Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Huh? He hasn't nearly been as bad in the D-Zone as people say he is. People here make such a big deal about being physical that they think just because a player lacks that ability they are one-dimensional.

I think Matthews plays smart in his own zone. He reads the play well most of the time and uses his big frame to fight for the puck. Sure, he is not physical and on some nights it may look like he is coasting but he is not poor defensively. That is for sure.

Whether you think he has been bad or not so bad, you cannot deny that there is room for improvement. I thought Matty was a pretty good 200 foot player in his first year. He has all the tools but he seems more interested in using those tools more on O than on D. Took Stevie Y a long time to figure it out but he did. The same might be true for Matty.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
When Matthews feels like taking over a game, no one can stop him.
He and Nylander are a perfect combo.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
My standards for Matty are insanely high we need to him to elevate from his 1.07 ppg last year to 1.20 +. Here’s hoping this is the start of an even better Matthews. It would be nice if he proves he is better then Barkov and maybe even Mackinon while passing the aging Malkin/Crosby this year. Also, he is 1 point away from career PPG. Please please stay healthy and have 1 big year so the haters can stop calling you a “70 point” player. We know Matthews can score but I want to see him become a top 3-5 player in the game.

Moving forward, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin should move out of the top 5-10 in the next couple years just because of age. Bergeron, Kane, Stamkos also getting older. These were main stays in the league top 7 players.

So there’s going to be room in the top 5 players category

After McDavid and Kucherov, who had a slow start) and Mackinnin there’s some questions who can be top 5 players

Matthews, Draisital, Barkov maybe Pettersson.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
True. If you look at the last 10 games it's 12 goals for Matthews, 6 for the rest of the team

Is that counting his linemates ;)) Johnsson and Mikheyev should switch for at least a spell and see if it produces more third line scoring. Kappy andJohnsson have a chemistry thing which is basically unexplainable. They are just good together

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Anyone see the goal by McDavid against Anaheim?

That's what I want to see out of Matthews. Take it to the D and drive the net. Matthews stronger and bigger.

That's the part frustrates me the most. He doesnt believe his size is an asset

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
These fancy stat people are so out to lunch.

Defensively: bergeron >> Matthews. No amount of fancy stats can change that.
What is too advanced about goals and scoring chances against? If you think it's a bad thing to give up fewer of those, maybe your understanding of hockey isn't very good?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I asked you a direct question first. Do you think Matthews deserves to be criticized for being awful defensively when he's allowing fewer goals and scoring chances against than Bergeron?

What? Here's your post.

What is too advanced about goals and scoring chances against? If you think it's a bad thing to give up fewer of those, maybe your understanding of hockey isn't very good?

You asked 1 question.

"What is too advanced about goals and scoring chances against?"

You added a second question mark but it wasnt really a question directed at me.

So no, you did not already ask me that question. I will answer your questions first though.

1. Nothing is to advanced about goals and scoring chances.

2. My understanding of hockey is pretty good.

Now, care to answer mine?

Do you honestly think Matthew's is better defensively than Bergeron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad