Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Unreasonable expectations sounds like your issue, not his.
It's not my contract that is unreasonable. It's his.

And unreasonable contracts come with unreasonable expectations.

He hasn't been nearly good enough considering his contract. This is precisely how it works. A players performance is weighed against their contract. Always has been.

Reactions: hudster and Dragao6

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matthews is awesome and anyone picking on little things are trolls. This guy is so good it is ridiculous! Not saying he is perfect but he leads all centers in goals, is the best of the best centers on faceoffs, climbing up the league scoring ladder with linemates that have struggles at certain points in the first 20 games.

I wouldn’t trade him straight up for McDavid and he will prove me right on that statement. Is best shot in the league easily. People stop posting on here because posters actually find things to complain about in mean,negative ways against Matthews. He is completely deadly and the only flaw is his confidence in his talent leads him coast at times.

The work ethic has come back lately and i wonder just how deadly he will be the next 20 games. He could be pounts and goals leader in the entire league at the 40 game mark if Willy and Johnny keep up the better/ more consistent play they are showing recently.

Complaints about him are funny to me. They make no sense in his overall game whatsoever! ;)
Agreed top 10 in league in points, goals, +/-, face offs and puck possession. He is an all world player. I would only consider trading him for either MAC or McJesus. No one else. Not even 4 1st rounders. It is not nearly enough. All we need to do is give him a big tough left wing who can skate and get more pucks for him. Put Wilson on Toronto and you could start to plan the parade.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's not the Marner camp school of though

I'm not sure who is the center when Draisaitl and McDavid are out together.

Draisaitl is number 1 for face-offs on the Oilers, McDavid is 4th.
PP FO: Draisaitl 85, McDavid 7

I think Draisaitl is more the center on their line, except for glory.

Matthews is definitely, a center.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017

He hasn't been nearly good enough considering his contract. This is precisely how it works. A players performance is weighed against their contract. Always has been.

They're only your expectations, those aren't the expectations of most people.
Matthews didn't hold out. He didn't refuse to report for training camp. He agreed to a deal the team offered him.
Should he have said no?

The art of negotiation is to ask for the world and settle for much less. He obviously asked for a lot and the team agreed. The team was under no pressure to do so as it was the middle of the season and time was not an issue. What exactly did Matthews do wrong?

We have one of the most talented players in the league and yet this fan base wants to shit on the guy. What is wrong with Leafs fans?

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
They're only your expectations, those aren't the expectations of most people.
Matthews didn't hold out. He didn't refuse to report for training camp. He agreed to a deal the team offered him.
Should he have said no?

The art of negotiation is to ask for the world and settle for much less. He obviously asked for a lot and the team agreed. The team was under no pressure to do so as it was the middle of the season and time was not an issue. What exactly did Matthews do wrong?

We have one of the most talented players in the league and yet this fan base wants to **** on the guy. What is wrong with Leafs fans?
I don’t care about any of what you just said.

His contract is outrageous, so my expectations are outrageous. Yours should be as well.
For the players that have fair contracts, my expectations are fair.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
I don’t care about any of what you just said.

His contract is outrageous, so my expectations are outrageous. Yours should be as well.
For the players that have fair contracts, my expectations are fair.

Most people are sane, rational and logical.

The good thing is now I know what to expect of your posts and I will just ignore them in the future, as they carry no weight with me and they shouldn't carry weight with anyone else either.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Most people are sane, rational and logical.

The good thing is now I know what to expect of your posts and I will just ignore them in the future, as they carry no weight with me and they shouldn't carry weight with anyone else either.
You know you're going to get a thoughtful and insightful post when the first sentence is "I don't care about any of what you said."

Really makes it easy to skip over everything else.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Who decides that your contract is not unreasonable......

You?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
You know you're going to get a thoughtful and insightful post when the first sentence is "I don't care about any of what you said."

Really makes it easy to skip over everything else.
Are you actually trying to claim that a players contract doesn’t affect expectations of that player in the slightest?

Is that really what’s happening here?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Are you actually trying to claim that a players contract doesn’t affect expectations of that player in the slightest?

Is that really what’s happening here?

Nope.

You quoted my post - where does it say that?

Are you actually trying to attribute a line of thought to me that I never once typed or said?

Is that really what's happening here?

Reactions: Jmo89

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Agreed top 10 in league in points, goals, +/-, face offs and puck possession. He is an all world player. I would only consider trading him for either MAC or McJesus. No one else. Not even 4 1st rounders. It is not nearly enough. All we need to do is give him a big tough left wing who can skate and get more pucks for him. Put Wilson on Toronto and you could start to plan the parade.

Hello Korshkov?

Korshkov-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hello Korshkov?

Korshkov-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Maybe ... worth a shot ... certainty a big body with limited skill who is a decent skater. But I have not seen the tenacious play in corners and boards from him yet. He needs to go get puck. and he needs to play a little meaner.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Matthews is on pace for 53 goals, 107 points and while currently in a cold stretch goal wise, is still getting 5-10 shots a game while dominating 5 on 5 play with Nylander. That would be the 2nd most goals, and 4th most points all time in a season for this team...

Why are we complaining about him exactly? Maybe the rest of the roster should step it up a bit.

Last year at the 21 game mark Matthew's had 19 goals and 33 points in his first 21 games. Over an 82 game season that would be 74 goals and 128 points.

By the end of the year, his pace fell to 44 goals and 88 points.

If auston finishes this season with over 100 points, I'll change my username to "Matthewsisthegreatest" or something along the lines.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
It ok to be a homer but my guess is that someone who thinks they are equal in value just doesnt watch McDavid enough. Dont get me wrong. AM has a very unique release and he is definitely a high end elite player. McDavid on the other hand does things I cant even understand like cross overs from his heels and scissor twists from his hips that make him the most deceptive skater in determining direction that I have ever seen. Not ready to give him goat status yet but Jesus...he is the epitome of generational player definition.

Well said.

Like you mentioned, Mcdavid does things that leaves me in complete awe. He scores goals and makes moves that I never thought were possible.

One just has to look to last nights game vs the aves. Guy had 6 points and was a complete monster out there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matthews is on pace for 53 goals, 107 points and while currently in a cold stretch goal wise, is still getting 5-10 shots a game while dominating 5 on 5 play with Nylander. That would be the 2nd most goals, and 4th most points all time in a season for this team...

Why are we complaining about him exactly? Maybe the rest of the roster should step it up a bit.

I don't know either.

There are parts of his game he can still improve - but his line is one of the gew bright spots on the team.

We spent half a decade pretending Bozam was a 1C, folks just just relax a bit as we have not only that, but one whose one of the top goal scorers in the NHL.

Reactions: OddyOh and Erdinger

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
it's a nice thought................
Not suggesting he's ready today but might be what the doctor ordered.

Third line maybe Johnsson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev (if we can afford him).

Kapanen trade bait for D?

Then we've got guys like Engvall, Marchment (assuming he gets back to form) etc. that can come in for cheap going forward.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not suggesting he's ready today but might be what the doctor ordered.

Third line maybe Johnsson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev (if we can afford him).

Kapanen trade bait for D?

Then we've got guys like Engvall, Marchment (assuming he gets back to form) etc. that can come in for cheap going forward.
with the surprised Soupman's play, I'm just curious to see if his comrade can bring it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad