Auston Matthews Proving Me Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Make the damn sticky thread about Matthews already. This is getting ridiculous. Yes, he's having a crazy start but it is still only 4-5 games.

Chill out. If he gets 50 in 50 we can talk comparing him to McDavid.
But McDavid never got 50 in 50..... So wouldn't that make Matthews better? ;)

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
This site values advanced defensive analytics over goals so im not surprised he gets disrespected. this forum thinks Barkov is better.

Reactions: ThewThew

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
We get a lot of disparaging comments @TheJackAttack and a long list of people he will never be "nearly as good as'.

Really it's a bit too early to make any bold claims but lots of players break out year 3 so this could be a hard year for non Leaf HFers. I mean, most Sabre fans think you have 2 players better than him and with higher ceilings right?

I think that is what they mean. I guess the hope is our boy becomes undisputed #2 and until he makes it undebatable there will b a lot of rival fans to prove wrong, which of course may never happen.

This isn’t about that.

And one day dahlin may be the best dman in the league it’s not a matter of thinking. That’s what everyone had said and so far dahlin has been rock solid with great plays and hits and so far he’s been a big difference as to why they’ve been playing good. Eichel against Vegas yesterday was a beast in his own end defensively and then kfffwneivwlg had ten scoring chances and five of them should of gone in two posts, and two guys fanning on empty nets that would make eichel the leading scorer in just three games played. Reinhart got the post on eichel a backhand no look spinorAma pass and sheary fanned on a pass from eichel hd an open net, eichel the. Missed the empty bet by an inch to rob him of the hat trick.

Yes it’s not a matter of thinking eichel a skill set if he was with great players does have a offensive ceiling. Matthews has been better so far, there’s a lot of things eichel had been equally as IMpressive at but I don’t expect someone who never watches eichel to understand though..

I watch EVRY leaf game. I actually see both players I don’t take anyone seriously who doesrjtbwatch both but I’m not getting into this.

I came i here to praise Matthews and I get in return the biggest comolaint you have is that people say eichel has a higher offensive ceiling? How are you even offended by that? Eichel averaged more points per game the. Him since he entered the league and most importantly you don’t watch him for crying out loud.

There’s gotta be some better example then that line.

Mar 26, 2010
It's too bad he didn't get drafted by Toronto. I see him taking a Crosby type discount for his home team.

I'm sure matthews and marner will take deals.
Yeah, McDavid wanted to be a Toronto Maple Leaf badly. The kid loves Toronto. He was a massive Leaf growing up.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I made an argument in a different thread and now humbly i have to say i was wrong,
Matthews has already 7 goals, 10 points this season, ill leave it that thing to that :) .

I might not be a Leafs fan but Matthews is growing into me
- i still hold my ground on that, that you guys will not make it in the play-offs this season,
you guys just do not play good enough, your 3 star players and PP is giving you wins,
that won't last the entire season, you have been out shot in every single game,
your D and goaltending is just not good enough

PS. I'm not wrong often,but when i am, i'm happy to admit it.

what a horribly bad take. How does a 105pt team that adds Tavares miss the playoffs.
be prepared to be wrong when the leafs have a playoff spot assured in january.

goaltending? andersen was 4th in vezina voting. he is a notiorious slow starter, but he will end up having a good year

leafs are alot more than 3 players by the way. Matthews,Tavares,Marner,Nylander,Kadri, Rielly (kinda leading the league with 10pts) and Andersen

you are gonna get roasted when this is brought back up later in the year

Reactions: SwollenGoat

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Mentioned this already, but it's worth saying again.

Matthews and Laine have the exact same career goal totals at 81 goals a piece....Matthews in 10 fewer games.

Matthews is every bit as good a goalscorer as Laine. And a much better all round player.

He's quickly moving from the laine/Eichel tier, and into the McDavid tier

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah, McDavid wanted to be a Toronto Maple Leaf badly. The kid loves Toronto. He was a massive Leaf growing up.
But with mcdavid you miss out on marner and Matthews.

I just hope the idiots in charge in Edmonton can give the poor kid a chance. Oilers looked brutal.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
I know it's early but the way he's playing I'm thinking he's going to be at least 12.5 Million. Could he potentially be higher than that if he wins the Rocket and/or the Art Ross as well? He's got a much better shot than McDavid and might have better numbers to prove it. Just wondering because right now he looks better early on.
Lol. Gold.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
From Leafs 20 goals, 17 goals by just 4 players, 13 goals by 2 players; Matthews (7), Tavares (6), Marner (2), Rielly (2)
- Matthews and Tavares both need to continue to play this way thou...

Matthews,Tavares,Marner,Rielly = 85% of the goals
Matthews&Tavares = 65% of the goals

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I’ve always felt Matthews was a top 5 player but didn’t wanna be that guy being called a homer. Marner is playing amazing too, simply making it look like juniors all over again.

The one I have to start admitting I’m wrong about is Tavares I didn’t see the need and thought he would mess our cap up. He has been amazing and braught our team to a new level and even if he did mess up the cap it’s super worth it.

Now Nylander either sign or GTFO

AdvelPill

May 8, 2016
i still hold my ground on that, that you guys will not make it in the play-offs this season you guys just do not play good enough

So we've won 3 out of 4 games, scored 20 goals in 4 games, and we do not play good enough? Riiiight...

your 3 star players and PP is giving you wins

So you're telling me good teams rely on their stars? Who would've thunk it....

that won't last the entire season

So they're suddenly gonna forget how to score?

you have been out shot in every single game

Wrong. We've been outshot in half of our games.

your D and goaltending is just not good enough

Andersen is more than good enough to be the backstop to a contending team.

PS. I'm not wrong often,but when i am, i'm happy to admit it.

You were wrong quite a few times in this thread. But I doubt you'll admit it.

Reactions: SwollenGoat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad