Confirmed with Link: Auston Matthews Named To NHL All-Star Game

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Lou is on the FAN right now, he says the ASG selection isnt an issue for him. Once again proving that the media in Toronto knows nothing about the inside of Leafs management. He specifically referenced that he had a rookie go to the ASG and win the Calder before.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He'll go, he won't step aside for a bunch of reasons. One, he's a heavily marketed brand at this point, the people who endorse him want him there. Two, he's one of the faces of the league. And finally, if he steps aside wanting to take it off, he gets suspended for the next regular game.

didn't he do that last season? he's skipped before.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I think I'm actually in love with Auston Matthews.

I'm a 30 year old straight male.

It doesn't make sense, guys.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Hey man, who you love is who you love.

I catch myself smiling while looking through his Instagram account.

Like when I see him in our jersey, my body and mind are overcome with this euphoric feeling.

It's that feeling you get when you get home from work on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend.

Thread The Needle

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.
Nov 28, 2016
Detroit
Congrats to Matthews. I'm still not gonna watch anything related to any ASG ever. But, it must feel good to know that others believe you are an all-star and for that reason I'm glad Matthews and Laine got the ASG nod (even if Laine may not be able to attend).

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Matthews and Marner both should be there, like others have said. Should be a staple at these sorts of events for the next decade+, along with Nylander.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If Panarin went he would've got another bonus and CHI already in cap trouble...
Haha, good point.

I would bet a lot of money that Toews will not go. he basically said it today,why was he there, Panarin is better than him.

Yeah Toews there is a mystery. These are the perks (if you can call it that) of being one one of the faces of the league I guess.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Matthews is a bit better than the all-star we sent last year :laugh:

Man has this team come a long way in a short time in terms of talent.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Lou is on the FAN right now, he says the ASG selection isnt an issue for him. Once again proving that the media in Toronto knows nothing about the inside of Leafs management. He specifically referenced that he had a rookie go to the ASG and win the Calder before.

Right?
and a lot of people keep trying to make the "oh Matthews signed his contract late, Lou was trying to stiff him." thing is so dumb. it's not true at all. (he just laid that truthbomb again on TSN. like "I am amazed how some theories become fact around here.") :laugh:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Right?
and a lot of people keep trying to make the "oh Matthews signed his contract late, Lou was trying to stiff him." thing is so dumb. it's not true at all. (he just laid that truthbomb again on TSN. like "I am amazed how some theories become fact around here.") :laugh:

the "media" we have here are 75% trolls, luckily for them the last 5 years have had legit material for their anti-leaf rhetoric, now its lips are sealed and those guys are getting nothing so what does a no talent hack do when he needs to spew his garbage opinions on Toronto? they need to make it up of course or they take a few little things and blow them up to be as bad as when the leafs didn't wave their sticks after a game (I never found that stick thing insulting or care about it at all)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Surprised he was the only Leaf named.

I was told that we have some irreplaceable guys. ;)

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Does the East having 2 more teams factor into All Star selection and weekend at all?

Well in the sense that the NHL requires that all teams have at least 1 representative and that the Atlantic division is limited on how many players they can choose from a particular team. Factor in further limitation of having to choose amongst those 8 teams, 6F, 3D and 2G it becomes even more difficult and therefore more deserving players may be left off.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Who were the notable exceptions?

Vanek, Zetterberg, Giroux, Voracek, Kopitar, Duchene, E. Staal, Benn, Getzlaf, Perry, Scott (previous year mvp), Kessel, Atkinson, Foligno, Wennberg, Saad, Bergeron, Eichel, Scheifele, Ehlers, Panarin.

Would gladly take out toews, okposo, neilsen for some of the above. Other guys I put solely for their reputation ala toews.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Surprised he was the only Leaf named.

I was told that we have some irreplaceable guys. ;)

It's partially due to the format and the requirement to have 1 representative from each team.

Look at it like this. Let's use Florida for example:

GOALIE:
Is Luongo arguably Florida's best player? Yes
Better than Price and Rask? No

DMAN:
Is Yandle or Demers a runner up? yes
Better than Weber, Karlsson or Hedman? No

Then by default they must select a forward as their selection. Which is why Trocheck was selected.

It's the same thing for the Leafs. Realistically the only option you have is to swap Marchand with Marner, Both goalies and dmen are a lock. Then it comes down to whether you feel that Marner is more deserving than Marchand and vice versa.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
the "media" we have here are 75% trolls, luckily for them the last 5 years have had legit material for their anti-leaf rhetoric, now its lips are sealed and those guys are getting nothing so what does a no talent hack do when he needs to spew his garbage opinions on Toronto? they need to make it up of course or they take a few little things and blow them up to be as bad as when the leafs didn't wave their sticks after a game (I never found that stick thing insulting or care about it at all)

well as Shanahan didn't like it, i think he cared ;)

but to keep this about Matthews, seriously, congrats. honestly like I said, and I know TSN was banging some of the drums - Marner would have beaten Rask for sure in my mind.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
well as Shanahan didn't like it, i think he cared ;)

but to keep this about Matthews, seriously, congrats. honestly like I said, and I know TSN was banging some of the drums - Marner would have beaten Rask for sure in my mind.

my post wasnt really worded great i meant little things now they are trying to make as big a deal AS salutegate (i also hate the adding of gate to any scandal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad