Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews Named To NHL All-Star Game

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
In the end I get why they go at it like this. Try to get every fanbase at least be tempted to turn on the All Star event to watch their team's rep perform.

And really it is the All Star game...All it really serves is giving most of our roster another break to rest up for the remainder of the season. And at least it will be somewhat fun to see Matthews at the event.

Skill wise these teams definitely don't cover the best players, but oh well.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It's because the NHL is stupid.

wouldn't be more stupid to just pick players with no merit involved?
Eichel hasn't played enough and only has 14 points in 18 games
Mantha has only played 25 games and only has 11 goals
Larkin has 15 points in 40 games

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The earlier ballot had nothing to do with who was sent to the All-Star game, if I'm not mistaken. It was simply to determine who the Captains would be.

but pft. why point that out where people can mention how cheap Lou is. I doubt very much Lou is thinking "gee. now Auston made the All Star Team, i have to pay him more money."

like I Like You, I'd prefer he didn't go this season. just because it's just another thing on top of his plate within this season, but whatever. he's going, have fun and enjoy. I wish Marner got selected -like I don't know - I know every team has to be represented, but out of Weber, Marchand, Rask and Marner, I think marner would have been the more "exciting" one to see. but i guess you need the other goalie, the Perennial Hardest Shot candidate, and why not Marchand i suppose.

i guess, it just ives a leigitmate reason to watch ASW i guess.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Eichel has played 18 games that is less than 50% of the sabres games it would be more of a farce if they picked him.

edit: and Larkin has 15 points in 40 games doesn't scream all star to me
you said Mantha not larkin that was someone else he at least could be made to be dserving but has still only played 25 games

But don't you think every single fan in the world would rather see Eichel and Mantha than Okposo and Nielsen? Its just embarrassing for the league, you don't see a major league like the NBA send players like this to their ASGs.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
But don't you think every single fan in the world would rather see Eichel and Mantha than Okposo and Nielsen? Its just embarrassing for the league, you don't see a major league like the NBA send players like this to their ASGs.

If voting holds Zaza Pachulia will be voted in as a starter and that's just as bad imo

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

no I don't last year every keyboard warrior voted for John ****ing scott that is embarrassing.

So in your view the rosters for All star games for the next 10 years will consist of Mcdavid,Matthews,Eichel etc no matter what they are doing in their respective seasons?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Jon Scott scored two goals last year. All assumptions about anything in the all star game need to be thrown out

absolute farce set up 2 goals so he can win it. yay the 4th best NA sport proved its the 4th best NA sport again,

on a personal level I am happy for john scott to get some extra money before he bowed out.

on a NHL loving fan it was so cheesy and embarrassing having there and of course they go full "Rudy" at the end what a surprise

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
absolute farce set up 2 goals so he can win it. yay the 4th best NA sport proved its the 4th best NA sport again,

on a personal level I am happy for john scott to get some extra money before he bowed out.

on a NHL loving fan it was so cheesy and embarrassing having there and of course they go full "Rudy" at the end what a surprise

Can it be considered going "full 'Rudy'" if John Scott is 6'8?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
no I don't last year every keyboard warrior voted for John ****ing scott that is embarrassing.

So in your view the rosters for All star games for the next 10 years will consist of Mcdavid,Matthews,Eichel etc no matter what they are doing in their respective seasons?
I think the issue is mostly caused by the mandatory representation of all teams. Frans Nielsen and Okposo aren't all stars on merit compared to the rest of the league. So, if the league is going to mandate that teams that don't have a legitimate all-star have one sent, at least take someone exciting. To be honest, Detroit should have sent Z, and Buffalo should have one of Eichel, Risto or ROR.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
WHEN IS THIS FARCE OF A GAME ANYWAY? WANNA MAKE SURE I DON'T ACCIDENTALLY TUNE IN. :sarcasm:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can make a case that Marner deserves to be there with Matthews.

of course you can but that case would be thrown out of court. IMO Marner is better than 2 players there Nielsen and Okposo and both of them are there due to the rules of 1 player from each team,

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would bet a lot of money that Toews will not go. he basically said it today,why was he there, Panarin is better than him.
He'll go, he won't step aside for a bunch of reasons. One, he's a heavily marketed brand at this point, the people who endorse him want him there. Two, he's one of the faces of the league. And finally, if he steps aside wanting to take it off, he gets suspended for the next regular game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad