After 3 elc years he was never able to surpass 74 points, and so he should have been paid accordingly.

actual time spent on the ice is not an excuse, it's an integral fact.

if one "70pt player" is radically better offensively than another "70pt player", then maybe you should consider that the label "70pt player" actually doesn't mean anything useful at all.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
if the point of labeling players is to classify them for useful ease of comparison from one to the next, applying the same label to two very different classes of player sort of eliminates the point of using labels in the first place, no?

if you want to call Matthews an injury prone 90pt player that's fine, but calling him a 70 point player is disingenuous and really takes away any contextual value of the "70pt player" moniker

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

This is one of the worst takes I've seen yet. Honestly, man, you should be embarrassed by this. I would edit it/delete it.

@CantLoseWithMatthews sometimes I feel like we don't really deserve players like Matthews with a fanbase like this. His play this season has easily been worth his contract. These same people are the ones using Pastrnak type deals that were signed in very different context as their reasoning. It's unrealistic, and illogical.

Our fans will gleefully bellyache about contracts which fit within the margins of reason (even if they are on the higher end) but completely ignore that Dubas has yet to sign a single anchor (Backes, Faulk, etc).

Reactions: IPS

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

"Realist" here.

25 games played for auston:

19-20 season: 16 goals, 14 assists, 30 points

18-19 season: 19 goals, 16 assists, 35 points.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, but its definitely not a good one.

Or are you going to tell me that 16 goals, 30 points > 19 goals, 35 points? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
This is one of the worst takes I've seen yet. Honestly, man, you should be embarrassed by this. I would edit it/delete it.

@CantLoseWithMatthews sometimes I feel like we don't really deserve players like Matthews with a fanbase like this. His play this season has easily been worth his contract. These same people are the ones using Pastrnak type deals that were signed in very different context as their reasoning. It's unrealistic, and illogical.

Our fans will gleefully bellyache about contracts which fit within the margins of reason (even if they are on the higher end) but completely ignore that Dubas has yet to sign a single anchor (Backes, Faulk, etc).

We definitely deserve the players. Don’t let trolls convince you otherwise.

Just because someone follows the Leafs or posts on the Leafs board, doesn’t mean they’re a Leafs fan.

You just have to learn to ignore them. For example, whoever you replied to, I can’t even see their post.

Reactions: Eye Test

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Who did?

Nylander is our "star" 60 point center.

Oh sorry, let me rephrase:

Imagine referring to Matthews as a 70 point player :dunce:

Did you also call McDavid a 40 point rookie?

Crosby was a 60 point player in 2010. It’s amazing everyone considered him the best in the league.

Yup, you’re the smart one. Everyone else is wrong...

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
We definitely deserve the players. Don’t let trolls convince you otherwise.

Just because someone follows the Leafs or posts on the Leafs board, doesn’t mean they’re a Leafs fan.

You just have to learn to ignore them. For example, whoever you replied to, I can’t even see their post.

You are probably right. Seems to be a lot of those types on our board, that do a good job toeing the line.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Malkin got more average TOI snd got stapled to their 1st pp unit. Context of production matters

Context is important, I agree.

But so is being honest.

Zeke said "He had no cups, and lesser production than Matthews...".

This is demonstrably false.

You can say that auston has better /60 rates than malkin, sure. But Malkin did not have "lesser" production than Matthews.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
well, only because nobody else's "70 point players" produce anywhere near the actual rate that Matthews does.

I'm not sure why anyone would pretend that looking at something as obviously important as ice time is "mining a whole bunch of insanity", though.

You are both kind of right. Whereas there is a solid correlation of points to TOI (r^2 of .92), the correlation of p/60 to TOI is actually poor (r^2 of .15). What does this mean? Who knows. We do know that p/60 clearly decreases when players up their toi/ game by 3 minutes or more. It isnt a stretch to say that fewer games keep production levels high (hello Kawhai load management). What we dont know is at what level an injury caused inactivity does to all players. I think the argument is credible from both sides.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Oh sorry, let me rephrase:

Imagine referring to Matthews as a 70 point player :dunce:

Did you also call McDavid a 40 point rookie?

Crosby was a 60 point player in 2010. It’s amazing everyone considered him the best in the league.

Yup, you’re the smart one. Everyone else is wrong...

I never said I was smart or that everyone is wrong. But okay...

McDavid was a 40 point player after his rookie season. He isnt anymore because he has put up 100 points or more 3 times!

Crosby was not a 60 point player after 2010. If you take the 5 seasons before his 66 point one, he is 2nd in points with 470 points in 331 games. That's an average of 116 points every 82 games.

If auston had of played all 82 games last year, his pace wouldve been for 88 points.

Obviously he isnt "just a 70 point player". But that is all he has accomplished so far and yet some try and say he has been the 2nd best player since he came to the league!

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Get over it

Enjoy the player
This is the way to go. Losing games sucks. Not being perfect every game sucks. Not winning the Cup every year sucks. But if you are going to nitpick everything, it won't be fun being a fan and the journey will also mean nothing. Essentially it becomes "Wake me up when we've won the Cup or eff off."

Enjoy the positives you get even if there may be a blemish. Matthews is someone to enjoy amidst the overall context of this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad