Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
ahh,,,,, you did not like his 97p in 2017/18?
Whoops my bad I forgot it was a couple years ago. Regardless could you imagine the reaction of this board if we drafted Nathan? Damn, we would have lost our minds the first 4 years

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Matthews is awesome and anyone picking on little things are trolls. This guy is so good it is ridiculous! Not saying he is perfect but he leads all centers in goals, is the best of the best centers on faceoffs, climbing up the league scoring ladder with linemates that have struggles at certain points in the first 20 games.

I wouldn’t trade him straight up for McDavid and he will prove me right on that statement. Is best shot in the league easily. People stop posting on here because posters actually find things to complain about in mean,negative ways against Matthews. He is completely deadly and the only flaw is his confidence in his talent leads him coast at times.

The work ethic has come back lately and i wonder just how deadly he will be the next 20 games. He could be pounts and goals leader in the entire league at the 40 game mark if Willy and Johnny keep up the better/ more consistent play they are showing recently.

Complaints about him are funny to me. They make no sense in his overall game whatsoever! ;)

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Matthews is awesome and anyone picking on little things are trolls. This guy is so good it is ridiculous! Not saying he is perfect but he leads all centers in goals, is the best of the best centers on faceoffs, climbing up the league scoring ladder with linemates that have struggles at certain points in the first 20 games.

I wouldn’t trade him straight up for McDavid and he will prove me right on that statement. Is best shot in the league easily. People stop posting on here because posters actually find things to complain about in mean,negative ways against Matthews. He is completely deadly and the only flaw is his confidence in his talent leads him coast at times.

The work ethic has come back lately and i wonder just how deadly he will be the next 20 games. He could be pounts and goals leader in the entire league at the 40 game mark if Willy and Johnny keep up the better/ more consistent play they are showing recently.

Complaints about him are funny to me. They make no sense in his overall game whatsoever! ;)
No way. There are six people ahead of him in points that make substantially less money than him. I don’t accept that.

Seem unreasonable?

Sure.

But unreasonable contracts come with unreasonable expectations. If he wanted fair expectations, then he should have signed a fair contract.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No way. There are six people ahead of him in points that make substantially less money than him. I don’t accept that.

Seem unreasonable?

Sure.

But unreasonable contracts come with unreasonable expectations. If he wanted fair expectations, then he should have signed a fair contract.

He is 6th in scoring so there are only 5 ahead of him for starters.

4 are on the top two lines in the league and Carlson is not going to maintain but has been awesome!

McDavid makes more so don’t B.S.

McDavid and draisaitl $21,000,000
Matthews and Nylander/ Johnsson $22,000,000 approx
Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta $19,800,000 approx

Willy and Johnsson have just started getting going and we will see where the cap value stands as the season goes for them lines. Seems to me you are looking to make a big deal over a couple million dollars.

All play significantly more minutes than Matthews except Pasta and i want it to be known I’m trying to take nothing away from any players higher in points than Auston.

It looks like your money arguement is blatantly wrong looking at them lines and salary on them lines. Sorry this argument didn’t work out for you because 4 the players ahead are on the best two line in the game and playway more minutes and that the lines overall salary are very close unless you want to argue over nickles now.

Matthews will pass them all shortly anyways! Can’t wait ;)

The greatest scorers in the league historically get goal scorers premiums on contracts.Just see Ovechkins contract and let everyone know how one of the greatest goal scorers of all time was also flawless in all other aspects of his game.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I think Matthews has a lot of Sundin in him. Mats too took a lot of heat when he first got here for being soft and lethargic but be the end of his career he proved himself a warrior. One of the greats of his generation and a HOFer. I know the same will be true for Matthews. I just hope it's on the Leafs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
He is 6th in scoring so there are only 5 ahead of him for starters.

4 are on the top two lines in the league and Carlson is not going to maintain but has been awesome!

McDavid makes more so don’t B.S.

McDavid and draisaitl $21,000,000
Matthews and Nylander/ Johnsson $22,000,000 approx
Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta $19,800,000 approx

Willy and Johnsson have just started getting going and we will see where the cap value stands as the season goes for them lines. Seems to me you are looking to make a big deal over a couple million dollars.

All play significantly more minutes than Matthews except Pasta and i want it to be known I’m trying to take nothing away from any players higher in points than Auston.

It looks like your money arguement is blatantly wrong looking at them lines and salary on them lines. Sorry this argument didn’t work out for you because 4 the players ahead are on the best two line in the game and playway more minutes and that the lines overall salary are very close unless you want to argue over nickles now.

Matthews will pass them all shortly anyways! Can’t wait ;)

The greatest scorers in the league historically get goal scorers premiums on contracts.Just see Ovechkins contract and let everyone know how one of the greatest goal scorers of all time was also flawless in all other aspects of his game.
All of your arguments are very reasonable.

So I would agree with them if he signed a reasonable contract.

But outrageous contracts come with outrageous expectations. I don’t care about his linemates or any of that bullshit. Considering term, he’s making as much as McDavid. So I expect MUCH more. He wanted fair expectations? He should have signed a fair contract.

Reactions: hudster

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
All of your arguments are very reasonable.

So I would agree with them if he signed a reasonable contract.

But outrageous contracts come with outrageous expectations. I don’t care about his linemates or any of that bull****. Considering term, he’s making as much as McDavid. So I expect MUCH more. He wanted fair expectations? He should have signed a fair contract.

If outrageousness is the is the way of proper evaluation now then i am fighting losing discussion. He can’t be denied that he is the even strength scoring king and it also can’t denied that he plays less minutes that on a points sixty is better than McDavid over the first 20 games. So he is in fact out performing McDavid on minutes actually played points. He has scored more goals so far than Connor and is only four points off his production that if you wanted to calculate on points per dollar is likely a better cap efficiency at 20 games in.

So McDavid type production is not good enough for you!

Yes that is outrageous;)

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If outrageousness is the is the way of proper evaluation now then i am fighting losing discussion. He can’t be denied that he is the even strength scoring king and it also can’t denied that he plays less minutes that on a points sixty is better than McDavid over the first 20 games. So he is in fact out performing McDavid on minutes actually played points. He has scored more goals so far than Connor and is only four points off his production that if you wanted to calculate on points per dollar is likely a better cap efficiency at 20 games in.

Yes that is outrageous;)

Don't forget, it's better than McDavid production with worse than McDavid linemates. Just for the contract to be fair.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Anyone who says they wouldn't trade matthews straight up for McDavid is a massive homer.

Theres nothing wrong with that. Just makes you unbiased when it comes to assessing this team.

Reactions: hudster

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I was kinda down on his play earlier but man he's been great recently, his line seems like the only one that generates constant chances in the offensive zone.

Hopefully he keeps it up, a 53-53-106 pace is great

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Lol oh boy....

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
This entire line is not the problem. Nor is it either of the bottom 6 lines’ fault. It’s the second line, yes, the SECOND line.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Not to make this about Mcadavid or compare it to him

There's a player who says wants to be best and plays like he wants to be the best. Coach in coach out. Injuries or no injuries
He brings it every game every shift

Reactions: Dragao6

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

Yes that is outrageous;)
Yes, I agree, my expectations for Matthews are outrageous.

But outrageous contracts come with outrageous expectations. He did this to himself.

If he wanted fair expectations, he should have signed a fair contract.

Reactions: hudster and Dragao6

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Don't forget, it's better than McDavid production with worse than McDavid linemates. Just for the contract to be fair.
If people are actually trying to put Matthew's in McDavid level then I'm done with leafs nation. McDavid plays vs everyone, shows up and doesnt coast, it's ridiculous how good that guy is....Matthew's has his games, score a few meaningless goals when were losing by many and on paper looks like hes playing well when in fact hes been coasting for awhile. Let's hope this settlement with security guard being done with gets him going now...

Using Matthew's weaker linemates remember the few times babcock actually put marner on Matthew's wing?? How well did that go??

But Matthew's is no mcdavid, not even close so stop it. Keep tour numbers to yourselves with all the hypotheticals.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
No doubt our best player the last little while. But, unfortunately, that ain't saying much.

Overpaid and not nearly as good as McDavid (while Matthews is going to make more money than McDavid over 8 years after their ELC)...how come he didn't go to Dubas and say "here, take some money back to build a better team around me" like McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad